Can you cut a single board computer to make it thinner?

Legolessed

I want to make a netbook that is capable of just running movies and web browsing and Omar first I was going to use a normal laptop motherboard but those are suprisingly hard to come by so then I got onto the thought of single board computers. There's always the raspberry pi zero but I figured that would be under powered for anything so I looked to something like an orange pi. I saw an orange pi on Amazon for $13 but they are really tall. Is there any way you can cut off the ports to make the board shorter? Or should I just use a raspberry pi and hope that it can do the tasks above.

Depending on what you mean by "running movies", a Raspberry Pi might be just fine, or a bit of an issue.  See the details at the bottom of the post in the link in my sig.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, Legolessed said:

I want to make a netbook that is capable of just running movies and web browsing and Omar first I was going to use a normal laptop motherboard but those are suprisingly hard to come by so then I got onto the thought of single board computers. There's always the raspberry pi zero but I figured that would be under powered for anything so I looked to something like an orange pi. I saw an orange pi on Amazon for $13 but they are really tall. Is there any way you can cut off the ports to make the board shorter? Or should I just use a raspberry pi and hope that it can do the tasks above.

If you were looking into a Pi and have a bigger budget (I'm talking between 90 and 150$ US) you should look at Lattepanda.

It's a really nice small windows machine with a quad-core processor and 2 to 4Gb RAM ;) They come with Windows Home pre-installed and activated.

Here is a plan of the board with the main functionalities:

Img02.gif

You can see more details about it here: http://www.lattepanda.com/product-details/?pid=3

We used it at my last job for cloud workstations. I was impressed by how well it runs! If you can, I recommend strapping a small heatsink on it, because at 100% after a while it becomes really toasty. Other than that, it's awesome!

EDIT: found he heatsink with small fan. Costs around 12$ US: http://www.lattepanda.com/product-details/?pid=14

Otherwise you can look at Intel's Computer stick: http://www.intel.com/buy/us/en/product/desktop/intel-boxstck1a8lfc-atom-z3735f-133ghz-linux-usb-black-stick-pc-463163

I don't have anything to say about it though, I saw some articles about it a while ago.

You can just desolder all the ports and solder in ribbon wires to the ones you need. It will be a pain but it will be alot shortened

You take a look at the pi zero?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

13 hours ago, bob345 said:

You take a look at the pi zero?

Ya but the pi zero is sold out everywhere or costs $25 which is way more than what it is worth. I was looking at some of the orange ois and stuff like that which are power efficient and good for what I am doing but the USB port And the Ethernet jack are really tall