AMD Vega with 16GB memory and 1600 MHz clock ( Confirmed )

Go to solution Solved by rattacko123,
2 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Wouldn't that mean that game devs would have to code for this? From what I gather if this is true then is memory allocation done on the games side or the GPU side? If it's done by the game side then the devs would have to code the game to allocate less memory which would not be very likely they would bother doing extra work just because AMD uses HBM2 in a low amount (4gb). Or is it on the display driver side and AMD can make it so it allocates less on the GPU side of things. Not sure I asked my questions as clearly as I'd like but yeah.

The game asks for it and its up to the driver to manage it ( i might be wrong though)

2 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Wouldn't that mean that game devs would have to code for this? From what I gather if this is true then is memory allocation done on the games side or the GPU side? If it's done by the game side then the devs would have to code the game to allocate less memory which would not be very likely they would bother doing extra work just because AMD uses HBM2 in a low amount (4gb). Or is it on the display driver side and AMD can make it so it allocates less on the GPU side of things. Not sure I asked my questions as clearly as I'd like but yeah.

The game asks for it and its up to the driver to manage it ( i might be wrong though)

AMD Teasing their Radeon Pro SSG again. Wonder if it'll have Vega inside.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

1 minute ago, rattacko123 said:

Yes sir! Everything matches juuuust right. Considering the enterprise cards are usually clocked lower than the gaming high-end ones; let's hope RX Vega breaks that 1600Mhz barrier :D

20 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Considering we have no HBM2 cards to test with, you're only speculating.  I suppose you could say the same about my post, though it is at least based on reports of the technology.

No, but the move to HBM2 won't change the speed vs capacity issue that we see with cards rocking 4GB of HBM vs those rocking 6+GB of GDDR5/5x.

@MadyTehWolfieis completely correct. The Fury X manages higher bandwidth than every consumer card Nvidia offers, but loses to the 980Ti (and probably the weaker 1060) the second a game actually requires more than 4GB of VRAM.

Of course, this is ignoring AMD's approach of disallowing excessive RAM allocation, because the effectiveness can change between not only games, but what version of that game, and the OS's resource allocation.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

17 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Yes sir! Everything matches juuuust right. Considering the enterprise cards are usually clocked lower than the gaming high-end ones; let's hope RX Vega breaks that 1600Mhz barrier :D

Let's hope they don't get cheeky and push the first one with a clock of 1601MHz.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Let's hope they don't get cheeky and push the first one with a clock of 1601MHz.

They would never do that... now 1600.01....

23 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

All it took was an AIO liquid cooler :P

Just now, Valentyn said:

All it took was an AIO liquid cooler :P

No, it takes LN2. That additional 1MHz is a bitch.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Pixel fillrate only 90 GPixel/s? Is it because this is not for gaming?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

11 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Correct it's a Pro card that competes against the Quadros and was benched live against the Tesla P100. 

2 hours ago, Valentyn said:

Correct it's a Pro card that competes against the Quadros and was benched live against the Tesla P100. 

But previous Firepro card have similar GP/s compare to their Radeon cards like W9100 vs 290x.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

so only 34% better than fury-x.

hmmm

but I guess Fiji outperformed hawai without a pixel fillrate edge... So hard to draw conclusions

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

so only 34% better than fury-x.

hmmm

but I guess Fiji outperformed hawai without a pixel fillrate edge... So hard to draw conclusions

Yeah, can't gouge the performance base on GP/s. 290x have 60% more GP/s compare to 480 but perform the same.

15 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Huh that's pretty good, wonder how it does when dev like cod like to load the whole game into Vram. xD past 3 cod games say 8+GB Vram cause they are stupid. Either way that's pretty cool. 

Another example was shown at AMD's last presentation (Financial Analyst Day).

As mentioned in the video the Vega card was artificially limited to 2GB of VRAM and we know from Techpowerup how much VRAM can use and it really just shows how wasteful games can be (or how far behind memory bandwidth is).

memory.png

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

-double

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 5:24 AM, MadyTehWolfie said:

Modern games now use a lot of Vram. 4gb is the bare minimum and for a lot of the games now will not cut it especially at higher res which is what cards like the 1080 and 1080ti are made for and to a certain degree the 1070. Having 4gb is a no no and was barely acceptable back when the 900 series was out.

Seeing I can run mirror's edge catalyst in hyper settings with a supposedly needed 8GB of Vram no matter what, while I only have a 4GB Fury... it is acceptable if well utilized.

Kinda regretting my 1080Ti purchase.

That thing will probably be backordered for months tho.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

8 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Kinda regretting my 1080Ti purchase.

That thing will probably be backordered for months tho.

Dont be the 1080ti is a beast of a card and until vega actually gets released and the benchmarks comes out. Why feel sorry. I myself have got a GTX 1080ti and im not worried at all. Worse case is that Vega is faster than 1080ti but if by some random fate that Vega is faster i cant see it being a huge leap faster.

Be happy with your puchase and tbh you should no that NO Matter what GPU or CPU you buy your allways going to get it outdated eventually. That PC tech for you.