CPU - Good/Bad?

Hello!

At the moment I have the Intel i7 4790 3.6GHz LGA 1150 ( https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116987 )

When I bought it, I figured it was a decent CPU that went with my motherboard (LGA 1150 socket). And so far it has been performing pretty well, but whenever I use OBS Studio or Stream or Record Minecraft the CPU Usage goes up to 70%+ which makes my game lagg a shit ton and I cannot record or stream with it. Now with my graphic card, I have no problem but it is lower quality.

Is this a good CPU, and if so why is it acting so bad when I stream or record?

Other PC Specs:

GPU: GTX 1080

PowerSupply: 600W

RAM: 16 GB DDR3

Motherboard: MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards H97 GAMING 3

SSD: 128GB

HardDrive: 1TB

Quality Test (Question: Why do I lag so much when I set on CPU at such low settings and bitrate?)

3 minutes ago, Finup said:

Is this a good CPU, and if so why is it acting so bad when I stream or record?

4c/8t cpu can't hold up under the pressure of streaming and recording. ryzen would be better with more cores and threads. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

4c/8t cpu can't hold up under the pressure of streaming and recording. ryzen would be better with more cores and threads. 

I did buy this CPU only about 1 year ago and it was $350. So it would be kinda a waste to throw it away with only 1 year of use and spend $300 on another one, right?

A 4790 should do fine in recording most games. There really shouldn't be a problem with Minecraft. I can record minecraft with my FX 8350 1080p 60fps. It might have something to do with your OBS settings.

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

Just now, Finup said:

I did buy this CPU only about 1 year ago and it was $350. So it would be kinda a waste to throw it away with only 1 year of use and spend $300 on another one, right?

Well, not really a waste, if your serious about recording and streaming at the same time then you could sell your cpu and buy a ryzen

Feel free to quote me if you want an answer

NAS hard drive list feel free to PM me questions or anything about Hard drive as i am in love with them 

I fly the Boeing 737-800 for Turkish Airlines

"Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about America wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bullshit. Americans love to fight, traditionally" - George.S Patton

"There are four hundred neatly marked graves somewhere in Sicily. All because one man went to sleep on the job. But they are German graves, because we caught the bastard asleep before they did." - George.S Patton

"An Army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is pure horse shit. The bilious bastards who write that kind of stuff for the Saturday Evening Post don't know any more about real fighting under fire than they know about fucking!" - George.S Patton

"Sure, we all want to go home. We want to get this war over with. But you can't win a war lying down. The quickest way to get it over with is to get the bastards who started it. We want to get the hell over there and clean the goddamn thing up, and then get at those purple-pissing Japs. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. So keep moving. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper-hanging son-of-a-bitch Hitler." - George.S Patton

Specs

Home Rig:                                                                                                  :

CPU: Intel I7 3770 @ 3.4 Ghz

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo                                                                  

GPU: MSI Radeon Rx 550 Aero ITX 1gb (amazing gpu btw)   
RAM: 2x4 Mismatched Ram Sticks                                                          

Motherboard: Pegatron 2AD5                                                                  

HDD: 1TB WD BLUE                                                                               

Case: HP 7500 Series MT Case                                                            

PSUCooler Master 500W Elite                                                              

Workstation:

CPU: i7 5960x @4.3Ghz

CPU Cooler: Kraken X62                                                                                                                 

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti 1G

RAM: Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz

Mobo: Asus X99- Deluxe

HDD: WD Blue 4TB 5200RPM

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Case: Corsair 750D 

PSU: Corsair RM 750x

Just now, weed said:

Well, not really a waste, if your serious about recording and streaming at the same time then you could sell your cpu and buy a ryzen

Yeah well I kinda just dumped $500 into a GTX 1080 lol. But if its something worth then I will most likely upgrade the CPU.

i7s are fine in those tasks although they are weaker than Ryzen

But I'm wondering what is this PSU model...

12 minutes ago, Finup said:

PowerSupply: 600W

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, Finup said:

Yeah well I kinda just dumped $500 into a GTX 1080 lol. But if its something worth then I will most likely upgrade the CPU.

What are your settings in OBS? It could easily just be an issue software side that's causing you to get terrible performance. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

i7s are fine in those tasks although they are weaker than Ryzen

But I'm wondering what is this PSU model...

thermaltake 650W

thermaltake 650W

Model please, not brand

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Just now, Finup said:

bruhhh....... your problem is 50000 bitrate....... NASA probably couldnt even handle that. Change it to 5000 then try. I've never even seen someone on twitch use more than 5000 for their bitrate.

btw is that a noise machine you're making with those doors?

4 minutes ago, Finup said:

Holy shit a tier 6 PSU in a high end system?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Ophidio said:

bruhhh....... your problem is 50000 bitrate....... NASA probably couldnt even handle that. Change it to 5000 then try. I've never even seen someone on twitch use more than 5000 for their bitrate.

btw is that a noise machine you're making with those doors?

Two things, one the 50,000 bitrate is for RECORDING, not streaming. That is the quality of the recording and it is average. For streaming I only do 3500 bitrate. 

And the doors is I just got bored in single player and I started placing them randomly.

https://gyazo.com/98c07372808ecf066cc90127263e85cd

P.S I play HCF

My boy what the fuck 50000 bitrate. Idk if you mistyped and put in an extra zero when you wrote 5000 bitrate but you'd need a NASA supercomputer to handle that shit

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

Holy shit a tier 6 PSU in a high end system?

What do you mean 6PSU?

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

My boy what the fuck 50000 bitrate. Idk if you mistyped and put in an extra zero when you wrote 5000 bitrate but you'd need a NASA supercomputer to handle that shit

Bitrate of Recording and then Streaming are two different things guys.

As you've got an Nvidia GPU, you should get GeForce Experience which has Shadowplay built into it as it's better than third party software. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

As you've got an Nvidia GPU, you should get GeForce Experience which has Shadowplay built into it as it's better than third party software. 

I have tried shadowplay and its good and what not, but the quality isnt that great. I am trying to get perfection quality like so - 

Just now, Finup said:

Two things, one the 50,000 bitrate is for RECORDING, not streaming. That is the quality of the recording and it is average. For streaming I only do 3500 bitrate. 

And the doors is I just got bored in single player and I started placing them randomly.

https://gyazo.com/98c07372808ecf066cc90127263e85cd

P.S I play HCF

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

That's what I'm saying. Even in recording that's still a lot of power being taken from your CPU. 

Even if we both happen to be wrong and that bitrate has nothing to do with the problem then try using NVENC as your encoder. It works a lot better when you're using an Nvidia GPU vs trying to let your CPU encode everything. Especially in Minecraft since Mincraft uses more CPU power than anything take that GPU power you aren't using at all to boost your performance. 

12 minutes ago, Finup said:

Ryzen would be ideal, but if you don't want to shell out another $550 or so on an AM4 system you could use NVENC for encoding instead of H.264. It'll offload the encoding to your GPU instead of CPU, and doesn't impact performance that much, only 5-10%. It's not as good as h.264 but it's still pretty good.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 minutes ago, Finup said:

What do you mean 6PSU?

Simply speaking, bad quality PSU
@STRMfrmXMN is it a good PSU?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

@FinupJust realized you're using 50,000 bitrate for encoding... Holy shite. Dude you don't need that, no wonder your cpu is getting thrashed. Turn it down to like 3500 or so and see how that goes, if it still isn't great use NVENC instead.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, Ophidio said:

That's what I'm saying. Even in recording that's still a lot of power being taken from your CPU. 

Even if we both happen to be wrong and that bitrate has nothing to do with the problem then try using NVENC as your encoder. It works a lot better when you're using an Nvidia GPU vs trying to let your CPU encode everything. Especially in Minecraft since Mincraft uses more CPU power than anything take that GPU power you aren't using at all to boost your performance. 

For the past year I have always used my NVENC as my encoder and I get great fps, like it dosent drop at all. But the quality problem is still there and its a bit pixelated. So I figured that if I used the CPU encoder, I would get better quality.