Cpu for 1440p gaming and up

So recently everything has been a bit hectic and confusing with people saying ryzen doesn't game as well as Intel at 1080p however i'm just wondering what is the story once you start to move up to higher resolutions as most of these chips are £300+ so i don't think its unreasonable to think that alot of people are also going to be rocking £300+ gpu and higher res monitors so what the story once you step up resolution and the games become more dependant on the gpu does intel still hold the lead or does it really not matter past a certain point of power? 

Well if you just plan to game then a 7700k is fine

The geek himself.

at higher resolutions, it doesn't matter. for pure gaming a 7700k will be the best but everything else 1700 is better. 

At 1440p/4K Ryzen lineups are IMO a better choice than Intel because the performance difference is minimal at 1440p and basically non-existent at 4K while minimum framerates and frametimes are better on Ryzen CPUs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

For 1440p up to 100Hz, get a Ryzen CPU. For 1440p 100+Hz get a 7700K

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

at higher resolutions, it doesn't matter. for pure gaming a 7700k will be the best but everything else 1700 is better. 

but by how much mate best by 0.1 fps is a pretty hollow victory if a ryzen 5 will match it then cream it in cpu tasks

Well if you just plan to game then a 7700k is fine

if you just plan to game a 7600k is the max you should go to hyper threading for just gaming is not worth it

but by how much mate best by 0.1 fps is a pretty hollow victory if a ryzen 5 will match it then cream it in cpu tasks

FPS is meaningless. Get Ryzen 5 1600 or better, it will give you nice and smooth gameplay with more consistent frame time.

if you just plan to game a 7600k is the max you should go to hyper threading for just gaming is not worth it

Lel, no. The 7600K is not worth it, even a non K 7700 outperforms it. Hyperthreading for gaming is worth it as newer games use more threads

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

FPS is meaningless. Get Ryzen 5 1600 or better, it will give you nice and smooth gameplay with more consistent frame time.

fps is meaningless great so just get a gtx730 and call it a day right

Not much smoother than a 7700K...

Lel, no. The 7600K is not worth it, even a non K 7700 outperforms it. Hyperthreading for gaming is worth it as newer games use more threads

you are better spending more on the gpu that spending more on your cpu to get higher fps

you are better spending more on the gpu that spending more on your cpu to get higher fps

A 7700 with a B250 motherboard is cheaper than a 7600K with a Z270 motherboard ;)

yeah this entire thing makes very little sense more consistent frame time fps is meaningless you are just making this way more confusing i think you are trying to say you think the  0.1% lows are higher 

fps is meaningless great so just get a gtx730 and call it a day right

Just for reference from benchmarking Rocket League today.

https://m.imgur.com/UVe6S45

The bottom right is 67FPS minimum 93 average but it is completely unplayable.

All the others are about 140avg FPS but the gameplay is noticeably most fluid in the top left case.

in 1440p and 4K, Ryzen can be compared to Intel.

In some cases Ryzen is even better. For example lowest FPS in games ... on Ryzen it's higher than on Intel, so less stuttering and lagging.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

A 7700 with a B250 motherboard is cheaper than a 7600K with a Z270 motherboard ;)

glad you can do maths £30-40 difference in motherboard and £60 difference in cpu price plus one will clock much higher when you overclock seriously you are just talking rubbish 

glad you can do maths £30-40 difference in motherboard and £60 difference in cpu price plus one will clock much higher when you overclock seriously you are just talking rubbish 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($294.89 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($61.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $356.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-10 16:56 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($228.79 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Z270 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($103.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $367.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-10 16:57 EDT-0400

And newer games can use 8 threads so the i7 will perform better than a 7600K at 5GHz and it will have higher 1% and 0.1% lows.

Just for reference from benchmarking Rocket League today.

https://m.imgur.com/UVe6S45

The bottom right is 67FPS minimum 93 average but it is completely unplayable.

All the others are about 140avg FPS but the gameplay is noticeably most fluid in the top left case.

60fps is more than playable and you graphs are complete crap no units, and what gpu can you buy for £300 plus that doesn't just max rocket league at 1440p and 4k its an ea sports game it isn't hard to run a 970 is able to get 100fps at 1440p current cards even more so 

60fps is more than playable and you graphs are complete crap no units, and what gpu can you buy for £300 plus that doesn't just max rocket league at 1440p and 4k its an ea sports game it isn't hard to run a 970 is able to get 100fps at 1440p current cards even more so 

My graphs are for myself, it just happens that I have them. There are units on the left in milliseconds.

And yes, 60FPS is fine... but despite having 67minimum FPS, the game stutters so much it feels like playing on 10, because of the huge frame time spikes.

What I am trying to tell you is that you should get good enough CPU and you are fine, you don't have to look for which one provides you with +10FPS because at 120+ it doesn't really matter that much.

My graphs are for myself, it just happens that I have them. There are units on the left in milliseconds.

And yes, 60FPS is fine... but despite having 67minimum FPS, the game stutters so much it feels like playing on 10, because of the huge frame time spikes.

What I am trying to tell you is that you should get good enough CPU and you are fine, you don't have to look for which one provides you with +10FPS because at 120+ it doesn't really matter that much.

so you are running a 140hz 1440p plus monitor with which cpu and gpu?

so you are running a 140hz 1440p plus monitor with which cpu and gpu?

4770k and gtx 1060 6G

I will be upgrading GPU soon but is perfectly fine for most games at 1440p.

nice work you added at $35 dollar cpu cooler great maths idiot if you randomly add extra parts of course you can make one cost more

But you need a cooler to overclock.... And the 7600K doesn't come with a stock cooler....

and where did you  sentence at the bottom come from anything to back it up or quantify it? 

and you missed the entire point of the thread so you can try and say the 7700k is the one for gaming because an i7 has and is for productivity as those are the more highly paralleled  worth flows a game needs ipc and raw clock speed for almost all games quad cores still rule the gaming world with a few examples that do show improvements but try to think about the big and more general picture 

The stock 6700K is on par with a 7700 non K. And you are right quad cores are the best gaming CPUs, but only if they have hyperthreading.

The entire point is to work out what cpus are good enough. did you even read the thread?

The entire point is to work out what cpus are good enough. did you even read the thread?

Yes, that's why I suggested the R5 1600...