Raspberry Pi NAS

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

you can just use raspbian as the nas, no reason to use a different os, just install samba.

I got a Raspberry Pi and wanted to use it by plugging in my external hard drives into it and excessing those drives through my network through the Raspberry Pi. I know it'll be slow, but I would just use it to transfer pictures basically. The problem I have is that I want to have a dual boot os where I can either boot the NAS os or the default Rasbian os. I bought a NOOBS sd card with the Raspberry Pi and wanted to know how to add a NAS os to NOOBS. Thanks!

I think it's much easier to just switch the cards if you need to run another OS. For running a NAS i would use OpenMediaVault.

why not just make a samba share on raspbian? it's really not harder than that.

has to be said tho, it'll be slower than you expect. the pi's ethernet jack and ALL usb ports go trough a single USB2.0 link.

the thing with noobs to my knowledge, is that its just multiple installers on it, if you switch your os with noobs, it wipes the drive except the noobs partition.

you're better off just using Samba like others have mentioned, or changing out sd card

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

the thing with noobs to my knowledge, is that its just multiple installers on it, if you switch your os with noobs, it wipes the drive except the noobs partition.

you're better off just using Samba like others have mentioned, or changing out sd card

i've actually heard that noobs is harder to install than regular raspbian :P

4 hours ago, manikyath said:

i've actually heard that noobs is harder to install than regular raspbian :P

yep, done it, not fun.... at all....

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!