i5 7600k 100% CPU usage in all games and hits 76c easy under load

Go to solution Solved by Notional,

To elaborate a bit more, a 1070 is a very powerful card, and as such, a 4 core, 4 thread CPU is simply not enough for most modern games. Now that 6-8 core Ryzen CPU's are out for the same price, Intel I5's should simply be dead and gone. They serve no purpose anymore.

What you can do, is force your GPU to be the bottleneck (as it should) by maxing out settings to lower FPS. If that does not suffice, maybe bite the bullet and upgrade to a 7700k.

Okay so if anyone could help me with this i would be so happy. I'm no newbie when it comes to computer systems and i just feel like i've exhausted all my options. Basically my problem is that any game i play maxes out my cpu. Really i wouldnt mind this except for the fact that this chip gets so darn hot(around 76c under load) it makes my H100iv2 sound like a jet engine. Which is extremely annoying. I have reseated the cooler, reset and reinstalled the bios, including removing the cmos battery. I have all the latest drivers installed. I have reinstalled windows. When sitting idle my cpu usage is around 5-10% and the temp is around 40c for the package. Im just not having any luck here. Some of my daily games include, CSGO, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Minecraft, Titanfall 2, Battlfield 1, and Project Cars.

My Specs:

i5 7600K overclocked to 4.8GHZ with 1.3V stable with prime95 (chip hits 87c)

GTX 1070

16gb ram

msi z270a pro mobo

240gb ssd

1tb hb

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

...yes it's called a bottleneck 

I hardly would think a i5 7600k would be bottlenecking at gtx 1070 in the slightest

3 minutes ago, r2good4u said:

I hardly would think a i5 7600k would be bottlenecking at gtx 1070 in the slightest

a 7600k is actually not a very powerful cpu. its kinda sad being a 4c/4t cpu at that price range. 

To elaborate a bit more, a 1070 is a very powerful card, and as such, a 4 core, 4 thread CPU is simply not enough for most modern games. Now that 6-8 core Ryzen CPU's are out for the same price, Intel I5's should simply be dead and gone. They serve no purpose anymore.

What you can do, is force your GPU to be the bottleneck (as it should) by maxing out settings to lower FPS. If that does not suffice, maybe bite the bullet and upgrade to a 7700k.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

What resolution? A higher resolution will offset more of the load onto the GPU.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

3 minutes ago, Notional said:

should vsync not eliminate the issue anyway? im only running a 75hz monitor so its not like i need the ridiculous uncapped fps i get anyway.

1 minute ago, MegaDave91 said:

1080p 75hz

1 minute ago, MegaDave91 said:

i could triple monitor my games. i just find the viewing angles annoying for gaming

Just now, r2good4u said:

should vsync not eliminate the issue anyway? im only running a 75hz monitor so its not like i need the ridiculous uncapped fps i get anyway.

It might do, but then you aren't taking advantage of your expensive 1070 card. But of course you can do both: Increase settings and activate vsync. In a gaming computer, the GPU should be the most expensive part, which is also why you want that to be the limiter/bottleneck.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, r2good4u said:

i could triple monitor my games. i just find the viewing angles annoying for gaming

You can also enable DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) in the Nvidia Control Panel.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

12 minutes ago, r2good4u said:

What resolution?

If it's at 1080p it'll bottleneck a 1070.  Anything above 1080p should be fine, I'd imagine.

4 minutes ago, Notional said:

It might do, but then you aren't taking advantage of your expensive 1070 card. But of course you can do both: Increase settings and activate vsync. In a gaming computer, the GPU should be the most expensive part, which is also why you want that to be the limiter/bottleneck.

2 minutes ago, MegaDave91 said:

You can also enable DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) in the Nvidia Control Panel.

yea i guess ill just try doing dsr with vsync

16 minutes ago, r2good4u said:

At 1080p, yes of course, at that resolution the CPU is working far harder than the GPU, which is just chilling and waiting for the CPU to give it commands. As far as gaming goes an i5 7600k is a 2500k with a 7 instead of a 2.

well thanks for the help guys, guess you learn something new everyday right?

3 minutes ago, r2good4u said:

That is the best part of a tech forum imho.

14 minutes ago, Dogeystyle said:

At 1080p, yes of course, at that resolution the CPU is working far harder than the GPU, which is just chilling and waiting for the CPU to give it commands. As far as gaming goes an i5 7600k is a 2500k with a 7 instead of a 2.

Um... not at all.

IPC has improved, and it's clocked higher.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

16 minutes ago, r2good4u said:

To be fair, your CPU bottleneck isn't huge, and will probably get better over time as games get more graphically intensive.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

To be fair, your CPU bottleneck isn't huge, and will probably get better over time as games get more graphically intensive.

I find myself wishing i would have waited for RYZEN lol