Any improvements to this build?

1 hour ago, TheDane said:

Someone else included another 1440p at 23" earlier in the thread. Also about only benefiting from higher refresh rates in FPS titles is simply not true. Everything, including web browsing or what every else you use you PC for, will be more fluent which is much nicer to see and much more noticeable than cranking up the resolution to 1440p instead of 1080p.

And the reason why he should go bigger on the PSU is.... it's only 5 dollars.... it doesn't take up more room in the cabinet or waste more power, so not spending an extra 5$, which is NOTHING.... is just silly since it is almost free additional and potentially useful power for later use

I just noticed something about the Monitor in your spec. It is a Freesync. So you can wave goodbye to the variable refresh rate unless you put an AMD gpu in there. 

As for the PSU the base price is $10 difference. 

I just noticed something about the Monitor in your spec. It is a Freesync. So you can wave goodbye to the variable refresh rate unless you put an AMD gpu in there. 

As for the PSU the base price is $10 difference. 

I said earlier that he should wait for VEGA that's one of the reasons why I think he should get the monitor

5$ or 10$ really is not much to pay when he is going for a 1400$ build

I said earlier that he should wait for VEGA that's one of the reasons why I think he should get the monitor

5$ or 10$ really is not much to pay when he is going for a 1400$ build

Why would you need a VEGA gpu for 1080p ? These gpu's are going to be going against the likes of the GTX 1080 and GTX 1080 ti. so they are more suited to 1440p and possibly 4K depending on how they perform after release.

Also we don't know the release date, only that it is Q2. So that could be anywhere up until the end of June. Aftermarket cards will probably follow a few weeks later so even longer to wait. Plus if rumours are correct they will be in short supply anyway.

As for the psu it doesn't matter if the price difference is $5 or $10. If you don't need it then you don't need it. You are not going to have any issues even with overclocking on a 550W unit. 

23 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($217.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 KILLER SLI/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($138.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston - FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($82.98 @ PCM) 
Storage: Kingston - HyperX Fury 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($80.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  ($474.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($62.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: Acer G247HYU smidp 23.8-inch IPS WQHD (2560 x 1440) Display (Display Port, HDMI Port & DVI Port)  ($215.80 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1391.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-10 02:47 EDT-0400

Is Kingston memory good? Thinking of getting that RAM

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

@lee32uk You do know that a PSU is the most efficient when you only use about 40-60% of the rated power of the PSU, right?

Also, why not get Vega if it turns out good? OP already has plans to get a 1070 and that is a pretty damn GPU for 1080p 144Hz or 1440p 60Hz, plus Vega is said to have a GPU that is a bit better than a 1070 but cost the same. So it is just a win-win, unless OP wants his system now.

ALSO, OP get fast ram, it helps out Ryzen a lot in games. Just remember to keep the timings somewhat low. Like a 3000MHz CL15-16-16-35 kit would be good.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6VgWd6
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6VgWd6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($312.83 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - X370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($172.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($159.74 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  ($103.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($379.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define S ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.89 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1376.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-11 02:49 EDT-0400

What do you think of that?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

6 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Motherboard: MSI - X370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($172.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($159.74 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  ($103.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($379.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.89 @ Newegg) 

Mate, make your own thread that's why you can do that.... That way you will get more responses, don't heist someone else's post when you can make your own

4 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

make your own thread m8. On a side note, shit mobo.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, TheDane said:

Mate, make your own thread that's why you can do that.... That way you will get more responses, don't heist someone else's post when you can make your own

Bro it's for OP

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

5 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Bro it's for OP

The way you wrote the post, it sounded like it was your own build, sorry for that.

However the parts aren't any good, and you forgot a monitor.....

- don't change from the 1600 to the 1700, the OP doesn't need the extra cores when they aren't cheap

- don't use that useless motherboard when you can get a much better one for less or 10$ more depending on the size

- don't buy the 550W PSU when a 650W PSU costs 5$ more

- Please stop with the god damn RGB ram

11 minutes ago, TheDane said:

The way you wrote the post, it sounded like it was your own build, sorry for that.

However the parts aren't any good, and you forgot a monitor.....

- don't change from the 1600 to the 1700, the OP doesn't need the extra cores when they aren't cheap

- don't use that useless motherboard when you can get a much better one for less or 10$ more depending on the size

- don't buy the 550W PSU when a 650W PSU costs 5$ more

- Please stop with the god damn RGB ram

Ok! Change the PSU, i am into Gold  but not the EVGA Nex...

And I am not the rgb guy. Just the same as @LinusTech 

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Ok! Change the PSU, i am into Gold  but not the EVGA Nex...

And I am not the rgb guy. Just the same as @LinusTech 

If you aren't an RGB guy why would you waste money on 16GB RGB when you can almost get 32GB non-RGB.......................................................

And the EVGA Nex was a mistake I have already written that I meant the EVGA Supernova G3 650W PSU

7 minutes ago, TheDane said:

If you aren't an RGB guy why would you waste money on 16GB RGB when you can almost get 32GB non-RGB.......................................................

And the EVGA Nex was a mistake I have already written that I meant the EVGA Supernova G3 650W PSU

Maybe not me alone, just kidding but this is a test where how will non RGB guys respond to RGB products

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

just kidding but this is a test where how will non RGB guys respond to RGB products

i'm fine with RGB but only when it won't compromise other parts of the build when you include it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

5 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

i'm fine with RGB but only when it won't compromise other parts of the build when you include it.

I kinda fine with black and red. Yes RGB is just for color guy. I can't tell the difference between:

Orange and red

Blue and purple

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

@lee32uk You do know that a PSU is the most efficient when you only use about 40-60% of the rated power of the PSU, right?

Also, why not get Vega if it turns out good? OP already has plans to get a 1070 and that is a pretty damn GPU for 1080p 144Hz or 1440p 60Hz, plus Vega is said to have a GPU that is a bit better than a 1070 but cost the same. So it is just a win-win, unless OP wants his system now.

ALSO, OP get fast ram, it helps out Ryzen a lot in games. Just remember to keep the timings somewhat low. Like a 3000MHz CL15-16-16-35 kit would be good.

It won't make any difference on your power bill whether you go for a 550W or 650W. Even going with a Titanium rated unit won't save much, so I don't see your point.

Do we have a release date for VEGA ? No we don't. All we know is Q2 which could be anywhere up until the end of June. And if he wants a non reference model then it will be a further wait.

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

It won't make any difference on your power bill whether you go for a 550W or 650W. Even going with a Titanium rated unit won't save much, so I don't see your point.

Do we have a release date for VEGA ? No we don't. All we know is Q2 which could be anywhere up until the end of June. And if he wants a non reference model then it will be a further wait.

Dude you need to understand this. If your system uses 450w under load, then a 550w gold PSU would use more power than an 850w gold PSU. Look at efficiency curve of the ratings and you will see that around 40-60% is where a PSU is the most efficient. The difference between a 550w and 650w will not be big, but it would allow him to OC more and add or upgrade parts later more freely in the future. The power usage rating of a CPU and GPU is at stock speeds and you exceed this rating fast when you OC.

If you even cared to read my comment then you would see that I wrote: "unless Op wants his system now". If you want to be negative then OP has to wait 1½ months for VEGA, but it might also be 2 weeks wait time.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Dude you need to understand this. If your system uses 450w under load, then a 550w gold PSU would use more power than an 850w gold PSU. Look at efficiency curve of the ratings and you will see that around 40-60% is where a PSU is the most efficient. The difference between a 550w and 650w will not be big, but it would allow him to OC more and add or upgrade parts later more freely in the future. The power usage rating of a CPU and GPU is at stock speeds and you exceed this rating fast when you OC.

If you even cared to read my comment then you would see that I wrote: "unless Op wants his system now". If you want to be negative then OP has to wait 1½ months for VEGA, but it might also be 2 weeks wait time.

Except this system isn't going to use anywhere near 450W. I don't know why you are making such a big deal about the efficiency thing when to the average user it makes no difference in real terms. Do you seriously think that everyone runs their pc at 50% load all the time ? What happens to your precious efficiency when you are just browsing the internet ? 

Here is a review of the EVGA G2 550W that shows the efficiency at different loads. Even at full load you are getting 88.7% efficiency compared to 90.5% at half load. So less than 2% difference.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=440

Link below shows an overclocked R5 1600 @ 4GHz and a Nvidia Titan pulling 283W from the wall with the cpu under 100% load.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/04/11/amd_ryzen_5_1600_1400_cpu_review/5

I read your comment about the gpu and as I said we have no way of knowing the release date. We might not get that until or after Computex.

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

Except this system isn't going to use anywhere near 450W. I don't know why you are making such a big deal about the efficiency thing when to the average user it makes no difference in real terms. Do you seriously think that everyone runs their pc at 50% load all the time ? What happens to your precious efficiency when you are just browsing the internet ? 

Here is a review of the EVGA G2 550W that shows the efficiency at different loads. Even at full load you are getting 88.7% efficiency compared to 90.5% at half load. So less than 2% difference.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=440

Link below shows an overclocked R5 1600 @ 4GHz and a Nvidia Titan pulling 283W from the wall with the cpu under 100% load.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/04/11/amd_ryzen_5_1600_1400_cpu_review/5

I read your comment about the gpu and as I said we have no way of knowing the release date. We might not get that until or after Computex.

His system is going to be near 450w when he games and with his system OCed a bit. Hell the likely hood of it going above 450w is there, depending on how much he OCs. I said when the PSU is at 40-60% load, does this mean that the whole system runs at 50% load? No.

Gratz, you found a system where the GPU basically does nothing. That basically means nothing, unless all you do is CPU intensive with a very small load on the GPU. Games both stress CPU and GPU at the same time, so those numbers are useless.

If you have ever OCed a PC a lot, then you would know that the power drawn is exponential, not linear and that you can quickly use 150w more than what you did when you had your parts at stock settings.

With a 650w PSU you are more free, while with a 550w you are more locked in.

a bit over a half month is so terrible to wait, or not.... As I stated before OP should wait if he can. If he can wait then from what we haven seen so far then the likelihood of a better value card is fairly big and he basically loses nothing from waiting. If he waits then GTX 1070 pricing will either be the same or slightly lower and he gets to see if VEGA is a good GPU or not.... 

Let's be real here if you go out and buy a GPU now and then a month later a new GPU comes out that cost the same or maybe slightly less, but is maybe 10% faster then you would be a bit irritated.

You seem to forget that components are getting more power efficient and not the other way round. Of course overclocking will add more to the power consumption but not 100's of Watts like you are suggesting. The Ryzen R5 1600X for example uses an extra 45W under Prime 95 stress test when overclocked to 3.95GHz. 

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/04/11/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-review/6

You are also assuming that the op is going to overclock which might not be the case.

Only the op can answer the question about waiting. If he doesn't have a gpu that he can use in the meantime then it is pointless buying the system now as he won't be able to use it.

6 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

You seem to forget that components are getting more power efficient and not the other way round. Of course overclocking will add more to the power consumption but not 100's of Watts like you are suggesting. The Ryzen R5 1600X for example uses an extra 45W under Prime 95 stress test when overclocked to 3.95GHz. 

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/04/11/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-review/6

You are also assuming that the op is going to overclock which might not be the case.

Only the op can answer the question about waiting. If he doesn't have a gpu that he can use in the meantime then it is pointless buying the system now as he won't be able to use it.

Um say that to intel, their CPUs keep on sucking more and more power....

That is a single CPU, you forgot to add the GPU which easily can add another 70-80w to its power draw without any problems.

You are also assuming that OP doesn't want to add other things to his system later on...

Who in their right mind would buy everything else than the GPU right now and then wait for the GPU? That would be outright idiotic unless there are some crazy deals going on. You just have a pile of parts that are useless and the chance of a new better part coming out is there, plus buying all of your parts at the same time is rarely a good way to buy parts if you want to save that cash.

Personally I would get a 240GB SSD.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

18 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Um say that to intel, their CPUs keep on sucking more and more power....

That is a single CPU, you forgot to add the GPU which easily can add another 70-80w to its power draw without any problems.

You are also assuming that OP doesn't want to add other things to his system later on...

Who in their right mind would buy everything else than the GPU right now and then wait for the GPU? That would be outright idiotic unless there are some crazy deals going on. You just have a pile of parts that are useless and the chance of a new better part coming out is there, plus buying all of your parts at the same time is rarely a good way to buy parts if you want to save that cash.

Here is a thread from overclockers. The 3rd post down has someone running an i5 4670K at 4.4GHz and an overclocked GTX 1070. 

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/evga-550w-g2-for-palit-1070-game-rock.18760501/

Also what other things are you talking about adding exactly ? 

You seem to have misread the last part because that is not what I said. I said if he doesn't have a gpu that he can use in the meantime (i.e If he is waiting for Vega) then there is no point buying the system now as he won't be able to use it.