I picked up a working PC out of the Recycle Bin...

PSUGuru
Just now, openthatchest said:

dude that's a corsair psu. It looks like my MB, but it's for athlon. i use a core 2 duo (in my signature)

That's my PSU. I put it in there for because the Dell PSU doesn't have a six pin connector, and I needed one to test some GPUs. After that, I put the Dell PSU back in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

ah-ha. gotcha

1 minute ago, QuantumElement said:

That's my PSU. I put it in there for because the Dell PSU doesn't have a six pin connector, and I needed one to test some GPUs. After that, I put the Dell PSU back in.

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'd slap on an old Radeon HD 5450 or something, and use it as an XP box. Or maybe just stick something from that era in there anyway.

That's assuming you have any games that work better on XP.

That's way overkill for XP though. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I want to have some fun with this thing.

I think I'll slap in some low cost 120mm AIO, set it up for Push-Pull, Mod the case to accomodate it, mod side panel to have a window, slap in an SSD or another HDD, add a Gt 710....

I don't care about performance, I just want it to look cool and have fun screwing around with it xD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

1 hour ago, QuantumElement said:

I want to have some fun with this thing.

I think I'll slap in some low cost 120mm AIO, set it up for Push-Pull, Mod the case to accomodate it, mod side panel to have a window, slap in an SSD or another HDD, add a Gt 710....

I don't care about performance, I just want it to look cool and have fun screwing around with it xD

I'd go for NAS, especially if you have files you absolutely cannot lose. Buy some 250GB HDDs from Goodwill or somewhere like that for cheap (it's $5 for a 250gb) and slap them in RAID. Keep backups of important files (pics, gamesaves, etc).

I have an incredibly old Dell Precision (2006-ish) that I turned into a NAS. With two CPUs and eight cores, it's about as fast as an i7-950 at two thirds of the clock speed and runs twice as cool. I keep it in a closet without a display so I can just RDP in.

Don't spend a ton of money on it.

Any OEM info in the BIOS or within Windows?

24 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

I'd go for NAS, especially if you have files you absolutely cannot lose. Buy some 250GB HDDs from Goodwill or somewhere like that for cheap (it's $5 for a 250gb) and slap them in RAID. Keep backups of important files (pics, gamesaves, etc).

I have an incredibly old Dell Precision (2006-ish) that I turned into a NAS. With two CPUs and eight cores, it's about as fast as an i7-950 at two thirds of the clock speed and runs twice as cool. I keep it in a closet without a display so I can just RDP in.

Don't spend a ton of money on it.

Any OEM info in the BIOS or within Windows?

I already have a NAS of sorts. It's an old AM2 system. It has 120gb of storage. I don't really do anything with it, so it just sits there.

I have already determined that i will give this thing to my best friend after I have some fun with it.

I don't intend to spend much more than 150$ on it.

And I will have to check tomorrow, as I will be busy all day today.

47 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

I already have a NAS of sorts. It's an old AM2 system. It has 120gb of storage. I don't really do anything with it, so it just sits there.

I have already determined that i will give this thing to my best friend after I have some fun with it.

I don't intend to spend much more than 150$ on it.

And I will have to check tomorrow, as I will be busy all day today.

Don't even spend $150. Not worth it. Maybe $100, $125.

sell it on kijiji/craig for $60, then put that money towards your new GPU, because that 750Ti you are using is pretty slow

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

1 hour ago, H0R53 said:

Don't even spend $150. Not worth it. Maybe $100, $125.

It'll be worth it to my best friend that that's what matters.

48 minutes ago, MilfShake said:

sell it on kijiji/craig for $60, then put that money towards your new GPU, because that 750Ti you are using is pretty slow

I've already ordered an RX 570 Pulse. So, I already have something much more powerful than a 750 TI

16 hours ago, QuantumElement said:

The HDD is SLOW AS HELL. I think I'll slap in an SSD just for the lols.

But it's actually pretty decent, however the X4 630 has no iGPU, and I have no working GPU. So, there's no gaming potential here. Not yet.

I thought computers needed a GPU of some sort to have video output at all?

I'm just confused why it wouldn't have any GPU if the CPU has no iGPU.  

15 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'd slap on an old Radeon HD 5450 or something, and use it as an XP box. Or maybe just stick something from that era in there anyway.

That's assuming you have any games that work better on XP.

I need to find an older hardware desktop at some point.  I have a copy of XP but when I tried to set up a VM on my secondary desktop it wouldn't run Star Trek Armada properly...

7 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I thought computers needed a GPU of some sort to have video output at all?

I'm just confused why it wouldn't have any GPU if the CPU has no iGPU.  

I need to find an older hardware desktop at some point.  I have a copy of XP but when I tried to set up a VM on my secondary desktop it wouldn't run Star Trek Armada properly...

I dunno. Apparently the Athlon X4 630 doesn't have an iGPU.