windows 7 prod key from dead system

Go to solution Solved by ttam,

You need to run produkey as admin (right click click run as administrator) 

You can also press F8 (normally) and will give the boot menu, scroll down and hit Disable automatic restart on system failure so that when it BSOD,s you can see the screen and not have it appear for a second and reboot

A few days back, I acquired a new system from a friend. It was in working condition but was in need of a few upgrades. After a few hours of said upgrades and swapped hardware, the system failed to boot shortly before the lights form the windows logo. A BSOD was visible for less than a second before the system re-starts into the repair tool and then proceeds to fail, listing an unrecoverable error. I was planning on striping the key and taking the machine to windows 10 (I still have the installation tool). I attempted to recover the key from the repair tool but failed due to not having the admin password. I also do not have the disk for windows seven ultimate so the repair function there is out. I even tried produkey on my main rig to strip the key but it could not seem to locate it. Are there any other options available without getting the system to boot? if anyone has any ideas, That would be fantastic.

Also just for clarity, the BSOD is NOT the primary issue.

When in doubt, Increment! 

You can get the Win 7 .iso from Reddit.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

no COA label, no invoice, no license. you need to posses a license for MS call center to issue you a new key

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

There are shady parts of the internet that you can get a completely clean copy of the windows 10 iso for free (this part as far as I know is frowed upon but perfectly legal because it does not give you the product key or anything like that)

then go here for a 30 dollar product key....

https://www.kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key/

derp

You can also press F8 (normally) and will give the boot menu, scroll down and hit Disable automatic restart on system failure so that when it BSOD,s you can see the screen and not have it appear for a second and reboot

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

11 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

You can get the Win 7 .iso from Reddit.

does the ISO contain the repair tool or do I need the disk for that? I have a win 7 pro disk but not ultimate.

5 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

no COA label, no invoice, no license. you need to posses a license for MS call center to issue you a new key

Maybe I wasn't clear on what I wanted to do. my fault entirely. What I mean is that the drive still works but windows wont fully load.

I have access to every one of the files on that disk from my personal rig. Is there a way I could retrieve the registry of that machine, without finishing a boot?

1 minute ago, Linksys120n said:

There are shady parts of the internet that you can get a completely clean copy of the windows 10 iso for free (this part as far as I know is frowed upon but perfectly legal because it does not give you the product key or anything like that)

then go here for a 30 dollar product key....

https://www.kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key/

You can download the Windows 10 media create tool from Microsoft and it has the option to download the ISO and even burn to dvd/make a bootable usb from it.. 

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

1 minute ago, Linksys120n said:

then go here for a 30 dollar product key...

a product key is not a license. you need all the other stuff that ships with the product. OEM is not license for a home built PC. I could go on in more detail if you like, but basically a webstore based in hongkong that distributes only keys is not operating legally. If they were in the USA they would be raided like kim dot com

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, ttam said:

You can download the Windows 10 media create tool from Microsoft and it has the option to download the ISO and even burn to dvd/make a bootable usb from it.. 

I actually saved it for later use after the program ended because i had to do some weird things to my desktop to get it there...

1 minute ago, Coalman321 said:

does the ISO contain the repair tool or do I need the disk for that? I have a win 7 pro disk but not ultimate.

Any of the discs will contain the repair tools. Windows Update will usually be able to tell if the key was for X version, but not always. Reddit should have all of the .iso available.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, Coalman321 said:

I have access to every one of the files on that disk from my personal rig. Is there a way I could retrieve the registry of that machine, without finishing a boot?

was the 7 ultimate OEM from a company like dell? if it was then the PK in the machine is a useless MAK.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

30 minutes ago, Coalman321 said:

A few days back, I acquired a new system from a friend. It was in working condition but was in need of a few upgrades. After a few hours of said upgrades and swapped hardware, the system failed to boot shortly before the lights form the windows logo. A BSOD was visible for less than a second before the system re-starts into the repair tool and then proceeds to fail, listing an unrecoverable error. I was planning on striping the key and taking the machine to windows 10 (I still have the installation tool). I attempted to recover the key from the repair tool but failed due to not having the admin password. I also do not have the disk for windows seven ultimate so the repair function there is out. I even tried produkey on my main rig to strip the key but it could not seem to locate it. Are there any other options available without getting the system to boot? if anyone has any ideas, That would be fantastic.

Also just for clarity, the BSOD is NOT the primary issue.

barlic adviser will pull the key

Personal Rig:

CPU: i7-11700K  | Mobo: MSI Z490-A PRO | RAM: 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB = 16 GB  | GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 Strix (I know I need to upgrade) | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Red 2 TB, and WD Red 4 TB | Case: Enermax Ostrog Black and White | PSU: EVGA 750GT 80+G | Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S in Push/Pull with Black Noctua Industrial Fans, 2 120mm Noctua Chromax Fans, and Corsair AF120 on the side panel | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 32" Samsung (of somesorts) 1920 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Mouse: Logitech M705 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Random: 90mm of CableMod RGB Magnetic Strips | OS: Win 11 Education x64 

32" Samsung CF397 1920 x 1080

Linux/test Box:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  | Mobo: ASRock AB350M mATX | RAM: 2x Crucial 8 GB DDR4 = 16 GB | GPU: Asus GT 1030 | Storage: Sandisk SSD Plus 120 GB, Samsung 970 Evo 256GB SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate IronWolf NAS Drives  | Case: Cooler Master N200 mATX | PSU: EVGA 400W | Cooling: Stock Cooler and 3x Cooler Master 120mm Fans | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 34" LG 43WL500-B 2560 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Keyboard: Logitech K270 | Mouse: Logitech M185  | OS: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Windows 10 Pro x64

13" Macbook Air M1:

CPU: Apple M1 8-Core and 7-Core "GPU"  | RAM: 8 GB DDR4  | Storage: 256 GB | Display: 2560 x1600 Retina Display | Mouse: Built-in trackpad and Logitech M557 | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: MacOS Monterey

Laptop (Acer Pedator Helios 300 2017 edition) (Don't use as much anymore since graduating college and mostly using my Macbook and HP Elitebook for Work):

CPU: i7-7700HQ  | RAM: 16 GB DDR4  | GPU: GTX 1060 6 GB | Storage: Samsung 980 500 GB SSD and Seagate 1 TB Firecuda | Display: Acer IPS 15.6" 1920 x 1080 Display | Mouse: Logitech M557 and built-in trackpad (never use lol) | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: Windows 11 Pro x64

Home Theater Setup

Computer: M1 Mac Mini w/8GB RAM and 256 of Storage (plus a external 500GB Samsung T7 for Plex) | TV:LG 4K - 55" UQ9000 LED | Speakers: Sonos Ray and 2 Sonos One SLs for Rear Surround | Media Box: Apple TV 4K | Consoles: Xbox Series S and Nintendo Switch | Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech K400 | HDHomerun Flex 4K and HDHomerun Flex Duo

Other Devices I use:

Phone: iPhone 13 Mini 128GB  | Tablet: iPad Mini 5 64GB LTE | Earbuds: Airpods 3 | Watch: Apple Watch SE 44mm

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

was the 7 ultimate OEM from a company like dell? if it was then the PK in the machine is a useless MAK.

As far as i can tell, the system was not OEM. It was an old home server system (machine says life storage on the case) that had a raid array and a boot drive. It was a mashup of consumer parts from 2012 ish.

Well considering You Don’t Need a Product Key to Install and Use Windows 10, all the people telling you to pirate or acquire a grey market key have moot points. (Not to mention it's not allowed to link piracy)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 hours ago, Coalman321 said:

As far as i can tell, the system was not OEM. It was an old home server system (machine says life storage on the case) that had a raid array and a boot drive. It was a mashup of consumer parts from 2012 ish.

the difficult thing here is you dont appear to hold anything you can use to get windows 7 ultimate activated by MS customer service. Also windows 7 ultimate is discontinued and very difficult to find, you might get lucky getting a second hand retail, but not without risk. There was someone on the spiceworks forum a few months back that had one.

One thing I can think of is clonezilla the disk and then install the image onto a virtual machine, but like i said above extracted keys do not always work, because its not the way you're suppose to get a key. If it was it would be a lot easier

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

7 hours ago, ttam said:

So I have to credit ttam here. Idiot me late at night forgot that i needed to do that. silly me.I just had to run it as an admin and the disk loaded up and the keys appeared.

I think some people are missing the point. It doesn't matter if you have the product key or not. If you don't have a retail or OEM license with a proper license sticker then you don't own a copy of windows. If that's the case extracting a product key from that machine or using google to get a hacked copy is the same.

Full retail copies from Microsoft go for $200/$120 for Pro/Home. You can probably get that cheaper from a local shop.

If you really want to go the cheap way, find a broken computer on craigslist that has a OEM license sticker on it and then update that to Win10 (i believe you can still do that).