Disney scientists use ambient radio waves for wireless communication

Disney Research scientists have found a way to let electronic devices use ambient radio waves to “talk to one another,” meaning wireless radios could no longer be necessary.

Between this and the wireless power transmission thing. It looks like Disney is coming up with some interesting ideas. I for one look forward to augmented reality contact lenses that are powered and transmit data without the need of a battery stuck to the eyeball.

How would you want to see this tech used?

Source

VIa: Source

Edited by WilliamRandol
Remove color.

UWB and back scattering?!? Good luck with that bad SNR. Also the data rate will be quite low. But nontheless it would be great for some specialized applications.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Yeah, at the end of the actual article from Disney it says:

For the first time we demonstrate the simultaneous use of 17 ambient signal sources to achieve node-to-reader communication distances of 50 meters, with data rates up to 1 kbps.

8 minutes ago, WilliamRandol said:

Yeah, at the end of the actual article from Disney it says:

Well 50 meter is great for UWB, but this is under controlled conditions.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

what? how are wireless radios no longer necessary if they still talk wirelessly? whatever they use to receive and transmit radio waves still is a wireless radio right?

Just now, tlink said:

what? how are wireless radios no longer necessary if they still talk wirelessly? whatever they use to receive and transmit radio waves still is a wireless radio right?

It's called back scattering. Someone needs to transmitt radio waves, but on you end you get away with opening or shorting the end you your antenna that's exactly how RFID tags works.

But if you "hop on" existing signals like radio / TV both ends can get away without applying power to the antenna. But the signals are very weak and it's very difficult to detect them.

Sounds like a great idea, if you have something like an app/device designed to receive a simple "blip" signal and play a blurb. I foresee them using this in their parks for interactivity. 

Well, they've already discovered mind control so this does not surprise me in the least.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

First it was true wireless charging from Disney and now this? I wonder if Disney us trying to be a wireless carrier? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Whenever I hear the phrase "Disney scientists" I immediately imagine whimsy fairy tale characters in lab coats.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220