Setting up new home network

Mouldybanana

Information is at the Bottom of the image :)

Network.thumb.png.0e69fa2d19d0af405c44e2571262d396.png

Heres some information to begin with:

Current Setup

1. Using UnRaid as storage server only
  2. Only using the Router AP for WiFi
  3. Dont have full coverage for home with just the AP

Proposed Setup

1. Have multiple APs for better coverage (looking at the UBIQUITI NETWORKS UBI-UAP-AC-PRO)
  2. Use the UnRaid Server for DNS/DHCP
  3. Still Use the UnRaid Server for Files
  4. Have the UnRaid server be used for storing security footage from IP cameras

So my question is what is the best software/hardware option for this?

1. I've looked at dnsmasq for the DNS but i would prefer a solution with a GUI interface.
  2. Pretty sure a Windows Server VM in UnRaid would work but not entirely sure.
  3. Is there any other hardware i'd need?
  4. What other options do i have?

PUtting your router on a vm does make it a pain if something goes wrong or you want to ugrade the server, just saying.

1. Id just install pfsense or untange. Boom easy os that has dns,nat, caching, dhcp and all you need

2. Win server runs just fine in a vm.

3. Poe (or poe switch)injectorfs for the aps and camera

4.Id personally swtich from unraid to anouther os like proxmox or just plain kvm. You get more control with networking and storage.

As stated above, you really don't want to have your storage server in between your network and the cloud.  Nor do you want it to handle the DHCP functions.  If you have to take your server down for any reason, even for a hardware upgrade, you kill your whole network.  

Although I like the idea of giving 1 physical system the responsibility of what would traditionally be multiple systems I wouldn't recommend putting the DHCP router inside a virtual machine on a file server. If UnRaid misbehaves and the router VM stops functioning you'll have a hell of a time recovering it if you don't have IPMI on a separate network interface. DNS i think is fine though I've never used it myself (my own DNS server) so I could be wrong.

Also if the file server handles all the network traffic you'll lose file transfer performance when the network is being heavily utilized.

For wider WiFi coverage definitely use access points and not routers with access points built in unless you want to make your wireless network separate from your home network.

I would go with the proposed picture, but I wouldn't plug the router into the server. Let your router route, and let your server serve :D. Running Windows Server in a VM would do fine. dnsmasq is super fine if you don't mind text files, but if you want a GUI and already plan on doing Windows Server run DHCP and DNS on there. Its trivial and doesn't take up very many resources, and if shit goes haywire you can let your router do DHCP and DNS.

The access points are always a good idea.

I would also agree with upgrading to a PoE switch for your cameras and AP's, just to save some space. They aren't too expensive, and its nice having less wires :D

Really, its kind of silly to roll your own DNS. Its possible, but rather pointless. 

thebros35, out.

On 5/8/2017 at 6:00 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

Why not turn the UnRaid server into a router itself? https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/the-ars-guide-to-building-a-linux-router-from-scratch/

Though if it were me, I wouldn't have my file server be involved with handling network data.

I think i'll end up piecing another pc together then for a router and leave the unraid server for file duty :)

1 hour ago, Mouldybanana said:

I think i'll end up piecing another pc together then for a router and leave the unraid server for file duty :)

Probably a good idea. Personally, I'd put your modem into Bridge mode and pickup a router capable of running AdvancedTomato if you're not interested in running a power hungry pfSense box, not to mention managing it. I run a Netgear R7000 for this purpose, and it works great, handling 8 wired devices through a gigabit switch and around 10 wireless devices in a 1600 sqft 2 story house.

https://advancedtomato.com/downloads

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)