Best Place to get Sleeving for cables

Billy_Mays

Where can I get a good website that will ship to Canada and has all the tools to do sleeving?

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

3 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

Where can I get a good website that will ship to Canada and has all the tools to do sleeving?

If you are looking at doing it yourself, Icemodz and Mainframe customs are a good option. It will take quite a bit of time to get the sleeving right though with practice and everything nice and efficient to do the whole PSU. 

-Moved to Modding Section- 

I personally use Paracord for sleeving. I prefer it to the plastic type stuff you can get. Any 550 Paracord from an outdoor/camping type retailer will work. Some places specific for sleeving will sell paracord with the core removed, but you'll be paying more for a little less work. 

After that all you need is a pair of snips, an ATX pin removal tool (and any non-ATX pin removal tool you may need, such as SATA or Molex tools) and a lighter. You can use heatshrink as well to secure the sleeving, but I find doing it without heatshrink looks better, you just have to melt the end of the paracord to secure it to the pin. 

do not under estimate how long this takes, especially if you don't have the correct crimping tool like me! It took me around 14 hours to do a full set of cable extensions, meaning 24 pin, 2x 8pin PCIE, 8 PIN ATX. 

You need a crimping tool that can fold both wings of an ATX pin at once, and you need longer than standard ATX pins. Melt (slightly) the cord prior to crimping as it helps prevent it from fraying. Then I found the best way is to crimp the cable + sleeve in the 1st wings and the wire only in 2nd set of wings closest to the pin. 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

16 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

do not under estimate how long this takes, especially if you don't have the correct crimping tool like me! It took me around 14 hours to do a full set of cable extensions, meaning 24 pin, 2x 8pin PCIE, 8 PIN ATX. 

You need a crimping tool that can fold both wings of an ATX pin at once, and you need longer than standard ATX pins. Melt (slightly) the cord prior to crimping as it helps prevent it from fraying. Then I found the best way is to crimp the cable + sleeve in the 1st wings and the wire only in 2nd set of wings closest to the pin. 

I know I am going to have a lot of free time in the summer time because no school and me being lazy

22 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I personally use Paracord for sleeving. I prefer it to the plastic type stuff you can get. Any 550 Paracord from an outdoor/camping type retailer will work. Some places specific for sleeving will sell paracord with the core removed, but you'll be paying more for a little less work. 

After that all you need is a pair of snips, an ATX pin removal tool (and any non-ATX pin removal tool you may need, such as SATA or Molex tools) and a lighter. You can use heatshrink as well to secure the sleeving, but I find doing it without heatshrink looks better, you just have to melt the end of the paracord to secure it to the pin. 

Ok I know how long and SATA and MOLEX doesn't matter to me because it's going to be hidden 

24 minutes ago, W-L said:

If you are looking at doing it yourself, Icemodz and Mainframe customs are a good option. It will take quite a bit of time to get the sleeving right though with practice and everything nice and efficient to do the whole PSU. 

-Moved to Modding Section- 

Ok

28 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Just buy Cablemod

I want a DIY sense feeling and the satisfaction that I did it my self

you may want to look into getting into computer engineering so you can build your own circuit boards resistors transistors capacitor mosfets microchips etc for the PC. then some cpu silicon design so you can learn how to dope and make your own cpu and then learn how to make your own instructions then your own OS then your own programs for that OS then learn how lcds work mine all the metals for it build your as well then a diy mouse and a diy keyboard and you're set cause other wise it just doesn't have that diy feel

37 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

you may want to look into getting into computer engineering so you can build your own circuit boards resistors transistors capacitor mosfets microchips etc for the PC. then some cpu silicon design so you can learn how to dope and make your own cpu and then learn how to make your own instructions then your own OS then your own programs for that OS then learn how lcds work mine all the metals for it build your as well then a diy mouse and a diy keyboard and you're set cause other wise it just doesn't have that diy feel

You should probably start with a toaster and work your way up to that one. Cause that's going to take more than a summer. 

But in all seriousness there's nothing quite as satisfying as being able to look at a thing and say I made it. That's why people get so attached to Ikea furniture. Even if it's just  a computer with premade parts and a ugly case you got from a basement bargin. But it's nice to have it look nice and when you mod that is your reward, full ownership over something looking nice. 

1 hour ago, Billy_Mays said:

@Billy_Mays if it doesn't work out for you doing it on your own, you can always come check us out. :)
https://store.cablemod.com/

46 minutes ago, KazerTheKeen said:

You should probably start with a toaster and work your way up to that one. Cause that's going to take more than a summer. 

But in all seriousness there's nothing quite as satisfying as being able to look at a thing and say I made it. That's why people get so attached to Ikea furniture. Even if it's just  a computer with premade parts and a ugly case you got from a basement bargin. But it's nice to have it look nice and when you mod that is your reward, full ownership over something looking nice. 

My point is it isn't full ownership ikea did all the heavy lifting for you molding all the particle board into pieces that pop together with relative ease you didn't make the ikea furniture ikea did same with the pc

11 hours ago, CableMod said:

@Billy_Mays if it doesn't work out for you doing it on your own, you can always come check us out. :)
https://store.cablemod.com/

I'll check you guys out if it doesn't work

Both Paul and Kyle have videos on this subject. After watching them I cant justify the time spent on doing it myself, maybe if I got good at it. (Not to discourage you, thats just my personal feelings)

Let us know what you come up with :) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

14 hours ago, Billy_Mays said:

I recently sleeved a 6 pin PCIe extension cable using paracord, and it's not exactly difficult, just time consuming and laborious... The 6 wires took me ~ 2 hours total, but I guess it'll get quicker with practice (if I can be bothered...)

On a slight side note, for pin removal, I used a bent staple for ATX pins, a section on an extendable aerial that I pulled off an old RC car transmitter for female molex pins, and an 11g blunt needle (from ejuice mixing) for male molex pins... I bet that the proper tooling would make it quicker, but all of these I had lying around to try :)

Just my 2p

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Both Paul and Kyle have videos on this subject. After watching them I cant justify the time spent on doing it myself, maybe if I got good at it. (Not to discourage you, thats just my personal feelings)

Let us know what you come up with :) 

I know what I'm getting into with sleeving

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

HI BILLY_MAYS HERE WITH CUSTOM CABLE SLEEVING!!! TRIED OF YOUR OLD KETCHUP AND MUSTARD CABLES UGLIFYING YOUR PRETTY PEE CEE? GET YOURSELF ONE OF THESE PEE CEE SLEEVING KITS TO TURN YOUR RIG FROM FLAB TO FAB!

BUT WAIT THERES MORE

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I dont regret doing this and i'll do it every time i see your posts :^)

On 5/7/2017 at 8:12 PM, Billy_Mays said:

Mod-One is the best place to order from. Plus there one few who carry MDPC-X sleeving (Best Sleeving you can buy).

Dazmode (They are located in Canada). Carries everything you need for Sleeving & They carry DarkSide as their choice of sleeving.

If you want gold plated terminals your going have to order from Moddiy or Singularity computers. You usually get gold plated cables on your high end PSU.

Your make sure you know how to solder, since the ATX cable will require soldering of three cables together. You could try to get a double crimp wire into one connector hole (It's difficult & most of the time it doesn't look that great). You also can't use Closed Cable combs.

Here is a Mini-Guide I put together real quick (Since I kept getting messages How I do my own Sleeving):

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

8 hours ago, Revan654 said:

Mod-One is the best place to order from. Plus there one few who carry MDPC-X sleeving (Best Sleeving you can buy).

Dazmode (They are located in Canada). Carries everything you need for Sleeving & They carry DarkSide as their choice of sleeving.

If you want gold plated terminals your going have to order from Moddiy or Singularity computers. You usually get gold plated cables on your high end PSU.

Your make sure you know how to solder, since the ATX cable will require soldering of three cables together. You could try to get a double crimp wire into one connector hole (It's difficult & most of the time it doesn't look that great). You also can't use Closed Cable combs.

Here is a Mini-Guide I put together real quick (Since I kept getting messages How I do my own Sleeving):

Funny how you mention soldering I'm learning how to today 

7 hours ago, Billy_Mays said:

Funny how you mention soldering I'm learning how to today 

Make sure you using the right material (The Silver & Lead free for soldering material).

If you can't just get it Ice-Modz does sell pre-soldered wires for both ATX & GPU if needed for there 16 AWG wire.

It's also a good idea to do soldered type cables for Molex & Sata. Atlease that's how I do it & few companies do it too. Much easier then trying to sleeve & daisy chain the wiring.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

On 5/7/2017 at 5:17 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

That is really clever I like that

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro