Amd phenom x6 downclocking its self

Go to solution Solved by Coaxialgamer,

power saving features. 

It's operating as expected . You can just use high performance mode if you don't want that to happen .. or disable C6/AMD cool n quiet.

So I recently came home to see my cpu frequency @ 980mhz on msi command center. I freaked out because my frequency is normally at 3.8 mhz constant WITH oc genie enabled. My guess is that my computer restarted and let oc genie enable its self overclock.... BUT why is it underclocked below stock mhz??? Is it a form of "turbo boost" or some other amd technology? Itll boost back up to 3.43 mhz when under load but during idle it sits at 980 mhz. Weird.

1 minute ago, Jourdan Roedel said:

So I recently came home to see my cpu frequency @ 980mhz on msi command center. I freaked out because my frequency is normally at 3.8 mhz constant WITH oc genie enabled. My guess is that my computer restarted and let oc genie enable its self overclock.... BUT why is it underclocked below stock mhz??? Is it a form of "turbo boost" or some other amd technology? Itll boost back up to 3.43 mhz when under load but during idle it sits at 980 mhz. Weird.

Welcome to the Forums!

That's pretty normal under idle it will down clock to save power and only clock up under work load, run a stress test to see if it boost back up to the rated speeds. 

2 minutes ago, Jourdan Roedel said:

This is called idle frequency, this is a set frequency the cpu will go to when the system doesnt require much in the way of processing power, this is usually set as a way to save power as the phenom series was known for its heat output so this was a way to combat this. obviously when under load the cpu is needed more so the clock speed is increased accordingly 

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

power saving features. 

It's operating as expected . You can just use high performance mode if you don't want that to happen .. or disable C6/AMD cool n quiet.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

So I hate to re-open this thread after seemingly being solved... But the amd cool-n-quiet is disabled yet my multiplier goes from 14x to 4x.... Its now affecting performance of everything i do..

so i went into the bios and seen that the cpu multiplier was set to auto as well as the cpu smart control. I disabled the smart control and set the multiplier to 14x. Seems to have solved my downclocking issue.