Sennheiser HD Line-Up Advice

iMike
15 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

. Most motherbaords and electronic devices are like 20ohms maybe IIRC

that literally makes no sense. A device isn't able to drive only a certain up to impedance. A motherboard isn't 20ohm.

also, hd650 being 300ohm doesn't make them much harder to drive, main thing is the sensitivity. Also I can get mine loud from my phone.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

48 minutes ago, spwath said:

that literally makes no sense. A device isn't able to drive only a certain up to impedance. A motherboard isn't 20ohm.

also, hd650 being 300ohm doesn't make them much harder to drive, main thing is the sensitivity. Also I can get mine loud from my phone.

I keep "hearing" (badum tiss) different things about this, and I'm not sure what to believe anymore. All I know is that my mother board and phone couldnt bring it to a good volume, and I was using an HTC one m9 and a Gigabyte ga-z97x-ud5h. Bought an dac/amp with a 300ohm rating, fixed the problem.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I will say that the Sennheiser 558 isn't bad on the go. They provide some isolation (not much). HOWEVER, the included wire is a pain in the butt. It's really long and terminates in a 1/4 inch jack. You have to use the bundled adapter to plug it into most devices. 

Thankfully you can buy a regular, human-sized wire separately online. 

My suggestion: find a cheap headphone/earbud to use on the go. You'll realize that you won't need all the raw performance that a full set of headphones has because the ambient noise will kill some of the detail anyway. Actually, you'll want more bass and less treble because the headphones will likely play louder on the go. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-05-04 at 3:28 PM, TVwazhere said:

Yep! 

https://www.amazon.com/M6-32Bit-384KHz-asynchronous-Decoder/dp/B00WQXEBSG

This is the one I bought (thought I got it through a deal on massdrop for $140) The thing you want to look for is if it is rated for 300ohm headphones

These open-backed cans are relatively easy to drive. They bleed out sound like a sonofabitch. Stressed my wife out (so I picked up a PSB M4U). Good luck, eh.

So I'm going to be the one who has to say this, but wearing any headphones/earphones/in ears while cycling is a very stupid thing to do, and is dangerous not just to yourself but everyone around you.

By all means take all the good advice and get some nice headphones for home use, but please don't wear them whilst cycling near or on any roads.

On 2017-5-21 at 11:15 PM, anothertom said:

So I'm going to be the one who has to say this, but wearing any headphones/earphones/in ears while cycling is a very stupid thing to do, and is dangerous not just to yourself but everyone around you.

By all means take all the good advice and get some nice headphones for home use, but please don't wear them whilst cycling near or on any roads.

I must admit you have a point, but it dont agree 100% with you

As I have been using these HD 599s when cycling to school, and still was well aware of my surroundings, havent had any moments I didnt expect someone to come up behind me etc.