AMD Ryzen: Good For Enthusiasts, Bad For Investors

It's me!
2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Good find, Tomsen. Explains why Apple wasn't too interested in AMD, as well.  AMD's patents & graphics knowledge are very valuable to Apple, given the direction they're going towards being their own fabless Chipmaker (at least in the mobile space).  But, shorn of the x86-64 patent, AMD isn't so appealing, which probably explains why no one bought AMD during the great corporate Merger/Buying spree of the early 2010s.  Compared to the deals that were happening, AMD was chump change.

I also realize that Silicon Valley never does the strategic partnership approach by buying up say 25-33% of a company and taking a board seat.  Apple's iCloud is pretty massive on its own, so there was significant room to direct AMD's server chip direction.

Nah, apple was never interested to begin with. It would take to long for apple to internalize AMD. They instead just went out hiring the competitions employees, and start their own team.

AMD is in a strong position for an acquisition. Because Intel wont legally be allowed to ship/sell any of their products! I think you will agree that Intel wouldn't like that one bit, and would immediately establish a new cross-license agreement. However Intel will end up as the under-dog for such negotiations.Perhaps a government intervention would be to Intel favor if such thing happens.

You don't get to dictate with only 25-30%, thats why.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

6 hours ago, Tomsen said:

No, there is a clause in the agreement for exactly that kind of situations.

5.2 (c)

5.2(d)

(ii) is the important part

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/2488/000119312509236705/dex102.htm

So what happens when the courts intercede?  I know this is merely projection and guess work, but so far every case of antitrust and contract breech between intel and AMD has gone AMD's way.  Wouldn't the courts simply disallow the termination of the agreement based on the probability that it will cause a x86 monopoly?  All other facets notwithstanding? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

25 minutes ago, mr moose said:

So what happens when the courts intercede?  I know this is merely projection and guess work, but so far every case of antitrust and contract breech between intel and AMD has gone AMD's way.  Wouldn't the courts simply disallow the termination of the agreement based on the probability that it will cause a x86 monopoly?  All other facets notwithstanding? 

If court intercede? It would obviously then follow the courts decision.

There would be no x86 market if the agreement terminations. Both Intel and AMD will not be able to sell any of their products, because it will infringe of each others IP.

The government don't really have interest in enforcing competition in x86. They can't enforce competition in a market evolved around a single company IP.

EDIT: I'm not saying that government wont intercede if the company buying AMD is holding intel hostage with negatiations. They most certainly will if an agreement isn't found within acceptable time.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎04 at 7:55 AM, Spork829 said:

Shouldn't AMD have seen this coming? If you can OC a 1700 to basically the same performance as an 1800X, you would think they would have planned for people to recommend not going above the 1700, same with 1500X and 1600X vs their non-X models. Should have added some more features to the X models or just cut them out entirely if they didn't want this to happen...

I suspect in the future the chips will be binned more aggressively so that buying the lower end models will really result in a much worse overclocker.  Right now they're almost on par, but that has a lot to do with them taking 1800X class chips and using them to fill out the lower SKUs to meet demand.  It's also possible that XFR will be much more impressive with future revisions of Zen, allowing for more aggressive "out of the box" overclocking which would make the X SKU's far more interesting even to people who like to manually overclock. (Since there's a lot of cool power saving features on Zen that don't work when you OC all cores.)

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

What if.... Google bought AMD and embarrasses both Nvidia and Intel? I'd buy a Google GPU or CPU.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

On 5/4/2017 at 6:50 AM, It's me! said:

There's no doubt that AMD has margin problems, a big portion of the investment community dumped their stock due to the reduced margins. It's apparent that part of the problem stems from the unlocked multi's, though. AMD is slashing prices on high end models because everyone is jumping on the cheap models.

AMD seriously fucked up making the 1700 the exact same  as the 1800X.   It's like they got drunk and thought they would be stealing Intel customers who don't overclock, when really all along they were only going to capture the budget-enthusiast.

Ryzen is similarly fucked by X299.  The launch getting moved up to end of June pretty much freezes out a lot of people from buying Ryzen "just to see" what SkylakeX is about.  

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

AMD seriously fucked up making the 1700 the exact same  as the 1800X.   It's like they got drunk and thought they would be stealing Intel customers who don't overclock, when really all along they were only going to capture the budget-enthusiast.

You my Friend seem to forget just how insecure people are around here. NOt to mention how small their ePenis is.. They do not want their sig to say 1700.. not when it can say 1800X. The PC industry is even worse than cars with people paying fortunes just to brag about it. 

These are the same guys running X99+Sli on Titans and such, Some of them truly care, the others just want to be the biggest baddest nerd in all the land. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 hour ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

What if.... Google bought AMD and embarrasses both Nvidia and Intel? I'd buy a Google GPU or CPU.

Great idea, data mining at the hardware level :-|

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

Great idea, data mining at the hardware level :-|

Well we know google has deeper pockets then both and can use other divisions to keep their hardware afloat....Android desktops in the future replace windows!

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.