sli worth it

apaar123
Go to solution Solved by AntonChigurh,
19 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

ob·jec·tive

adjective
adjective: objective
  1. 1.
    (of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts

sub·jec·tive
adjective
adjective: subjective
  1. 1.
    based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.

Learn the difference.

Peace.

@Frankenburger It seems subjectivity is playing a huge part in your argument. Reading this thread it seems as though you are trying to downplay the prohibitive cost of your multi-GPU setup by saying that it was worth it. Your argument seems (keyword: seems, excuse me if it isn't) like it is influenced by what you own, and you're not arguing from an objective standpoint.

edit: This thread has gotten derailed, so why don't we just try to help OP?

@apaar123 In my opinion it would be better for you to go for a powerful single-GPU setup, and maybe SLI later on when your card gets long in the tooth. You could SLI right now, but I wouldn't recommend it, seeing as support isn't the best, and SLI is very expensive with high end cards.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Well, if you have that kind of money go for it. 

but if i am not wrong i need only that kind if refresh rate in fps games right?

Two schools of thought, fps and resolution. If you want the highest resolution, you have to give up fps, if you want the highest fps, you have to give up resolution. Why 1440 at 144+Hz is the sweet spot in the middle, best of both worlds. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, App4that said:

Two schools of thought, fps and resolution. If you want the highest resolution, you have to give up fps, if you want the highest fps, you have to give up resolution. Why 1440 at 144+Hz is the sweet spot in the middle, best of both worlds. 

but 4k 144 hz is now possible isnt it?

1 minute ago, apaar123 said:

but 4k 144 hz is now possible isnt it?

Depends on the game, but for AAA titles not yet. 

Just now, App4that said:

Depends on the game, but for AAA titles not yet. 

yeah thats for sure but AAA games can reach 60hz atleast and games like cs go and overwatch which actually need 144hz can 

3 hours ago, App4that said:

Unless you're trying to feed a 144hz 4k monitor, then good luck finding a CPU that can keep up LOL. 

You've said this in another thread before. 1080ti in SLI shouldn't be bottlenecked by any decent CPU at 1440 144hz (depending on the game). Please stop spreading the misinformation that you need 4k to utilize 1080ti SLI without CPU bottlenecking, since that's just not true. 

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

6 minutes ago, reniat said:

You've said this in another thread before. 1080ti in SLI isn't bottlenecked by the CPU at 1440 144hz (depending on the game). Please stop spreading the misinformation that you need 4k to utilize 1080ti SLI without CPU bottlenecking, since that's just not true. 

He's not entirely wrong though.

I have a 1080Ti SLI system, and trust me, there are more games that scale better at 4k than 1440p.

That's not to say DSR, MSAA, or SSAA couldn't be used to increase the render resolution to get more value out of the two cards, but I think anyone who sticks with stock in game settings at 1440p is in for a big surprise with a 1080Ti SLI system.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

2 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

He's not entirely wrong though.

I have a 1080Ti SLI system, and trust me, there are more games that scale better at 4k than 1440p.

That's not to say DSR, MSAA, or SSAA couldn't be used to increase the render resolution to get more value out of the two cards, but I think anyone who sticks with stock in game settings is in for a big surprise with a 1080Ti SLI system.

I'd have to agree with the last part. If you're buying any sort of high end GPU/SLI setup and you're running stock settings, you're a fool, and are most likely new to PCs.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

I'd go sli. Single cards are still too weak. Every game i play supports sli so I'm not worried about it. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Can anyone give me a list of games which does not support sli or atleast some of them and can they run fine by tweaking some settings?

Only games I have found have issues if you're using SLI is War Thunder, and No Man's Sky. In both those games just one of my 980ti can get over 100fps at 1440. 

9 minutes ago, App4that said:

Only games I have found have issues if you're using SLI is War Thunder, and No Man's Sky. In both those games just one of my 980ti can get over 100fps at 1440. 

And what's the framerate with sli?

Just now, apaar123 said:

And what's the framerate with sli?

Depends on the game and driver. I get anywhere from 20% to over 50% scaling. Quick example though.

SLI1.jpg

notSLI1.jpg

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

Depends on the game and driver. I get anywhere from 20% to over 50% scaling. Quick example though.

SLI1.jpg

notSLI1.jpg

From what I have read and saw gtx 1080ti sli isn't much of a improvement. I will probably buy single top high end GPU and then upgrade in 2-3 years to next one. Maybe one day we are able to reach 4k 100hz without sli

3 minutes ago, apaar123 said:

From what I have read and saw gtx 1080ti sli isn't much of a improvement. I will probably buy single top high end GPU and then upgrade in 2-3 years to next one. Maybe one day we are able to reach 4k 100hz without sli

That's BY FAR the best way to do it. I paid almost 700 bucks for my first 980ti Hybrid, and 300 for the second after the 1080 launched. 

11 hours ago, apaar123 said:

Can anyone give me a list of games which does not support sli or atleast some of them and can they run fine by tweaking some settings?

Games that don't support SLI at all that I play is Subnautica, Skyforge, Arkham Knight, Ark, Playerunknown's Battlegrounds, and Yooka-Laylee. Most Unreal Engine 4 games currently do not support SLI, but Gears of War 4 just updated with SLI support, so there should be more UE4 titles that support it in the future. I do know that Just Cause 3 also doesn't support SLI.

The only game that I can currently think of that requires tweaking to support SLI is Tera Online. I'm sure there's more out there, but I haven't come across them since I really haven't been expanding my game library during the last couple years. Most of my time is going to League of Legends and PUBG. But with Tera, all you need to do is disable SSAO, switch the SLI bits to Max Payne 3, then you're good to go. If you want SSAO in Tera with SLI, just enable it through drivers.

11 hours ago, apaar123 said:

That reeeeeeeeeeally depends on how you intend to play your games. 1080Ti SLI performs phenomenally well beyond 4k, which works for me because I prefer to use SSAA or DSR whenever possible to kill jaggies. But the lower you go from 4k, the less benefit there is to SLI-ing 2 1080Ti's.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

Games that don't support SLI at all that I play is Subnautica, Skyforge, Arkham Knight, Ark, Playerunknown's Battlegrounds, and Yooka-Laylee. Most Unreal Engine 4 games currently do not support SLI, but Gears of War 4 just updated with SLI support, so there should be more UE4 titles that support it in the future. I do know that Just Cause 3 also doesn't support SLI.

The only game that I can currently think of that requires tweaking to support SLI is Tera Online. I'm sure there's more out there, but I haven't come across them since I really haven't been expanding my game library during the last couple years. Most of my time is going to League of Legends and PUBG. But with Tera, all you need to do is disable SSAO, switch the SLI bits to Max Payne 3, then you're good to go. If you want SSAO in Tera with SLI, just enable it through drivers.

That reeeeeeeeeeally depends on how you intend to play your games. 1080Ti SLI performs phenomenally well beyond 4k, which works for me because I prefer to use SSAA or DSR whenever possible to kill jaggies. But the lower you go from 4k, the less benefit there is to SLI-ing 2 1080Ti's.

So the games you play how are their framerates?

15 minutes ago, apaar123 said:

So the games you play how are their framerates?

That's kind of a difficult question to answer, because I use non conventional settings for most of my games. I frequently use Reshade and/or SSAA with DSR. For example, I'm playing Tera Online at 5120x2880 with 4xSGSSAA and ReShade, and I'm playing GTA V at 5120x2880 with 4xMSAA. Regardless, I target 60 FPS minimum in all of my games, so I'd say the frame rates are pretty good.

Attached are the benchmark results of GTAV at 5k with 4xMSAA comparing SLI on and SLI off. There is an 87% gain with SLI on in these results.

SLI Off.txt

SLI On.txt

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

That's kind of a difficult question to answer, because I use non conventional settings for most of my games. I frequently use Reshade and/or SSAA with DSR. For example, I'm playing Tera Online at 5120x2880 with 4xSGSSAA and ReShade, and I'm playing GTA V at 5120x2880 with 4xMSAA. Regardless, I target 60 FPS minimum in all of my games, so I'd say the frame rates are pretty good.

Attached are the benchmark results of GTAV at 5k with 4xMSAA comparing SLI on and SLI off. There is an 87% gain with SLI on in these results.

SLI Off.txt

SLI On.txt

So every game hits above 60fps right?

5 minutes ago, apaar123 said:

So every game hits above 60fps right?

In GPU bound situations, yes.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

For me, any benefit you would get by saving money would be negated by the lack of support and stability of SLI.

Sure, on paper, 2 low-end cards in SLI might be cheaper AND perform better than 1 high-end card.

In practice however, if it is not properly supported by the game, (which often it isnt) you will end up with worse performance for your money than a single card.

Also, microstuttering has often been a problem with SLI setups. This means that even though you get 60 fps average, the first 50 frames might be delivered in 0.5 seconds, while the last 10 frames are delivered in the other 0.5 seconds. This causes choppy gameplay and stuttering, even thought the average FPS number looks good.  This has to do with the SLI cards not working together properly, or having to share memory bandwidth and such.

Also, you only get the amount of VRAM of 1 card, not both. So if you run 2 4GB cards in SLI, you only get 4GB, versus 1 high end card would have 8GB or more VRAM.

Personally I wouldnt do it.

The only reason I would get SLI, is if I already had a Titan Xp or 1080Ti, and I wanted more power. Then you can just add a second card in SLI.

I've seen stutter on a single powerful card. Atleast with the crappy 10 series. I'll stick to my old cards which run flawless and continue to out perform my new cards. I'm sure they won't last forever but until then I'll save my cash on more new cards. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

7 minutes ago, maartendc said:

For me, any benefit you would get by saving money would be negated by the lack of support and stability of SLI.

As a long time multi GPU owner, I wholeheartedly disagree. IMHO, the only time SLI wouldn't be worth it is if the user doesn't configure their games appropriately to take advantage of the setup.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

As a long time multi GPU owner, I wholeheartedly disagree. IMHO, the only time SLI wouldn't be worth it is if the user doesn't configure their games appropriately to take advantage of the setup.

Configuration? Like what?

1 minute ago, apaar123 said:

Configuration? Like what?

Use conductive resolutions (no 1080p with SLI 1080Ti), change multi GPU compatibility and rendering modes when necessary, etc.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler