sli worth it

apaar123
Go to solution Solved by AntonChigurh,
19 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

ob·jec·tive

adjective
adjective: objective
  1. 1.
    (of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts

sub·jec·tive
adjective
adjective: subjective
  1. 1.
    based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.

Learn the difference.

Peace.

@Frankenburger It seems subjectivity is playing a huge part in your argument. Reading this thread it seems as though you are trying to downplay the prohibitive cost of your multi-GPU setup by saying that it was worth it. Your argument seems (keyword: seems, excuse me if it isn't) like it is influenced by what you own, and you're not arguing from an objective standpoint.

edit: This thread has gotten derailed, so why don't we just try to help OP?

@apaar123 In my opinion it would be better for you to go for a powerful single-GPU setup, and maybe SLI later on when your card gets long in the tooth. You could SLI right now, but I wouldn't recommend it, seeing as support isn't the best, and SLI is very expensive with high end cards.

I wanted to ask that is sli really worth it. How much performance it will improve and games which do not support sli do they utilise one gpu to its full potential? Also how do i provide cooling to them if i aint doing custom looping?

Depends on the cards. In general, it's best to go for the most powerful single card you can, but in some rare cases it's better value to go for 2 lower end cards, or to add another card instead of upgrading to a new one. 

SLI support is patchy still, it always has been. You're more likely to run into bugs, issues and bad performance with SLI than a single card. Some times SLI can end up being worse than a single card in games if the driver or game support is bad and causing bad performance. 

As for cooling, good airflow and open design cards can work, but they can end up overheating other components if the case's airflow isn't good enough (I have a friend with this issue, his SLI 780s cause his FX8350 to overheat as they pump out so much heat into the case under heavy load and the airflow isn't great in his case). Going for blower style cards can be a better option, particularly for restrictive or small cases as it prevents so much hot air being put out into the case. 

how does sli effects the performance of games not supported by it

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Depends on the cards. In general, it's best to go for the most powerful single card you can, but in some rare cases it's better value to go for 2 lower end cards, or to add another card instead of upgrading to a new one. 

SLI support is patchy still, it always has been. You're more likely to run into bugs, issues and bad performance with SLI than a single card. Some times SLI can end up being worse than a single card in games if the driver or game support is bad and causing bad performance. 

As for cooling, good airflow and open design cards can work, but they can end up overheating other components if the case's airflow isn't good enough (I have a friend with this issue, his SLI 780s cause his FX8350 to overheat as they pump out so much heat into the case under heavy load and the airflow isn't great in his case). Going for blower style cards can be a better option, particularly for restrictive or small cases as it prevents so much hot air being put out into the case. 

5 minutes ago, apaar123 said:

I wanted to ask that is sli really worth it. How much performance it will improve and games which do not support sli do they utilise one gpu to its full potential? Also how do i provide cooling to them if i aint doing custom looping?

Probably looking at best case 30-50% increase on the good games, Very very rarely you can see a game with like 100% scaling but these games are like unicorns.  The bad ones will actually give you negative scaling and reduce your performance, others will just do nothing and not use the second gpu or cause stuttering.

For cooling generally the top gpu will be hotter then the other(s) and the only thing you can do is increase airflow to the gpus.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Just now, apaar123 said:

thats a yes and no.... technically it shouldnt and it doesnt in most cases. if sli isnt supported it just glosses over the second card and does nothing, but every now and then you run over a certain game that just out right hates sli... like No Mans Sky... that game fucking hates sli and if its enabled you will get 6fps max no matter what gpu you have... 

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Just now, apaar123 said:

It doesn't. The game should just use one GPU as if the other wasn't there. 

If the game does support SLI but the implementation is particularly bad to the point where performance is worse than a single card, SLI can be disabled though Nvidia Control Panel (or AMD's equivalent, I can't remember what it's called). 

1 minute ago, apaar123 said:

Often times there is simply no boost in FPS, and in rarer cases it can hurt FPS.

In a situation like that, it's best to load Nvidia Inspector and change the game's SLI compatibility bits to see if you can get SLI to work.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

I run SLI and I don't have the problem other people seem to run into. It's rare I find a game that doesn't scale well, and 2 games ever have given me any issues. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The other issue with SLI (and any multi-GPU setup) is you can potentially experience micro-stuttering. The game may report say 150 FPS, but the time frames are up can be so small it can feel more like 60 or 50 FPS. Though Fast Sync may help (if NVIDIA made it possible to use it with SLI)

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The other issue with SLI (and any multi-GPU setup) is you can potentially experience micro-stuttering. The game may report say 150 FPS, but the time frames are up can be so small it can feel more like 60 or 50 FPS. Though Fast Sync may help (if NVIDIA made it possible to use it with SLI)

I have never had that issue, in any game. Though I run GSYNC. 

1 minute ago, Ryoku said:

Probably looking at best case 30-50% increase on the good games

Incorrect. It's not uncommon for SLI to scale up to 80% in most supported games.

Out of 12 games, SLI managed to scale up to 71% on average in this review here.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_SLI/20.html

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

I run (old) crossfire cards and in most games, I see 0 improvement. Assetto Corsa can't even take advantage of them, and GTA V stutters like crazy. Only game that works for me is Call of Duty (bo2). 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

so does this nvidia inspector really helps in those games?

Why are so many people crazy for sli out there. I also saw onw guy using 8 titan xp in his pc. I dont know if it was real but i saw him in setup wars

Not something I use, as I don't have any issues which would require it. In the 2 games that don't like SLI, No Man's Sky and War Thunder. I just turn off SLI in the settings. 

I consider Inspector an essential tool for SLI users. It can help with enabling SLI in a good number of games.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

Just now, App4that said:

Not something I use, as I don't have any issues which would require it. In the 2 games that don't like SLI, No Man's Sky and War Thunder. I just turn off SLI in the settings. 

then it works well?

Just now, Frankenburger said:

I consider Inspector an essential tool for SLI users. It can help with enabling SLI in a good number of games.

so that means sli can help me in maximum games and games which do not support sli i can somehow tweak some settings and they will be fine? Are there any games that no matter what you do will run like s*** in sli?

then it works well?

Freaking awesome. My 2 980ti give me 1440 fps numbers the same or better than a 1080ti. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Freaking awesome. My 2 980ti give me 1440 fps numbers the same or better than a 1080ti. 

what if i use 2 1080ti

Just now, apaar123 said:

what if i use 2 1080ti

Sillyness. Unless you're trying to feed a 144hz 4k monitor, then good luck finding a CPU that can keep up LOL. 

1070 is the sweet spot right now for SLI at 1440, 2 1080 will be useful for 4k. I don't see a need for 2 1080ti yet, you'll just be disapointed in the results as they'll be held back way too often. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Sillyness. Unless you're trying to feed a 144hz 4k monitor, then good luck finding a CPU that can keep up LOL. 

1070 is the sweet spot right now for SLI at 1440, 2 1080 will be useful for 4k. I don't see a need for 2 1080ti yet, you'll just be disapointed in the results as they'll be held back way too often. 

well i will be using 4k 144hz monitor probably

3 minutes ago, apaar123 said:

so that means sli can help me in maximum games and games which do not support sli i can somehow tweak some settings and they will be fine? Are there any games that no matter what you do will run like s*** in sli?

There will always be a few games out there that simply won't work with SLI no matter what you do. But yes, using Inspector can help you maximize the value of your investment.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler