AMD stock price falls >20% in single day on lackluster Q1 earnings.

AnonymousGuy
1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

It wasn't just a single statement. Throughout that entire stream they were talking about how Ryzen has a heavy focus on gaming and at one point she smirked when someone asked about a 7700k vs. Ryzen cpu. 

And besides, it was described as "the dream gaming pc of 2017" (not A DREAM, THE DREAM), all that does is drive up hype to ridiculous levels that Ryzen clearly hasn't met, and that's where the problem lies. And if the CEO promoting a new platform in the announcement stream isn't advertising, then I don't know what is. 

She did the same thing talking about fury x... "over clockers dream"...

Deceptive. 

11 minutes ago, Grinners said:

She did the same thing talking about fury x... "over clockers dream"...

Deceptive. 

I'm almost positive "overclockers dream" was said by someone who was involved with the AIO cooler and had no knowledge of the GPU core.

EDIT: It was said by Joe Macri, CTO, not Lisa Su. He was talking about the cooling and power delivery system, and at the time the Fury X was likely not clocked as high as it was forced to be by Nvidia. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 hours ago, Spenser1337 said:

100% agreed but I'm not selling my shares yet

More power to you!

From what I see, it's evened out a little today after bouncing down into the 9s ... Kind of tempted to grab a chunk big enough to make a real difference in, say, 3 years time but small enough to just leave it alone and not go insane about every price swing. Don't know if I could handle 100, but I could probably deal with 50 ... 

OTOH, if I've learned something from this, it's that I'm more of an index investor. The constant drama of owning AMD stock really took a toll on my psyche! Watching all those months just melt away yesterday was torture. I think I'll be a happier gamer if I just buy their wares and cheer you guys on from the sidelines.

Spoiler

PSU: Cooler Master V1200 Platinum / MB: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming / CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x / RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming OC 24GB / OS: Windows 11 / Screen: Samsung CRG9 (5120 x 1440) / Case: DIY Bench built custom into a a cabinet / Case Fans: 4x BeQuiet Magicool 140mm Pure Wings / Rad: Magicool 180 Triple / Pump: Aquastream XT / Res: Aquacomputer aqualis PRO 450ml / CPU Block: EK Supremacy Clear Acetal / GPU Blocks: Bykski N-GV1080TIG1-X with VRAM Cooling via B-3090TC-X Water Block

Just now, mikegray said:

More power to you!

From what I see, it's evened out a little today after bouncing down into the 9s ... Kind of tempted to grab a chunk big enough to make a real difference in, say, 3 years time but small enough to just leave it alone and not go insane about every price swing. Don't know if I could handle 100, but I could probably deal with 50 ... 

OTOH, if I've learned something from this, it's that I'm more of an index investor. The constant drama of owning AMD stock really took a toll on my psyche! Watching all those months just melt away yesterday was torture. I think I'll be a happier gamer if I just buy their wares and cheer you guys on from the sidelines.

Once you've won and lost a bunch of money, you can separate your financials and your mood. It's weird but that's just how it goes, you stop caring in a sense 

35 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

Once you've won and lost a bunch of money, you can separate your financials and your mood. It's weird but that's just how it goes, you stop caring in a sense 

I agree with this.  I pre set all my entry and exit points in advance so I don't have to make an emotional decision.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

5 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Loyalist will always tell you why you should get an R5 1400 + 580 gaming rig that's great for 1080p and even some 1440p but they never tell you why you shouldn't get a similarly priced i5 7500 + 1060 rig that will outperform AMD on most games unless you follow very specific instructions for AMD

So you're saying that the reviews who've invested hours into testing this theory that say that the r5 line up is better value compared to the i5 line up are loyalists ? As a gamer you're saying you would take a higher avg frames over consistent frame times ? That's not making any sense.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

So you're saying that the reviews who've invested hours into testing this theory that say that the r5 line up is better value compared to the i5 line up are loyalists ? As a gamer you're saying you would take a higher avg frames over consistent frame times ? That's not making any sense.

No I am saying that for the case I was making, a GAMER on a mid range budget, the benchmarks I posted or that you can find speak for themselves. The minimums are important but not that important if both CPUs can keep them above your refresh rate minimum which for most monitors are 50 or 60 fps.

-------

Current Rig

-------

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:00 PM, Energycore said:

Well after their stock raised 300% some rubberbanding is to be expected, but let's wait and see how they do in Q2 whether it's Vega or Ryzen 3

it's most likely going to be vega. here's why:

On 5/3/2017 at 3:01 AM, linustouchtips said:

its a good time to buy some cheap stock 

Ha! Nice try Lisa.

Spoiler

b6fb6bcc8e3a70491b27e70452dd9ec7.jpg

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

WOOO! I sold out just before the q1 earnings announcement. Not as much money as I initially intended to get out of the whole stock market experiment, but still enough to put me through 5 years of school with 0 working hours

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

they missed there earning target by UNDER 400 THOUSAND DOLLARS  , this is far from lackluster 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

12 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

they missed there earning target by UNDER 400 THOUSAND DOLLARS  , this is far from lackluster 

Yeah out of almost a billion dollars. Fanboys are dumb enough, knowing hardly anything about hardware and how it works. But when you add in microeconomics and shares. OMFG. It's the perfect storm of stupid.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Notional said:

Yeah out of almost a billion dollars. Fanboys are dumb enough, knowing hardly anything about hardware and how it works. But when you add in microeconomics and shares. OMFG. It's the perfect storm of stupid.

ive seen people on Reddit being like "why isnt AMD dropping prices on the hardware now that the stock has dropped" 

A: THIS IS NOT HOW IT WORKS
B: THAT WOULD MAKE THE STOCK GO DOWN EVEN MORE 

ಠ_ಠ

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

ive seen people on Reddit being like "why isnt AMD dropping prices on the hardware now that the stock has dropped" 

A: THIS IS NOT HOW IT WORKS
B: THAT WOULD MAKE THE STOCK GO DOWN EVEN MORE 

ಠ_ಠ

Løl yeah. People don't even understand shorting shares, or how shares robots manipulate shares, to make a ton of money on stupid people panicking. Shares should be back to normal in a month, or probably higher.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

20 hours ago, Spenser1337 said:

Huh. Well, I have something to look forward to - though I hope that there'll be a little more winning than losing! Although the money I'm investing in individual stocks is all money I can afford to lose, there are definitely things I'd rather spend it on than losing propositions on the stock market.

Anyhooo ... thanks to some profit taking at 14.5, I actually cam out slightly ahead, so no point in yammering.

(Heck. I mean ... why not just buy 75 shares if it dips back into the 9s again?)

Spoiler

PSU: Cooler Master V1200 Platinum / MB: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming / CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x / RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming OC 24GB / OS: Windows 11 / Screen: Samsung CRG9 (5120 x 1440) / Case: DIY Bench built custom into a a cabinet / Case Fans: 4x BeQuiet Magicool 140mm Pure Wings / Rad: Magicool 180 Triple / Pump: Aquastream XT / Res: Aquacomputer aqualis PRO 450ml / CPU Block: EK Supremacy Clear Acetal / GPU Blocks: Bykski N-GV1080TIG1-X with VRAM Cooling via B-3090TC-X Water Block

4 minutes ago, mikegray said:

Anyhooo ... thanks to some profit taking at 14.5, I actually cam out slightly ahead, so no point in yammering.

(Heck. I mean ... why not just buy 75 shares if it dips back into the 9s again?)

You know it ;)

I lost more money this week taking my cat to the vet than I did from AMD; entry points are important. 

The worst was the NVIDIA bubble pop when it climaxed at $120; never trust Goldman Sucks. ;P

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

3 hours ago, Valentyn said:

I lost more money this week taking my cat to the vet than I did from AMD.

Thats what farmers fields, guns and new cats are for.  Can often even pickup a new cat at the farmers barn for free too boot.

I've not looked, but I wouldn't be surprised if a good amount of the selling were triggers being hit, picking up more downward momentum and tripping more sales.  Precisely the conditions HFT look for to strike up volatility to rake in more money.  That said the price does look like it went too far too fast and is looking for it actual current fair value.

Personally I'd want to see a lot of information and tests on new APUs before I'd buy stock.  Just cause I think thats where AMD could really make marketshare inroads.

The video posted earlier...I thought that was pretty horrendous to be honest. 

7 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Thats what farmers fields, guns and new cats are for.  Can often even pickup a new cat at the farmers barn for free too boot.

I've not looked, but I wouldn't be surprised if a good amount of the selling were triggers being hit, picking up more downward momentum and tripping more sales.  Precisely the conditions HFT look for to strike up volatility to rake in more money.  That said the price does look like it went too far too fast and is looking for it actual current fair value.

Personally I'd want to see a lot of information and tests on new APUs before I'd buy stock.  Just cause I think thats where AMD could really make marketshare inroads.

The video posted earlier...I thought that was pretty horrendous to be honest. 

No way man, this cat is 15, love'em! They're not ready for the fields yet.

There was a ton of Stop Losses being triggered; and I wouldn't surprised if Goldman and others pick up millions of shares again.

Lots of folks on reddit never having a clue panicking and going mental. Clear they tried to "play", but bought in around $13-14.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q