Watching Movies On My New 34" Ultrawide?

007vsMagua

I've had my LG UltraWide up and running for a week now and everything seems good when watching online content and playing games. When I pop one of my 2.35:1 DVD's into my PC DVD player I'm getting black bars on top and on the sides. Every review I've seen about UltraWides is that the movie viewing experience is great. I've yet to experience that.

4 minutes ago, 007vsMagua said:

I've had my LG UltraWide up and running for a week now and everything seems good when watching online content and playing games. When I pop one of my 1.35:1 DVD's into my PC DVD player I'm getting black bars on top and on the sides. Every review I've seen about UltraWides is that the movie viewing experience is great. I've yet to experience that.

check the settings in your player software 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

4 minutes ago, 007vsMagua said:

I've had my LG UltraWide up and running for a week now and everything seems good when watching online content and playing games. When I pop one of my 1.35:1 DVD's into my PC DVD player I'm getting black bars on top and on the sides. Every review I've seen about UltraWides is that the movie viewing experience is great. I've yet to experience that.

Did you set the proper scaling mode on the video player?

Also you're still going to have black bars.

Just now, stealth80 said:

check the settings in your player software 

I first tried Window's Media Center and then I tried Window's Media Player. I haven't tried any third party software.

You'll need to play 21:9 (?) content which is what I believe that monitors aspect ratio is, for you not to have black bars.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

3 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

You'll need to play 21:9 (?) content which is what I believe that monitors aspect ratio is, for you not to have black bars.

I think I made a mistake and it should be 2.35:1 and not 1.35:1. I'll go back and edit the opening post. Thanks

Maybe try VLC? its a great media playback software and has a lot of other good features

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Maybe try VLC? its a great media playback software and has a lot of other good features

Thanks. I've tried VLC in the past and it's pretty good. The LG burner I'm using is actually Blu-ray compatible. I'm going to install VLC and play with that.

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

VLC has problems with Bluray due to encryption issues.

Yeah, the old encryption issue problem. The fingers that pull the strings are bound to get tired one day.

21 minutes ago, 007vsMagua said:

I think I made a mistake and it should be 2.35:1 and not 1.35:1. I'll go back and edit the opening post. Thanks

2.35:1 is not an ultra-wide aspect ratio (at least that I am aware of, what is the model of your monitor)... 21:9 is. So for you to not have black bars the media must be in a 21:9 aspect ration for it to fully fit the screen.

4 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

2.35:1 is not an ultra-wide aspect ratio (at least that I am aware of, what is the model of your monitor)... 21:9 is. So for you to not have black bars the media must be in a 21:9 aspect ration for it to fully fit the screen.

I purchased the LG 34CB88-P two weeks ago. That monitor is related to the LG 34UC88 and the LG 34UC98. If you divide 21 by 9 it comes out to 2.333...

21 minutes ago, 007vsMagua said:

I purchased the LG 34CB88-P two weeks ago. That monitor is related to the LG 34UC88 and the LG 34UC98. If you divide 21 by 9 it comes out to 2.333...

Okay still a little confused as to why you are not just calling it 21:9 lol.

31 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Okay still a little confused as to why you are not just calling it 21:9 lol.

I though calling it an UltraWide would fit the bill.