XFX R9 290 black screen flash and driver Stopped

Bech
Hello

I recently bought a XFX R9 290 graphics card.

Today I have experienced 3 times that the screen flashes black for a few seconds, as if it loses signal.

And during a game Call of Duty Ghostes I got an error that the driver has stopped working. and the game crashed

Some who have experienced this with R9 290, or heard about it on the web?

The question is whether I should return the card or wait and hope for driver updates to fix it.

Are your drivers the latest?

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Hello

I recently bought a XFX R9 290 graphics card.

Today I have experienced 3 times that the screen flashes black for a few seconds, as if it loses signal.

And during a game Call of Duty Ghostes I got an error that the driver has stopped working. and the game crashed

Some who have experienced this with R9 290, or heard about it on the web?

The question is whether I should return the card or wait and hope for driver updates to fix it.

1. Check Cables...

2. Is it overclocked?

3. What PSU are you using?

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

Have you tried to OC it, or do you have the lavest driver?

CPU: FX-8350, GPU: xfx radeon r9 290, RAM: corsair venegance 8gb, STORAGE; seagate barracuda 1TB hdd, SSDnow kingston 120gb, CPU COOLER: CM hyper 212 , CASE: fractal design XL, PSU: corsair CS 650w 80+ gold MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

#2: Unfortunately I have not had the time to test it in other games. But the black flashes occur in windows

#3 Yes it it., but it's a beta driver.

#3 Yes it it., but it's a beta driver.

Might be why

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

#4: Cabels are OK, no OC, it's a Silverstone 850w

#5: no i have not, that should not be necessary to have an working card.

You should be OK with the 13.11 drivers..

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

As far as I can see 11.13 only exist in beta and R9 290 is  only supported in 13.11.

So it is not possible to run a driving with that is not beta

As far as I can see 11.13 only exist in beta and R9 290 is  only supported in 13.11.

So it is not possible to run a driving with that is not beta

Last question what type of cable are you using?

i'd say return it and get a new one. This unit probably doesn't like being at 95 degrees. To be sure, you could try running it at higher fan rpm in windows to get idle temps down, and check if the error still occurs. Also in games, ram up the fan rpm and lower the temperature cealing, see if you still get crashes. Either way swallow your pride for a few days and swap it for a new one. My 2 cents :)

I might have been a little too quick to judge the card.

For prolonged use, it is rare that the black screen occurs, and the Driver Stopped error has not occurred since,

may have been a windows error that might not have occurred if I had formatted the computer before the new card came in.

You should be using the latest beta drivers. currently there is no "non beta driver" for the R9's

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I might have been a little too quick to judge the card.
For prolonged use, it is rare that the black screen occurs, and the Driver Stopped error has not occurred since,
may have been a windows error that might not have occurred if I had formatted the computer before the new card came in.

funny, I've been having this exact same problem for the past few weeks, only with a stoneage-Geforce GT-440 instead of a R9 290...

funny, I've been having this exact same problem for the past few weeks, only with a stoneage-Geforce GT-440 instead of a R9 290...

For how long have you experienced this, and how often do you get black screen

This sounds like a lot of guys had expirienced with the R9 290X in the last couple of weeks.

They had to reduce their ram timings, and then the cards have been running more stable. But I think you have more than 1 issue here, because the drivers might be as well, since they're still BETA, not be too much appreciated by your OS...

I would if OC'ed go down with your timings a little bit.

GreetZ Naj

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling