Home server - old server vs new build

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

I'm not too up on what Terraria needs, I suspect a Raspberry Pi could run it, but if OP is anything like me the second you get your first server it's all guns on deck and you suddenly have several games running servers and a hell of a lot of VMs running. 

Terraria doesn't need too much. A Raspberry Pi could run a small world, but a large world (which is what I run) likes 2GB+. Thankfully I already have a server, so I've been through that phase. :P 

Just now, StereoRocker said:

Terraria doesn't need too much. A Raspberry Pi could run a small world, but a large world (which is what I run) likes 2GB+. Thankfully I already have a server, so I've been through that phase. :P 

yeah, I run Minecraft and that is a resource hog, being 3d and all

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

yeah, I run Minecraft and that is a resource hog, being 3d and all

Oh gosh, don't even get me started on Minecraft. The moment mods get involved, it's gg for your RAM, and a single core.

Just now, StereoRocker said:

Oh gosh, don't even get me started on Minecraft. The moment mods get involved, it's gg for your RAM, and a single core.

yes, it's a good idea to offload as much as possible with other modded versions to other cores, things like Network compression and such, you get minecraft to be almost kinda parallelised, but kinda ghetto and jenkily done.  

Yours faithfully