Thinking About Selling

Oshtro
8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

No, I don't have one because even my 780 is more than enough for my needs, so no reason to upgrade. And I would've bought a 290 over my 780 had it not been for miners driving the price of the 290 way up. And are you seriously comparing a 2013 Nvidia/AMD to a 2017 Nvidia/AMD....it's been four years, a lot changes in four years -- drivers are now about on par and we've seen two full generations since then. 

If you paid $1000 for your 980 then you're a moron. The 980 is a great card and your system is still great, but explain to me why I should pay $1200 for a used system that is beaten (ever so slightly) in every way and that has no warranty when I can get a brand new system, with full warranties, that is superior, for $1300?  

You said my system was only worth 1k to someone who had never owned a pc. Implying you're worth some of the others who say it's around 700. Just a bit more than a 980 cost before the 1000 series. And I wasn't comparing them, simply stating they are viable now and will continue to be. I never said I'm selling for 1200, you did. You made a system for 1300, sure it's new and only marginally better game wise but it's also 300 more than what I am selling for. And who said mine isn't under warranty? You did. Plus 1300 compared to my pc and yet you can't beat my pc enough to justify 300 more dollars.

i7 4790K @4.7GHz; MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition; Klevv Neo 4x4Gb 2400Mhz; PNY GeForce GTX 980; Crucial M500 240GB SSD; Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD; Corsair RM750; NZXT Kraken X61 

1 minute ago, Oshtro said:

You said my system was only worth 1k to someone who had never owned a pc. Implying you're worth some of the others who say it's around 700. Just a bit more than a 980 cost before the 1000 series.

And I wasn't comparing them, simply stating they are viable now and will continue to be. I never said I'm selling for 1200, you did. You made a system for 1300, sure it's new and only marginally better game wise but it's also 300 more than what I am selling for. And who said mine isn't under warranty? You did. Plus 1300 compared to my pc and yet you can't beat my pc enough to justify 300 more dollars.

I said your system was worth $1000, but that it would be a hard sell (i.e. that's top dollar). I followed that up implying that anymore than that will only come from someone who doesn't realize that you can build a brand new system for less than $1300. And at launch the 980 was $550, just before Pascal a 980 was around $450 iirc. 

Most warranties don't transfer. Again, I never said it wasn't worth $1000, just that it's not worth more. And you called me a lowballer when I said it's worth $1000, implying that you think it's worth much more (especially since you were valuing it at $1600~ based on yur "50% depreciation" comment).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I said your system was worth $1000, but that it would be a hard sell (i.e. that's top dollar). I followed that up implying that anymore than that will only come from someone who doesn't realize that you can build a brand new system for less than $1300. And at launch the 980 was $550, just before Pascal a 980 was around $450 iirc. 

Most warranties don't transfer. Again, I never said it wasn't worth $1000, just that it's not worth more. And you called me a lowballer when I said it's worth $1000, implying that you think it's worth much more (especially since you were valuing it at $1600~ based on yur "50% depreciation" comment).

That's a 55% value loss from new, not from its current value(you obviously didn't read the comments above). No one can sell something at it's new value if it's been bought, a cars value plummets once it's been bought, even if it's still sitting on the showroom floor. And no you didn't say selling it for more.

i7 4790K @4.7GHz; MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition; Klevv Neo 4x4Gb 2400Mhz; PNY GeForce GTX 980; Crucial M500 240GB SSD; Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD; Corsair RM750; NZXT Kraken X61 

1 minute ago, Oshtro said:

That's a 55% value loss from new, not from its current value(you obviously didn't read the comments above). No one can sell something at it's new value if it's been bought, a cars value plummets once it's been bought, even if it's still sitting on the showroom floor. And no you didn't say selling it for more.

"Your system is only worth about $1000".

That statement has a pretty strong implication that it's worth about $1000 and not more than that. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

"Your system is only worth about $1000".

That statement has a pretty strong implication that it's worth about $1000 and not more than that. 

Holy crap, ok I'll copy and paste for you.

In fairness, your system is only worth about $1000 (and it shouldn't be an easy $1000 either). The fact that people are willing to pay is just because they're ill informed and/or don't know better -- i.e. they see it originally cost over $1600 and think "wow this is a great deal". 

You did say that, then retracted that statement by saying it was only worth 1k to someone who didn't know better. Implying someone who does know pc's won't buy it for that but will see the value as less. Implying it's now not worth 1k.

2 minutes ago, Oshtro said:

Holy crap, ok I'll copy and paste for you.

In fairness, your system is only worth about $1000 (and it shouldn't be an easy $1000 either). The fact that people are willing to pay is just because they're ill informed and/or don't know better -- i.e. they see it originally cost over $1600 and think "wow this is a great deal". 

You did say that, then retracted that statement by saying it was only worth 1k to someone who didn't know better. Implying someone who does know pc's won't buy it for that but will see the value as less. Implying it's now not worth 1k.

Or more reasonably, it implies that anything over $1000 is only going to come from someone who doesn't know better....seeing as the preceeding set of words clearly says it's worth $1000. That's not to mention the fact that the next dozen posts all said the same thing, but yet you still continued to argue that it's worth more. 

@Misanthrope Goal shifting please

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Or more reasonably, it implies that anything over $1000 is only going to come from someone who doesn't know better....seeing as the preceeding set of words clearly says it's worth $1000. That's not to mention the fact that the next dozen posts all said the same thing, but yet you still continued to argue that it's worth more. 

@Misanthrope Goal shifting please

(It's slow so it's very sneaky and people won't notice, shh!)

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 hours ago, Oshtro said:

I've already got a buyer for 1k of just the tower. Yes over half the value lost after 1 gen comes out is ridiculous. You can't build a pc for that price that be better than mine in every way. And people buying that low is called lowballing, maybe know the value of something before you sell it. Guy recently offered my 1.2k for my car, told to screw off cause I know my car is worth more. I bought a bike for 2300, that I guarantee you I could sell for 3k our more right now if i wanted to.

Yeah, if you buy parts assemble it and sell it new, you'll get more out than you put in. But it's used. I know you'll just keep trying to defend it... 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

(It's slow so it's very sneaky and people won't notice, shh!)

I literally lol'd. 

Moving on, OP

I'm not going to offer my opinion on resale values, depreciation, etc. But it does seem quite rude to ask for peoples opinions on what they would value your PC at, then throw around profanity and try to take personal jabs at them just because they disagree with what you asses the value of your gear at. The entire used market is based on what potential customers value whatever you're selling at, not just what the seller thinks it's worth, whether his selling price is in the ballpark or not. Just a thought.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k 3.7Ghz MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4) Storage: Crucial MX300 275Gb | WD Blue 1Tb

GPU: XFX RS RX480 8Gb Case: Corsair 270R PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Monitors: HP 22cwa | BenQ BL2420PT  Cans: ATH-M50x 

2 hours ago, BadluckBrian said:

Yeah, if you buy parts assemble it and sell it new, you'll get more out than you put in. But it's used. I know you'll just keep trying to defend it... 

11 minutes ago, sauce-c said:

I literally lol'd. 

Moving on, OP

I'm not going to offer my opinion on resale values, depreciation, etc. But it does seem quite rude to ask for peoples opinions on what they would value your PC at, then throw around profanity and try to take personal jabs at them just because they disagree with what you asses the value of your gear at. The entire used market is based on what potential customers value whatever you're selling at, not just what the seller thinks it's worth, whether his selling price is in the ballpark or not. Just a thought.

OP dropped it, so just leave it be.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

600 tops

No, that's kind of ridiculous. A new comparable build would cost around $1200. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

No, that's kind of ridiculous. A new comparable build would cost around $1200. 

Yes because it's new has warranties and has a lower chance of failing right after you get it

4 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

Yes because it's new has warranties

and has a lower chance of failing right after you get it

Yes, a new build is worth more, but $600 is ridiculously low, even accounting for warranties. 

I would actually disagree with that statement, most hardware either dies very early or lasts practically forever (outlives its useful life). CPUs/RAM/SSDs basically never die, Mobos/HDDs/GPUs usually last 5+ years, a high end PSU a good 10+ years, a case forever, and an AIO about 3+ years.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yes, a new build is worth more, but $600 is ridiculously low, even accounting for warranties. 

I would actually disagree with that statement, most hardware either dies very early or lasts practically forever (outlives its useful life). CPUs/RAM/SSDs basically never die, Mobos/HDDs/GPUs usually last 5+ years, a high end PSU a good 10+ years, a case forever, and an AIO about 3+ years.

lower chance since with used stuff you don't know where the stuff you're buying came from or how it was handled previously and also just generally electronics lose value Rapidly 

Just now, Alaradia said:

lower chance since with used stuff you don't know where the stuff you're buying came from or how it was handled previously and also just generally electronics lose value Rapidly 

Not that rapidly -- especially when the performance is similar to new hardware. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Alaradia said:

600 tops

Maybe if my gpu had already failed and it didnt come with one, seeing as my gpu and cpu are both on(and have been since i got them) mild overclocks with no issues. @djdwosk97 is right, thats ridiculous for what it takes to build a comparable pc. and on top of that, if buyer was interested in it, i do happen to have a top 10% cpu for that model. which makes it a little more valuable as it can go to a ridiculous overclock.