Just got a 4K TV.. What do you suggest i use to stream 4K content?

Xaphiir

Hey guys, I just got a 4K UHD TV! Pretty excited about it although I don't know what I should use to stream video. I'd like to find a device that is able to handle 4K UHD, and is able to go on the internet so I can go on less popular streaming websites. I've been looking into things like a Chromecast Ultra or a Roku Premiere but I can't seem to find something that's perfect.

The chrome cast looked the most promising since I could select a website from a computer/phone and throw it on the TV but I have a lot of questions: Is it STREAMING from the phone or is it actually accessing the web page itself? If it is, can it support things flash or java?

Mostly I'm just asking what you're favorite media streamer for your TV under $75. I'm leaning towards the Fire TV as of right now just because I have prime, and HBO and Showtime come with it if i do.

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming in fear like his passengers.

25 minutes ago, Xaphiir said:

Is it STREAMING from the phone or is it actually accessing the web page itself?

I believe it streams from the phone, but I have no experience using the chromecast, so IDK.

"Those who are last are sideways and smiling". - Jeremy Clarkson

The best pick in the market right now is the Nvidia ShieldTV. $200 but has real 4K capabilities, gaming, remote+controller, and Android TV so built-in chromecast. Also compatible with Plex (+server), Netflix, Amazon TV, and I guess HBO and Showtime have apps too for AndroidTV.

I know the price is pretty high, but this is the best value you can find (especially if you care about playing PC games on the TV).

The next thing you'd want to check is a HDCP 2.2 compatible A/V receiver for good sound.

[Insert smart comment here]

from what i understand the chromecast receives data from your phone, so your chromecast isn't really downloading anything apart from the backdrops on the home screen. so the chromecast ultra looks pretty good for 4k streaming. 

It's probably a smart tv. Why not use the built in apps? 

Edit: I recommend the Fire TV (not the stick!)

To clear a few things up: Not a smart TV! No apps at all built in, pretty bare bones since we got it so cheap. It only has 4 HDMI ports, Component, and Composite as inputs. I LOVE the NVIDIA Shield TV, a friend of mine has one and that seems like the solution to all my problems except one: price. My only real budget is about $80. I was going to order a Fire TV but they're all out of stock on Amazon! :(

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming in fear like his passengers.

I do have MHL but not a clue on how to work it.

12 hours ago, Xaphiir said:

The chrome cast looked the most promising since I could select a website from a computer/phone and throw it on the TV but I have a lot of questions: Is it STREAMING from the phone or is it actually accessing the web page itself? If it is, can it support things flash or java?

The Chromecast platform simply uses your phone to pass the stream URL to the Chromecast itself - including any authentication data required to watch said stream. It does not however allow casting of arbitrary websites, and definitely does not officially support Flash or Java - both are dead web technologies. Google's latest firmware updates have been focused on stability and locking down the player to work only with services they allow, which is fine since they do support more than anyone else on the market I believe.

That said, you can cast local content from your phone or laptop or tablet to the Chromecast, assuming it's in a supported format.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

56 minutes ago, kirashi said:

The Chromecast platform simply uses your phone to pass the stream URL to the Chromecast itself - including any authentication data required to watch said stream. It does not however allow casting of arbitrary websites, and definitely does not officially support Flash or Java - both are dead web technologies. Google's latest firmware updates have been focused on stability and locking down the player to work only with services they allow, which is fine since they do support more than anyone else on the market I believe.

That said, you can cast local content from your phone or laptop or tablet to the Chromecast, assuming it's in a supported format.

i use videostream when i want to stream local video content to my chromecast 

8 hours ago, Xaphiir said:

My only real budget is about $80. I was going to order a Fire TV but they're all out of stock on Amazon! :(

I've tried the Roku Ultra and the Chromecast Ultra but IMO the Fire TV is the way to go.  Feels snappier than the Roku and has no issues running Kodi, Plex, and game emulators.  The "in stock" dates on Amazon seem off because I just received my second Fire TV this week even though it said it wasn't going to be available until May 12 when I ordered it.

On 4/28/2017 at 6:19 AM, jldjul said:

The best pick in the market right now is the Nvidia ShieldTV. $200 but has real 4K capabilities, gaming, remote+controller, and Android TV so built-in chromecast. Also compatible with Plex (+server), Netflix, Amazon TV, and I guess HBO and Showtime have apps too for AndroidTV.

I know the price is pretty high, but this is the best value you can find (especially if you care about playing PC games on the TV).

The next thing you'd want to check is a HDCP 2.2 compatible A/V receiver for good sound.

I second this.  The Shield TV is stupid powerful and highly functional.  It's almost disgustingly overspeced for what it is but that means it can go years before it'd be obsolete.  It has full access to the Google Play Store and even if Nvidia abandoned it firmware wise, the custom ROM community could keep it going for YEARS since it's a popular and well sold device.