Need a gpu for a dell 265w psu

Nikesbee

I have a dell optiplex 790 mini tower. It is stock and it has i5 2400 with 8gb ddr3. I think the power supply is 265w and 35w goes to the gpu slot. Idk it's just a dell psu. I'm looking for a gpu that can play games like gta 5 at around 60fps on low settings. I saw the gt 730 1gb gddr5 it's a good option for me but it uses a bit more power than what I have. anyone know if the 730 would work and some other cards recommedations. Btw idk about pci slots and wires so it would be best if it was basic Installation and no external stuff

GT 730 isn't even close to enough for GTA V. If your computer can only do 35W to the GPU, that's bad I don't know of any GPU that has enough power to do it but is only 35W. You might have to switch PSU.

Anyway, if you find out that your Optiplex can do 75W, then buy a GTX 1050 Ti and that'll do GTA V on Medium or even High. Make sure to grab a low profile card like this one

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500417

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id look at a gtx 1050, use a bit more than the slot says, but should be fine.

75W is like, more than twice 35W :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

anything that doesnt have a pcie power connector and doesnt push the pcie slot power beyond reasonable limits should be fine.

with that said, i'm not responsible if you nuke stuff, but if you want to try i'd point towards the GTX1050

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

75W is like, more than twice 35W :P

the pcie slot power rating is 75 watts, and afaik dell generally follows that.

I think the goal here is actually to get a better PSU for your new GPU. Getting something like a 730 is a waste of money

That's an F in the profile pic

23 minutes ago, Energycore said:

GT 730 isn't even close to enough for GTA V. If your computer can only do 35W to the GPU, that's bad I don't know of any GPU that has enough power to do it but is only 35W. You might have to switch PSU.

Umm...GTA V wont run on the DDR3 Version but the GDDR5 version can actually play the game decently. Like the DDR3 version gets 40 fps on 720p low and the GDDR5 version gets 80 to 100 FPS on those settings. Hell 1080p Normal and it still does 30 to 35 FPS

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

4 hours ago, manikyath said:

anything that doesnt have a pcie power connector and doesnt push the pcie slot power beyond reasonable limits should be fine.

with that said, i'm not responsible if you nuke stuff, but if you want to try i'd point towards the GTX1050

the pcie slot power rating is 75 watts, and afaik dell generally follows that.

I think it's probably 75w and not a 35w. But don't I still need a 300w though? Like the 750ti uses only 60w but still requires a 300w psu and I have a 265w so could that break my pc?

5 hours ago, Nikesbee said:

I think it's probably 75w and not a 35w. But don't I still need a 300w though? Like the 750ti uses only 60w but still requires a 300w psu and I have a 265w so could that break my pc?

the psu requirements manufacturers toss on GPUs are purposely overestimated, the actual number depends on too many other factors for them to give you a reasonable number.

Main issue with trying to fit a card into a SFF case is the size of the card. Any decent card is usually going to be 2 slots wide and many SFF cases don't have room for one. Any card that does fit likely won't be very good or worth the money at all.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

17 hours ago, Krillingt75961 said:

Main issue with trying to fit a card into a SFF case is the size of the card. Any decent card is usually going to be 2 slots wide and many SFF cases don't have room for one. Any card that does fit likely won't be very good or worth the money at all.

I got a mini tower but it seems kinda tight even if it's not sff. I'll have to measure it 

1 minute ago, Nikesbee said:

I got a mini tower but it seems kinda tight even if it's not sff. I'll have to measure it 

Well if you do have clearance between the slot and case, keep an eye out for clearance between RAM and the card. looked up the mini tower version and that seems like it could also be an issue.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe