Upgrading

So i currently have an rx 460 and an i3. Should i upgrade to an i5 and an rx 580? Is it worth it? Should i just upgrade to an i5?

Depends on what you do with your current setup

Spoiler

My system:

CPU: i5-6600K <> Mobo: Gigabyte Z270X Ultra Gaming <> Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 <> GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 <> SSD: Intel 600p 256Gb

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (16Gb @ 3000Mhz) <> PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W <> Case: Corsair Carbide 400C <> Fans: 6x Bitfenix Spectre 

Monitor: Asus VG248QE <> Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300 <> Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes Ultimate <> Speakers: Logitech Z333

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Ok, my cheapo Bitfenix fans are 120mm, all six of them. Are you happy now?

Spoiler

I am not actually Linus...

Spoiler

You can leave my signature now.....

Just now, App4that said:

List your complete specs including models.

CPU: I3 4170

GPU: Gigabyte RX 460 4gb

Ram: 8gb HyperX (2x4gb)

Mobo: MSI H81M-E33

Hdd: WD Blue 1tb

SSD: 128gb adata (boot drive)

PSU: Corsair CS500 (500w)

You're going to have to go used for the CPU, and it will have to be locked. Not sure that's the best move. In your position I think the best thing is to save up and start a new build. Just put one together yesturday with a R5 1400 and 570 for under 800 bucks. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

10 minutes ago, App4that said:

You're going to have to go used for the CPU, and it will have to be locked. Not sure that's the best move. In your position I think the best thing is to save up and start a new build. Just put one together yesturday with a R5 1400 and 570 for under 800 bucks. 

Why rebuild  a new pc? Wont upgrading upgrading be fine? I dont plan on overclocking

Overclocking is the best way to get the most for your money, by far. Your motherboard is limited to locked Haswell CPUs, With more and more games wanting threads you'd be best off if you keep that board going to a 4770 or 4790, but even used they will run close to the cost of a Ryzen 1400 that will beat them. You're also limited to DDR3 memory which is where most modern architectures get their performance gains. 

get an haswell i5/i7 second hand, they are still good and doesn't matter if unlocked or locked and upgrade your gpu, the 460 isn't the best. 580 will be a good choice

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Just now, App4that said:

Overclocking is the best way to get the most for your money, by far. You're motherboard is limited to locked Haswell CPUs, With more and more game wanting threads you'd be best off if you keep that board going to a 4770 or 4790, but even use they will run close to the cost of a Ryzen 1400 that will beat them. You're also limited to DDR3 memory with is where most modern architectures get their performance gains. 

I dont really want to build a new build and i just want to upgrade this one. If i just go for the upgrade, i found this i7 on ebay that will work with my mobo. I wont be overclocking it but should i go and bid for it in 3 days time? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Core-i7-4790k-Devils-Canyon-4GHz-4-4GHz-boost-Socket-LGA-1150-/162487601537?hash=item25d5040981:g:6bkAAOSwvihY~Nx5  Its an i7 4790k.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Overclocking is the best way to get the most for your money, by far. Your motherboard is limited to locked Haswell CPUs, With more and more games wanting threads you'd be best off if you keep that board going to a 4770 or 4790, but even used they will run close to the cost of a Ryzen 1400 that will beat them. You're also limited to DDR3 memory with is where most modern architectures get their performance gains. 

though you still can use a 4770k /4790k don't you? you just can't overclock it

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

2 minutes ago, Lil Loki said:

I dont really want to build a new build and i just want to upgrade this one. If i just go for the upgrade, i found this i7 on ebay that will work with my mobo. I wont be overclocking it but should i go and bid for it in 3 days time? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Core-i7-4790k-Devils-Canyon-4GHz-4-4GHz-boost-Socket-LGA-1150-/162487601537?hash=item25d5040981:g:6bkAAOSwvihY~Nx5  Its an i7 4790k.

get it if you can, it is supported according to msi's website. still a very capable cpu  :)

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

2 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

though you still can use a 4770k /4790k don't you? you just can't overclock it

Why? You're wasting money as you won't be able to overclock it. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Ill spend more money trying to build a new pc. And upgrading will be less hassle.

Just now, App4that said:

well it's not wasted money: the k always comes with a good frequency bump over the non-k counterpart, so it will give you more performance even if you don't overclock further. and on the used market, the price difference between k and non k shouldn't be that big.

In case of the 4790 k vs the non k it's a 400MHz bump so....

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

4 minutes ago, Lil Loki said:

Ill spend more money trying to build a new pc. And upgrading will be less hassle.

Until there's an issue with your motherboard, or you get a bad pull at the used market luck lever. Used will always be more hassle than new, I still buy used but I understand the risks. 

Your money, just offering you advice. Here the 4770 is just about free as you can't dispose of PCs without paying for it so larger buisnesses give them away, and the 4770 was a popular workstation CPU. The 4790k runs hot, even at stock speeds so you will need a aftermarket cooler, but at stock speeds even a EVO 212 will do fine.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Until there's an issue with your motherboard, or you get a pad pull at the used market luck lever. Used will always be more hassle than new, I still buy used but I understand the risks. 

Your money, just offering you advice. Here the 4770 is just about free as you can't dispose of PCs without paying for it so larger buisnesses give them away, and the 4770 was a popular workstation CPU. The 4790k runs hot, even at stock speeds so you will need a aftermarket cooler, but at stock speeds even a EVO 212 will do fine.

So i think ill get an i7 4790k on ebay for 50-120 GBP and get the EVO 212. Does the EVO 212 come with the fan for the cooler: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Hyper-RR-212E-16PK-R1-Heatpipe/dp/B0068OI7T8/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1493236790&sr=1-1&keywords=EVO%2B212&th=1 ?

Then ill get the rx 580 new from amazon.

Yep, the 212 has a fan included, and thermal paste if I remeber right. 

Just now, App4that said:

Yep, the 212 has a fan included, and thermal paste if I remeber right. 

Yes on Amazon it says there is thermal paste. And i know this might be a silly question, But to sort out the cable management in my pc is it fine to disconnect my hdd and ssd from my mobo to sort out the cables?

Yep, just be sure to be properly grounded and have the PC unplugged from the wall. but if the power supply has a disconnect switch you can use that too. 

19 hours ago, App4that said:

Until there's an issue with your motherboard, or you get a bad pull at the used market luck lever. Used will always be more hassle than new, I still buy used but I understand the risks. 

If im not able to get the 4790k thats on a bid on ebay should i go and bid for the 4770k? 

A 4770k runs a little hotter than a 4790k, that's about it. But at stock clocks shouldn't be an issue for a EVO 212. 

Just now, App4that said:

A 4770k runs a little hotter than a 4790k, that's about it. But at stock clocks shouldn't be an issue for a EVO 212. 

Ok so if i cant get the 4790k i should go for the 4770k?

20 hours ago, App4that said:

Overclocking is the best way to get the most for your money, by far.

That's only really true if you've got the overhead for it...if you need to pay extra for a cooling solution in order to be able to overclock it, it's probably better to roll that money into a more expensive CPU (if you're buying used).

I use an i3 and it's pretty much been okay...it's not that bad...if I didn't already have a GTX 970 I'm happy with I'd put the money into a new graphics card.

Really it depends on what you need it for and how often you want to upgrade (if you don't want to keep having to make incremental adjustments then spend more for more expensive components that you don't have to swap out as often. I think that depends on how much you enjoy tooling about with it all and whether or not you have more time than money or vice versa).

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Either or. I'd try for the 4790k if possible though. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Either or. I'd try for the 4790k if possible though. 

Ye, what other 4th gen i7s are there?