FLACs from Audio CDs - VLC Media Player

BestPCBuilder2017
Go to solution Solved by PlayStation 2,
Just now, NCIX Lampy said:

Okay, but is that normal for that to happen? Thank you for responding to the original post involving VLC. 

For whatever reason, VLC doesn't really care to add extensions to whatever it spits out. So concerning VLC, yes it's normal.

3 hours ago, SSL said:

flac-1.3.2.win.zip

Did you install EAC with FLAC support?

I didn't see that as an option, I'll reinstall it. 

I extracted the ZIP file, but I'm not sure what to do after that. I went into the Win64 folder and tried running the application, but nothing really happened. I got some weird command prompt window to appear for 2 seconds before it closed itself. 

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

For whatever reason, VLC doesn't really care to add extensions to whatever it spits out. So concerning VLC, yes it's normal.

Thank you so much! 

@SSL Oh you mean this bit: 

Image.png.c89f7edf044d11a40b45445a6195b013.png

Yeah I did that, I had all of them selected. 

When you run Exact Audio Copy for the first time, you get a Wizard which moves you through a quick configuration.

At some point, it lets you select if you want to save the audio tracks as uncompressed WAV files (that you can compress to FLAC or Opus or MP3 or AAC or whatever you want at a later time), or you can choose to compress directly to FLAC format.

If you somehow missed that (or maybe you closed the wizard) you can run it again at any time by going in the menu : EAC > Configuration wizard...

Then just select the audio tracks and press one of the buttons on the left  (the one with WAV on it, or the one with CMP on it, cmp being short for "compressed")

3 hours ago, mariushm said:

When you run Exact Audio Copy for the first time, you get a Wizard which moves you through a quick configuration.

At some point, it lets you select if you want to save the audio tracks as uncompressed WAV files (that you can compress to FLAC or Opus or MP3 or AAC or whatever you want at a later time), or you can choose to compress directly to FLAC format.

If you somehow missed that (or maybe you closed the wizard) you can run it again at any time by going in the menu : EAC > Configuration wizard...

Then just select the audio tracks and press one of the buttons on the left  (the one with WAV on it, or the one with CMP on it, cmp being short for "compressed")

This, right? 

Image.png.8fd1e6cdb3e11cfcb99fad2bd26365d8.png

I selected FLAC, so...?...

so then shove an audio cd inside your drive and click one of the buttons like i said in my post.

Both buttons/options only produce WAV files. 

1 hour ago, NCIX Lampy said:

Are you sure? I did not see that as an option. I'm pretty sure WMP does not support ripping to FLAC format, let alone playing FLAC files. Correct me with documentation and or sources if I'm wrong. 

I did it to all my cd's,

so pretty sure

44 minutes ago, SSL said:

You need to install the FLAC codec.

I don't remember doing that

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

3 hours ago, spwath said:

I did it to all my cd's,

so pretty sure

I don't remember doing that

Can you double check? I just checked on my end and I did not see it as an option. 

3 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

Can you double check? I just checked on my end and I did not see it as an option. 

I have 30gb of FLAC on my pc, a stack of cds, and just wmp. I used it.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

so then shove an audio cd inside your drive and click one of the buttons like i said in my post.

3 hours ago, NCIX Lampy said:

Both buttons/options only produce WAV files. 

Wait... I think I got it... It's very strange though, it's finishing up so I'll post in a minute or two to be sure. 

I got it! It's very very very strange though....... It rips as WAV and then it seems to compress the track using an "external program". It only worked using the CMP option though. I don't understand why it's compressing it rather than a direct FLAC file. 

The WAV files seem to be larger in size compared to FLAC files, I'm not sure if that's normal or not though. 

3 hours ago, spwath said:

I have 30gb of FLAC on my pc, a stack of cds, and just wmp. I used it.

Could you post a picture? (sorry if I'm asking, but it's literally not showing FLAC as an option) I just changed discs as well just to be sure and FLAC still does not show up as an option. 

19 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

I got it! It's very very very strange though....... It rips as WAV and then it seems to compress the track using an "external program". It only worked using the CMP option though. I don't understand why it's compressing it rather than a direct FLAC file. 

The WAV files seem to be larger in size compared to FLAC files, I'm not sure if that's normal or not though. 

That is normal, CD audio is what is known as Red Book audio, EAC will then take the LPCM stream from the CD and encode it into a WAV.  Then it will take that WAV and compress it.

WAV is larger because it is uncompressed, as everyone from your last thread pointed out.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

3 hours ago, Pomfinator said:

That is normal, CD audio is what is known as Red Book audio, EAC will then take the LPCM stream from the CD and encode it into a WAV.  Then it will take that WAV and compress it.

WAV is larger because it is uncompressed, as everyone from your last thread pointed out.

I haven't gotten to that thread yet, I've been extremely busy IRL, but I guess I appreciate the reminder. 

1 minute ago, NCIX Lampy said:

I haven't gotten to that thread yet, I've been extremely busy IRL, but I guess I appreciate the reminder. 

All the replies that said WAV was uncompressed and FLAC being compressed was before you stopped replying.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

3 hours ago, Pomfinator said:

All the replies that said WAV was uncompressed and FLAC being compressed was before you stopped replying.

As I've said before, I haven't gotten to it yet. 

I wouldn't use VLC for ripping, simply since other tools do it better, including media players/library software. That's why I declined to answer the OP.

If WMP works without installing the FLAC codec, then great. That seems unlikely, though, as I recall looking for the option myself without being able to find it. I used WMP once upon a time. I also dislike WMP in terms of metadata editing and library organization. Even album art is saved as a hidden, protecte file, so you can't even see it in File Explorer by default. Stupid and annoying.

ill check when I get home

3 hours ago, SSL said:

I wouldn't use VLC for ripping, simply since other tools do it better, including media players/library software. That's why I declined to answer the OP.

If WMP works without installing the FLAC codec, then great. That seems unlikely, though, as I recall looking for the option myself without being able to find it. I used WMP once upon a time. I also dislike WMP in terms of metadata editing and library organization. Even album art is saved as a hidden, protecte file, so you can't even see it in File Explorer by default. Stupid and annoying.

I use WMP for ripping which I haven't had issues with except for the option of FLAC not being available, in which case I just use VLC Media Player (thanks to dan for the info). I need to use VLC over WMP for playing because of it's support for FLAC playing (which is not something WMP has as far as I'm aware and have attempted). I haven't had issues using VLC Media Player for playing ripped audio that came from WMP. 

17 minutes ago, SSL said:

So I decided to check it out and WMP does indeed support FLAC now. And you don't have to install the FLAC codec.

Capture.thumb.PNG.83f3d1389a639c1e28b8487d29c7c818.PNG

dfg.png.4669ba9d0593dea0e3a1e0c87aa11658.png

Although, I'm more surprised by the fact that WMP still ships with Windows. 

I thought it had been killed off a long time ago.

Edit: It's still terrible at fetching and editing metadata. Reminds of of why I stopped using it over 10 years ago.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

3 hours ago, Volbet said:

So I decided to check it out and WMP does indeed support FLAC now. And you don't have to install the FLAC codec.

-snip

Although, I'm more surprised by the fact that WMP still ships with Windows. 

I thought it had been killed off a long time ago.

Edit: It's still terrible at fetching and editing metadata. Reminds of of why I stopped using it over 10 years ago.

Interesting! I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro, I see you're running Windows 10 so I will boot in later to have a look! Thank you for the post! 

4 minutes ago, Volbet said:

It's still terrible at fetching and editing metadata. Reminds of of why I stopped using it over 10 years ago.

Bingo. My ideal media player directly edits the metadata and doesn't store things in a secret filesystem (iTunes) or supply fake metadata (WMP with WAV) or do other proprietary nonsense. Basically, the filesystem is the library and the player is just an interface on top of it. Which is exactly what Foobar accomplishes.