FLACs from Audio CDs - VLC Media Player

BestPCBuilder2017
Go to solution Solved by PlayStation 2,
Just now, NCIX Lampy said:

Okay, but is that normal for that to happen? Thank you for responding to the original post involving VLC. 

For whatever reason, VLC doesn't really care to add extensions to whatever it spits out. So concerning VLC, yes it's normal.

So... I'm trying to rip FLAC files from my audio disc (yes, I paid for it), and I'm trying to use VLC Media Player to do it, but I'm having some really weird issues. When I get the result, it's a file that doesn't have an extension. When I rename the file to have the FLAC extension, everything seems to be okay as far as I'm aware anyway. The renamed file with the extension added is able to be played in VLC media player and the file is decently large in size (as expected from FLAC format). Even without the file extension though, it's able to be played with VLC Media Player. Is this normal for this to happen? 

My options/selections are: 

Media > Convert / Save > Disc tab > Audio CD 

Starting Position > Track > set to 1 (or the specific track that needs to be ripped) instead of 0, if I have it set to 0, it will attempt to rip all tracks but the result is that it will only end up with the last track as a result instead of having all of them. It seems to only be able to do one track at a time instead of doing all at once. 

Convert / Save button > Convert Window > Under Settings > Dump raw input, if I have Convert selected and under Profile set to "Audio - FLAC", then in the Profile Edition Window set to FLAC, then in the Audio codec tab with Audio checked and Keep original audio track checked, it will end up with a FLAC file but VLC Media Player won't play it. 

I have no idea if I'm doing this right or not, but this is the best that I've found that seems to be half working rather than nothing at all. 

1 hour ago, NCIX Lampy said:

@WoodenMarker If I get this answered I'll buy stuff from the store. Do you know anyone that could help? 

Uh, what? Trying to buy assistance here? Okay...

So, I use the free program Exact Audio Copy, which ships with FLAC support. The interface is a bit clunky but it's probably the best free ripper you can get. For paid software, there is dbpoweramp. If you use Foobar2k, it also has the capability to rip CDs. You would need to install the FLAC codec separately in that case.

You should use Exact Audio Copy, it has built in FLAC support and can transfer the audio tracks more accurately and compress them to FLAC  : http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/

It's pretty much the "standard" when it comes to ripping audio cds

Alternatively, you can save the audio CD as WAV files then drag them in a nicer player like Foobar2k which also has built in FLAC encoder, so you can just select all wav files, then right click on them and select  convert > To FLAC and you get your FLAC files.

17 minutes ago, SSL said:

Uh, what? Trying to buy assistance here? Okay...

So, I use the free program Exact Audio Copy, which ships with FLAC support. The interface is a bit clunky but it's probably the best free ripper you can get. For paid software, there is dbpoweramp. If you use Foobar2k, it also has the capability to rip CDs. You would need to install the FLAC codec separately in that case.

why not Windows Media Player? Free, on computer already, easy to rip to flac.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

3 minutes ago, spwath said:

Wild. The FLAC website needs to update their docs, then.

Just now, SSL said:

Wild. The FLAC website needs to update their docs, then.

yeah,I always is wmp, It's designed for stupid people, so is easy. Just select flac and go.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

4 hours ago, spwath said:

Are you sure? I did not see that as an option. I'm pretty sure WMP does not support ripping to FLAC format, let alone playing FLAC files. Correct me with documentation and or sources if I'm wrong. 

20 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

Are you sure? I did not see that as an option. I'm pretty sure WMP does not support ripping to FLAC format, let alone playing FLAC files. Correct me with documentation and or sources if I'm wrong. 

You need to install the FLAC codec.

3 hours ago, SSL said:

You need to install the FLAC codec.

Where can I get that from? 

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

Alternatively, you can save the audio CD as WAV files then drag them in a nicer player like Foobar2k which also has built in FLAC encoder, so you can just select all wav files, then right click on them and select  convert > To FLAC and you get your FLAC files.

Foobar can rip CDs and encode them to FLAC directly.

3 hours ago, SSL said:

Foobar can rip CDs and encode them to FLAC directly.

That didn't answer my question. 

That didn't answer my question. 

I know.

3 hours ago, SSL said:

I know.

Then what was the point of that? 

Then what was the point of that? 

I was responding to another post in the thread. Hopefully that wasn't a problem.

3 hours ago, SSL said:

I was responding to another post in the thread. Hopefully that wasn't a problem.

My bad, somehow I got that confused with my post. No idea how that happened. o.O

My bad, somehow I got that confused with my post. No idea how that happened. o.O

To answer your easily answered question, FLAC lives at xiph.org/flac

5 hours ago, mariushm said:

You should use Exact Audio Copy, it has built in FLAC support and can transfer the audio tracks more accurately and compress them to FLAC  : http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/

It's pretty much the "standard" when it comes to ripping audio cds

Where in the program does it have options for FLAC ripping, I don't see it. 

Where in the program does it have options for FLAC ripping, I don't see it. 

Click on the CMP icon on the main interface.

3 hours ago, SSL said:

Click on the CMP icon on the main interface.

Yeah it's only producing the result in .WAV format, not .FLAC 

1 minute ago, NCIX Lampy said:

http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/flac/

?.... I don't see where the installer is at >.>

flac-1.3.2.win.zip

1 minute ago, NCIX Lampy said:

Yeah it's only producing the result in .WAV format, not .FLAC 

Did you install EAC with FLAC support?

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

VLC will still identify a file by what it is even if it doesn't have an extension. To make a long story short, it's still a FLAC file, it just doesn't have an extension.

Okay, but is that normal for that to happen? Thank you for responding to the original post involving VLC. 

For whatever reason, VLC doesn't really care to add extensions to whatever it spits out. So concerning VLC, yes it's normal.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.