Core i3 7100 or wait for Ryzen 3?

Hello,

I am building my own PC and I have never built one before. I will be using it for some gaming, some light photo and video editing, and some day-to-day tasks(I usually have around 20 chrome tabs open). I was originally going to use an Intel Core i3 7100 with an MSI B250M Pro-VDH mATX mobo but then I heard about Ryzen 3 releasing in 2H'17. Should I just buy an i3 7100 or wait for Ryzen?

Thanks

The i3 has been more or less rendered obsolete by the Kaby Lake Pentium family. I would say that's your real quandary there--G4560 or Ryzen 3.

Unless you really need the PC now, I'd wait and see what price points Ryzen ends up coming in at, and if the performance justifies a higher price. The G4560 is a very, very compelling low to midrange CPU right now.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

I may own a i3 7100, but I bought because 1. The a8-7600 is a piece of shit. 2. There is a 53% performance boost. But wait for the Ryzen 3 processors, it might be worth the wait for all we know.

The geek himself.

What's your budget?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Although Ryzen for me has been a total and complete letdown, I would still wait. Also with gaming, Ryzen has kind have tanked it in that aspect, but R3 may be  better. I would personally be leaning on the i3 side though. I personally owned an i3 2120, and it was a fine and dandy CPU if I do say so.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 GPU: MSi GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC RAM: 14GB DDR3 (3x2GB, 1x8GB) Mobo: Acer MB.GAU07.001 Case: Gateway DX4860 PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze Plus

1 minute ago, a e s t h e t i c a s said:

Although Ryzen for me has been a total and complete letdown, I would still wait. Also with gaming, Ryzen has kind have tanked it in that aspect, but R3 may be  better. I would personally be leaning on the i3 side though. I personally owned an i3 2120, and it was a fine and dandy CPU if I do say so.

Have you ever benchmarked a CPU of your own, or do you rely solely on Intel's PR department for your information?

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Have you ever benchmarked a CPU of your own, or do you rely solely on Intel's PR department for your information?

I personally rely on multiple peoples benchmarks (NOAB, JayzTwoCents, LTT, HawdrareCanucks, etc). Also I do not like synthetic benchmarks. I prefer actual gameplay. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 GPU: MSi GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC RAM: 14GB DDR3 (3x2GB, 1x8GB) Mobo: Acer MB.GAU07.001 Case: Gateway DX4860 PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze Plus

14 minutes ago, a e s t h e t i c a s said:

people have hyped it way way too much imo.

people were going: well its going to beat inthells 7700k at 5ghz while ryzen will chill at 4.5ghz, and only at a price of $150!

I personally wanted ryzen to be somewhere around the haswell/skylake IPC, and well its above skylake but under kaby lake (I think it was, but I only watched early benchers)

this was the first CPU launch with a whole new platform, and I honestly didn't expect the train wreck with everything going on, but history has repeated itself, and these problems could be found with a whole new platform launch (not going from something like lga 1155 to lga 1150)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

people have hyped it way way too much imo.

people were going: well its going to beat inthells 7700k at 5ghz while ryzen will chill at 4.5ghz, and only at a price of $150!

I personally wanted ryzen to be somewhere around the haswell/skylake IPC, and well its above skylake but under kaby lake (I think it was, but I only watched early benchers)

this was the first CPU launch with a whole new platform, and I honestly didn't expect the train wreck with everything going on, but history has repeated itself, and these problems could be found with a whole new platform launch (not going from something like lga 1155 to lga 1150)

I think the hype really killed it. If people tried thinking of it being more of a budget platform, rather than the destroyer of Intel, I think Ryzen would have been more successful. Ryzen isn't a bad chip by any means, I think that people just wanted it to be more. Same with AMDs new GPUs too.

1 minute ago, a e s t h e t i c a s said:

I think the hype really killed it. If people tried thinking of it being more of a budget platform, rather than the destroyer of Intel, I think Ryzen would have been more successful. Ryzen isn't a bad chip by any means, I think that people just wanted it to be more. Same with AMDs new GPUs too.

I thought of it as intels enthusiast line killer because it killed their prosumer lga 2011-v3 chips at price/performance, but at the cost of being an early adopter with bugs

people were only hyped it as a intel destroyer because whoah $250 i7 7700k (by specs), lets ignore IPC and hope that its like 20% better than baby lake's, and also lets ignore the fact that this is new silicon and that overclocking will be fucking terrible! 

(lets just say I have a early q6600.. me me salty it wont overclock for shit)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

What's your budget?

i pretty much maxed out on my budget

One more vote for Ryzen 3. It's a 4 core and hopefully they will put all cores on single die... so it mught be pretty good (I don't understand why they did that cross talk on 1500x).

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)

First off, you're going to get very similar frames between the Pentium G4560, and the i3-7100.

So I would go with the Pentium, it being so much cheaper.

However, there are other options to you as well, such as used processors, and Ryzen 3, so being the "most power for my money" kind of guy I am, I would get the Ryzen 5 1400.

It costs a little bit more, it's CPU cooler is quieter, it will last much longer, and to upgrade to AMD's next generation CPU after Zen, you don't need to change anything out besides the CPU, and maybe it's cooler.

So Ryzen will last you longer, and is future proof over the intel build, which will show its age only a few years after your purchase, and it being 4 cores, and 8 threads, it is faster than the i3, and the Pentium, and the same in gaming performance, so you can expect it to last you a good long while.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

AMD ryzen CPUs are made for mainstream Creators, you just had to take a look at multitasking apps performances on R7 1600 vs i7 7700k. However AMD still behind on high end gaming CPUs because of their modules which create latency. the only one thing great with these modules is the fact that they stack up the memory cache L3

Or should I just buy a Ryzen 5 1400?