New headset&sound card

kimxta

Hello!

Im planing on buying a new pair of headset/headphones & a sound card. I've been looking at the Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME & one of these sound cards: ASUS Xonar D2X, ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus and the ASUS Xonar Essence STX. 

What would be the best to get for gaming/music? :)

That's the one "good" headset there is, however, I bet you could do better with your money due to the European market. The Senn. HD 558 is basically the same headphone (slightly better build), and with a Blue Snowflake Microphone it should cost less than the PC 360. If I'm wrong about the prices due to some sale, or a shift in prices - grab the PC 360 for sure.

Now, as for a soundcard, do not get one.

• If you're considering the pricey Phoebus or STX, get an O2 amplifier instead (add an ODAC if you can afford it - integrates into the O2 chassis).
  • If you're considering the cheaper soundcards, get a FiiO E10 instead 

If you're worried about virtual surround sound, Razer Surround is free software, even though most games come with headphone-optimized settings built-in.

That's the one "good" headset there is, however, I bet you could do better with your money due to the European market. The Senn. HD 558 is basically the same headphone (slightly better build), and with a Blue Snowflake Microphone it should cost less than the PC 360. If I'm wrong about the prices due to some sale, or a shift in prices - grab the PC 360 for sure.

• If you're considering the pricey Phoebus or STX, get an O2 amplifier instead (add an ODAC if you can afford it - integrates into the O2 chassis).

If you're worried about virtual surround sound, Razer Surround is free software.

This completely.

Now move along people...   nothing more to be said here. 

End thread.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If you're worried about virtual surround sound, Razer Surround is free software, even though most games come with headphone-optimized settings built-in.

Quick piece of info: The Fiio E10 is literally over double the price in Norway compared to Newegg US. if it weren't for me not wanting external things (no external harddrives for example) and me already having the D2X, I would've gotten the E10, but hey, the cheapest here is 948 NOK, whereas the D2X is 1052 NOK or something. as for the E10, when I just googled however many USD it was, in NOK it was 430. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Quick piece of info: The Fiio E10 is literally over double the price in Norway compared to Newegg US. if it weren't for me not wanting external things (no external harddrives for example) and me already having the D2X, I would've gotten the E10, but hey, the cheapest here is 948 NOK, whereas the D2X is 1052 NOK or something. as for the E10, when I just googled however many USD it was, in NOK it was 430.

But is the soundcard similarly overpriced, or the same price in both markets?

But is the soundcard similarly overpriced, or the same price in both markets?

can't find it on newegg or NCIX, so I don't know, but according to a review of it when it was launched, it was 170 USD, which is 1070 with todays currencies. 

EDIT: fingers are not doing much good today, many typos 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

about 100.

Well in that case, if OP's in the situation of having bad onboard audio, is on a tight budget, and can't find the fiio at a reasonable price, it'd be worth looking into getting a DX from a store with a good return policy.

+1 pro point to you for thinking about prices. :)

Thanks for the help. Will be looking into prices on the soundcards+reading reviews :) Money ain't a problem, but would be nice to get a good soundcard without paying too much ;)

Thanks for the help. Will be looking into prices on the soundcards+reading reviews :) Money ain't a problem, but would be nice to get a good soundcard without paying too much ;)

No product like that exists.

That is if you need a soundcard in the first place.