i5 4570 vs Ryzen 1700

1 hour ago, He_162 said:

Indeed, Intel is skipping 7nm for 5nm, and they are going to 10nm.

AMD is skipping 10nm and going for 7nm.

What we will see is the following:

(AMD 14nm vs Intel 14nm (mainstream) and 10nm (laptop) (2018)

AMD 7nm vs Intel 10nm (2019)

AMD 7nm vs intel 5nm (2020)

Keep in mind both companies are making 6 cores the standard for i5's and i7's, as well as AMD's "R5"s now

The next set of i7's in coffee lake "i7-8xxx" will be 6 core, 12 thread processors as fast as the i7-7700k.

Wait Intel is skipping 7nm?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Wait Intel is skipping 7nm?

Indeed, they are going to do 3 10nm nodes, and then go strait to 5nm.

Starting with Cannonlake, Followed by Icelake, followed by Tigerlake, the 5nm node has not been named.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

Nevermind, I checked again and it hasn't really been confirmed, it's just that if they do not skip 7nm, they are going to be way behind when AMD gets to 3nm, so them skipping 7nm really isn't for sure, but nothing has been planned for 7nm either way.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

10 hours ago, He_162 said:

Indeed, they are going to do 3 10nm nodes, and then go strait to 5nm.

Starting with Cannonlake, Followed by Icelake, followed by Tigerlake, the 5nm node has not been named.

Wait wat. Is this confirmed, or just a rumor?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

9 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Wait wat. Is this confirmed, or just a rumor?

It is confirmed that they are going to have 3 10nm nodes, no 5nm node has been confirmed, but neither has a 7nm node, and they would have to make a really really really good 10nm architecture if they want to keep ahead of AMD.

On 2017-4-24 at 1:49 AM, paulo93 said:

I currently have a gtx 1070.

I know some games are CPU intensive and that is why I want to upgrade it

If you can get a 4th gen i7 for a competitive price(second hand ) that would save you quite some money and trouble of upgrading your mobo and memory. Otherwise if you are keen on getting a new system, from a pure gaming standpoint an i7 7th gen would be a better choice. 

1 hour ago, He_162 said:

It is confirmed that they are going to have 3 10nm nodes, no 5nm node has been confirmed, but neither has a 7nm node, and they would have to make a really really really good 10nm architecture if they want to keep ahead of AMD.

To be fair though, Intel 10nm is gonna be more equal to GloFo 7nm. I'd guess that Intel is still gonna make a 7nm, it's just significantly delayed (until 2020 or 2021 even).

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

To be fair though, Intel 10nm is gonna be more equal to GloFo 7nm. I'd guess that Intel is still gonna make a 7nm, it's just significantly delayed (until 2020 or 2021 even).

I wouldn't be so sure, Intel's 10nm first gen is supposed to be on par with intel 14nm++ (Coffee Lake)

This is the plan:

Cannon Lake Processors for notebooks and mobile devices needing high performance, low power processors in the second half of 2017.
Coffee Lake Processors for desktops in the second half of 2017 (possibly first 1/4th of 2018) (They are bringing 6 cores to their i7 and i5 lineup).
Ice Lake follows Cannonlake, and will be 10nm processors for the desktop, which will be 15% faster than Cannonlake, which is already 15% faster than kaby lake (2019)

Tiger Lake follows Icelake, icelake comes out in 2019, and tiger lake in 2020, Tiger lake will be 15% faster than Icelake, probably in the same way Kaby Lake is faster than Skylake.

That being said, by the time tiger lake rolls around, we can expect 5ghz to be a boost clock speed in standard 6 core processors from intel, with 30% higher single core performance than Cannonlake, and 45% faster clock per clock speeds to Kaby Lake.

AMD is currently 7% slower than Kaby Lake clock for clock with AMD Ryzen, and plans to compete with Icelake, and Tigerlake with their "Zen 2" and "Zen 3" cores, all of them are going to use the Am4 chipset and platform, unless Zen 3 decides to use upcoming DDR5 ram.

Zen 2 is expected to be 15% faster than Ryzen, and that puts it just ahead of Kaby Lake by 8%, and behind Cannonlake. However, we can expect the larger cache, and new design to be cheaper as has been AMD's motto or guideline, make it equal, and cheaper rather than better and really expensive.

Not much is known about Zen 3 other than it will improve in IPC over Zen 2, and we have no clue as to what size the transistors will be in that CPU, but we know it is planned for 2020.

That's the latest news on these upcoming processors.

If I was going to upgrade and I hated AMD with a passion, you'd bet I'd be eyeing those upcoming Coffee Lake 6 cores, basically a i5-7600K with 2 extra cores, and if the rumors are true, they may not have hyperthreading.

To avoid being off topic, mind if we move this to a private discussion if you want to talk more about it? Message me :)

11 hours ago, He_162 said:

I wouldn't be so sure, Intel's 10nm first gen is supposed to be on par with intel 14nm++ (Coffee Lake)

This is the plan:

Cannon Lake Processors for notebooks and mobile devices needing high performance, low power processors in the second half of 2017.
Coffee Lake Processors for desktops in the second half of 2017 (possibly first 1/4th of 2018) (They are bringing 6 cores to their i7 and i5 lineup).
Ice Lake follows Cannonlake, and will be 10nm processors for the desktop, which will be 15% faster than Cannonlake, which is already 15% faster than kaby lake (2019)

Tiger Lake follows Icelake, icelake comes out in 2019, and tiger lake in 2020, Tiger lake will be 15% faster than Icelake, probably in the same way Kaby Lake is faster than Skylake.

That being said, by the time tiger lake rolls around, we can expect 5ghz to be a boost clock speed in standard 6 core processors from intel, with 30% higher single core performance than Cannonlake, and 45% faster clock per clock speeds to Kaby Lake.

AMD is currently 7% slower than Kaby Lake clock for clock with AMD Ryzen, and plans to compete with Icelake, and Tigerlake with their "Zen 2" and "Zen 3" cores, all of them are going to use the Am4 chipset and platform, unless Zen 3 decides to use upcoming DDR5 ram.

Zen 2 is expected to be 15% faster than Ryzen, and that puts it just ahead of Kaby Lake by 8%, and behind Cannonlake. However, we can expect the larger cache, and new design to be cheaper as has been AMD's motto or guideline, make it equal, and cheaper rather than better and really expensive.

Not much is known about Zen 3 other than it will improve in IPC over Zen 2, and we have no clue as to what size the transistors will be in that CPU, but we know it is planned for 2020.

That's the latest news on these upcoming processors.

If I was going to upgrade and I hated AMD with a passion, you'd bet I'd be eyeing those upcoming Coffee Lake 6 cores, basically a i5-7600K with 2 extra cores, and if the rumors are true, they may not have hyperthreading.

To avoid being off topic, mind if we move this to a private discussion if you want to talk more about it? Message me :)

One thing 10nm does bring that's impossible for 14nm is higher transistor density. The improvements are supposed to be large enough (25-40% IIRC) that 14nm++ shouldn't be as good quite yet, though it might get close.

IMO, Intel seems to be slowing down on all fronts and others (amd, GloFo) are catching up. I'm really interested in how the next few years will play out in the CPU market.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler