Ideas to reuse old PC

I am building myself a New PC, so was wondering what shall I do with my old one

The specs are as follows:

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400
  • Ram: 4GB (DDR2 I guess?)
  • Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 210
  • Power Supply: 230W Generic
  • 160GB HDD
  • Motherboard: Some Asus, but cant confirm. This PC was bought MANY years ago prebuilt from HP.
  • DVD RW 5.25 inch drive

Using this as a Home Server/NAS is pointless, as I am the only user in house. My parents are quite happy with their phones and tablets. They have never used PCs in their life, and do not expect them to any time.

Would love to hear your ideas.

Pfsense router, NAS, Game Server, Voice (Mumble) Server, Web server. Etc.

Plenty you can do

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

set up a LAN for some quake or its open source derivatives. That's all I can think of with the gpu

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 hours ago, EshanKumar said:

I am building myself a New PC, so was wondering what shall I do with my old one

The specs are as follows:

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400
  • Ram: 4GB (DDR2 I guess?)
  • Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 210
  • Power Supply: 230W Generic
  • 160GB HDD
  • Motherboard: Some Asus, but cant confirm. This PC was bought MANY years ago prebuilt from HP.
  • DVD RW 5.25 inch drive

Using this as a Home Server/NAS is pointless, as I am the only user in house. My parents are quite happy with their phones and tablets. They have never used PCs in their life, and do not expect them to any time.

Would love to hear your ideas.

Do what my wife and I did. Set it up as a media server. Pick up a larger hdd in the future for your movies, pictures, and music files. Works awesome to not have that cluttering up my main pc. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

You could use it to play the GodFather in the background... (casey neistat reference (someone please love me)) Or do what Zusafek said. That's what I would use it for.

lot of energy though

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

19 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:

give it to me 

The shipping would cost more than what the PC is worth

Just now, EshanKumar said:

The shipping would cost more than what the PC is worth

teleport it contact kirk

pfSense router!

In case you're wondering which NIC you should use, search for an Intel D33682 dual port lan NIC, this is the one Wendell uses on the video.

I'm bulding one of those as well!

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

if you regularly game you could set it up as a gaming server, so you and your friends can play what ever games you play together.

Router is a possible but you wouldn't get much benefit from it as the router you are using at the moments probably good enough for your usage.

NAS would be a good idea, but with only 1 160GB hard drive you probably won't be able to store much on it, and it would be a waste, if you got two 1TB+ hard drives in it in RAID 1 (cause redundancy is a great thing to have as drives die, especially old ones) you could use it for anything from file storage to a media server, which are great to have.

You could also use the computer for just web browsing to help your new PC, by removing some stuff it needs to process, but again that probably won't be worth it.

If you record and/or stream the games which you play how ever you could use the PC as a recording/streaming PC, with it, so you can do yt/twitch/other stuff. Problem being it's not the best PC, so it may struggle with this (I don't know how demanding this can be) so it may struggle with doing those things

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more