Ryzen "hyperthreading"

So it seems to me that Ryzens nano-fiber technology functions similar to Intel's hyperthreading. Is this statement accurate or inaccurate? and why?

1 hour ago, Doomerson said:

So it seems to me that Ryzens nano-fiber technology functions similar to Intel's hyperthreading. Is this statement accurate or inaccurate? and why?

Its better than hyper threading is just most to none programs support it.

2 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

The principle is the same

2 minutes ago, Xreldo said:

Hyper threading support is not something a program needs to support, the OS needs to support it and windows supports it just fine.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Hyper threading support is not something a program needs to support, the OS needs to support it and windows supports it just fine.

Is this because of APIs?

Just now, The Benjamins said:

well programs kinda do its not that they have to support hyper threading they have to support threading aka splitting their tasks across multiple threads or cores

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

You still need to write a program in such a way that it can utilize more than one core or thread.

Hyperthreading is just intel's brand name for a technology named Simultaneous MultiThreading , or SMT for short . The concept itself dates back to the 1960's.

Ryzen uses SMT , but there is no marketing name attached to it.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

well programs kinda do its not that they have to support hyper threading they have to support threading aka splitting their tasks across multiple threads or cores

ok but that is not what the OP is talking about. and even if you use single threaded programs only hyper threading still helps when you run a lot of them at the same time.

1 minute ago, Sack said:

You still need to write a program in such a way that it can utilize more than one core or thread.

OP is not asking about it being supported but is the ryzen implementation on SMT like intels hyper threading. and yes it is similar and ryzen's is scales better. and programs do not need multi threading support to be able to use a SMT thread, the OS manages what resources the process is using.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

8 minutes ago, Xreldo said:

How is it better than hyperthreading? o.O

1 hour ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

AMDs new magic technology while hyper threading was developed long time ago.

Just now, Hans Christian | Teri said:

well smt give a slightly more performance than hyperthreadeing(but still much worse than ibm's power8), but you could also argue that programs/the scheduler are just worse at using the cpu on ryzen

5 minutes ago, Xreldo said:

AMDs new magic technology while hyper threading was developed long time ago.

When something was developed is hardly relevant to anything.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

well smt give a slightly more performance than hyperthreadeing(but still much worse than ibm's power8), but you could also argue that programs/the scheduler are just worse at using the cpu on ryzen

Now that's a little more detailed. The scheduling issues are going to be a tough problem to overcome, not something you fix from one day to the next.

Chill with the quotes my notifications are flaming.

1 minute ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

Now that's a little more detailed. The scheduling issues are going to be a tough problem to overcome, not something you fix from one day to the next.

Well i probably worded that wrong.

SMT(hyperthreading) improves performances by using the normally unused parts of the pipeline. In a perfect cpu arecture and usage, there would no unused parts and one thread per core, so smt wouldn't help at all. But were not in a perfect world, so most of the cpu is often unused even when its at 100% usage. rzyen seems to benefit more from giving you anouther thread to work with, im guessing due to a more complex pipeline that doesn't want to be used as much. They could give you more threads, but now were in the problem of getting very little extra speed(think about 5-10% more for anouther thread per core. With the small improvement its not normally worth it as you have program and kernel scheduler overhead.

Just now, Xreldo said:

Chill with the quotes my notifications are flaming.

a bowser notifaction shouldn't use to much cpu power. Why is your computer overheating /s

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well i probably worded that wrong.

SMT(hyperthreading) improves performances by using the normally unused parts of the pipeline. In a perfect cpu arecture and usage, there would no unused parts and one thread per core, so smt wouldn't help at all. But were not in a perfect world, so most of the cpu is often unused even when its at 100% usage. rzyen seems to benefit more from giving you anouther thread to work with, im guessing due to a more complex pipeline that doesn't want to be used as much. They could give you more threads, but now were in the problem of getting very little extra speed(think about 5-10% more for anouther thread per core. With the small improvement its not normally worth it as you have program and kernel scheduler overhead.

a bowser notifaction shouldn't use to much cpu power. Why is your computer overheating /s

Aha, as I understood it there was some trouble with scheduling on Windows 8 and 10, guess this may have been misinformation.