If I replace everything except the hard drive can I keep the os

CooperMyers
Go to solution Solved by tp95112,
Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

meh grey market keys, microsoft makes no money, just run it unactivated.

You can reuse the key from the old system.

I can careless if microsoft made money from windows tbh, they shoved it down enough throats already

Basically trying to replace everything except my 2 tb hard drive from a 2013 pc. Does that save me the pain of having to buy an OS?  

1 minute ago, CooperMyers said:

Basically trying to replace everything except my 2 tb hard drive from a 2013 pc. Does that save me the pain of having to buy an OS?  

You can get windows for 35 bucks on Kinguin. But depends on the version of windows you have installed. Oem is locked to the motherboard

Why not just buy windows for $25?

But yeah, in theory, this will work!

Just now, tp95112 said:

You can get windows for 35 bucks on Kinguin. But depends on the version of windows you have installed. Oem is locked to the motherboard

Forgot about that, you need to check that OP!

Just now, tp95112 said:

Just now, TechyAlex said:

Why not just buy windows for $25?

But yeah, in theory, this will work!

I can careless if microsoft made money from windows tbh, they shoved it down enough throats already

If OP kept the key... It could've been prebuilt with windows already on, we don't know.

3 minutes ago, CooperMyers said:

If it's a retail version of Windows, then it should just transfer without a problem. If it's an OEM key (i.e. the system came with Windows installed when you purchased the system), then it will not activate. You can call up Microsoft and say that the old hardware died, they might be able to help you out.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

If OP kept the key... It could've been prebuilt with windows already on, we don't know.

even with prebuilts you still get the key on a sticker on the case.

Prebuilt 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

even with prebuilts you still get the key on a sticker on the case.

Really? That doesn't match my experience. My grandmother bought a computer from best buy with me (she needed a laptop so unfortunately no building for me D:) and there was definitely no key.

13 minutes ago, TechyAlex said:

Really? That doesn't match my experience. My grandmother bought a computer from best buy with me (she needed a laptop so unfortunately no building for me D:) and there was definitely no key.

then its built into the computer, and windows will activate automatically when you install it, no key needed. It just uses the uuid of the hardware.

18 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

if you paying money for a product, you want your money to go to who makes it, not some random person. Its like buying a car someone stole. 

If you don't want to pay for it, just run it unactivated, or crack it.

16 hours ago, CooperMyers said:

You will need to reinstall Windows if you change the mobo. Otherwise I haven't had any issues changing any of my components and I haven't payed for a second license.