What external hard drive would you recommend?

Inferia

I would like to buy an external hard drive, but there are so many to choose from that I don't know which one to choose. So I have turned to the forum for advice on which one to buy. A couple of specs I need are:

• At least 250 GB of storage
  • Built-in cable
  • Affordable (Under $600, I don't know about the pricing of external hard drives these days, do I?)
  • Resistant to dropping (Because I have a tendency to drop things a lot)

I hope the forum helps me a bit...

Best external HDD is an external SSD. 250GB will cost you about $100.

Lacie Rugged HDD's seem to fit your needs. They start at 1TB for roughly 60 USD, but you can get bigger sizes too. As their name suggests, they are at least somewhat resistant to drops and the cable is built in (multiple options for the cable, including 'normal USB', USB Type C and also Thunderbolt in the mini displayport port, if you're into that)

Otherwise SSD's are a good option too. Faster than HDD and with no moving parts inside they can take a drop. You can get a dedicated external one or one meant for inside a PC + SATA to USB cable. The prices are about 60 cents per GB, compared to a HDD's 5-7 cents per GB-ish prices.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

if you want something resistant to dropping get an ssd, they are small high capacity and have no mechanical parts with make them resilient against drops. they also are way faster than any mechanical harddrive.

what connector do you prefer? usb c 3.1 gen 2? esata? (dear i to ask) firewire?

1 minute ago, tlink said:

if you want something resistant to dropping get an ssd, they are small high capacity and have no mechanical parts with make them resilient against drops. they also are way faster than any mechanical harddrive.

what connector do you prefer? usb c 3.1 gen 2? esata? (dear i to ask) firewire?

Hmm.. I prefer USB 3.0...

If it's for backups, I'd go HDD since SSDs to wear out over time. If it's for something you access frequently, an SSD wouldn't hurt for the speed.

I use a lacie rugged 1tb external. Its very durable and super fast. It is formated for mac but you can change it.

Just buy a regular hdd and an external enclosure 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

You can buy a decent hard drive (1TB-2TB) for about $66, which is pretty cheap compared to other drives. WD also has a 1 terabyte hard drive which is about $45 and that's 7200 RPM. So it's a decent price.

-$66 Seagate Barracuda Hard drive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IEKG402/ref=twister_B01MFAITZ1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

-$50 WD Hard drive https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cache-Desktop-Drive-WD10EZEX/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1492123637&sr=1-3&keywords=hard+drives

If money is not a problem or you can afford an extra 100+ dollars i reccomend getting some sata cables and a 250 gig SSD or like a samsung, or intel(which is on the pricier side!!!!)

Hope this helps

-The King