How good are Ryzen CPUs for virtual machines?

5 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I'm going to try it out, i just need to uninstall VMware Workstation before I do.

with HyperV can you try RemoteFX 3D and run a game with it on and with it off want to know how well it works. it is suppose to pass though directX and give a portion of vram for it with out passing the whole GPU. I run 4 VM's off a xeon D-1541 (8/16 2.1/2.7Ghz) on my server.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I've been trying to find some data on how Ryzen performs with simple virtualization (virtual box, VMWare and Hyper-V) and I'm glad you've been able to provide such info, it's very helpful :D

I've been planning to get a decent Ryzen build to run a Lap VM network for learning purposes, and while my current system is pretty decent for small test scenarios I'd like to have the potential to run more than 3 VM's at once on them efficiently.

I would like to note that it would be ideal to make sure under the Virtualbox VM settings to check your Storage setting of your virtual disk and make sure it's set to 'Solid-state Drive' (I am unsure where but I'm sure there is some way to denote a drive is in SSD or Flash storage in VMWare as well). I didn't see anything in the thread that mentioned if this was done or not.

Also, I'm wondering if you enable IOMMU can you pass through the GPU to your virtualbox/VMware Windows VM's? While I don't anticipate doing anything graphical on a VM I am moreso curious if this is possible and it's just Ryzen and Linux kernals not mixing well atm with IOMMU.

On 4/14/2017 at 9:12 AM, KuJoe said:

Both VMware Workstation and VirtualBox have the option to setup "shared folders" which are folders on the host that are attached to the VMs so you can access them like a local drive.

Shared in the sense the vm can access and write to them, while the host reads and writes to them at the same time? Cause hyper-v doesn't have an option for it. Or does it? Furthermore, what do you recommend for Windows for an always on background vpn based downloading server? While I want to game on the host system.

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2017 at 7:22 PM, mrzoltowski said:

So when you say virtualisation, what do you mean, Intel's VT-x and VT-d are more feature rich than AMD-V and AMDs IOMMU support, if you are just running something like VirtualBox you shouldn't have issues, if you are running a Xen/HypV/ESX cluster then you do.

VM's love more cores/threads, and Ryzen 5 1600 has 6.  So if you are just looking for simple VM's than it should suffice.

hello I need some help and refering to the linus 2 gamers one cpu video i wannna recreate that but with the amd 1700 and the asus prime x370 pro. May i know if its supported?

On 4/13/2017 at 7:29 PM, KuJoe said:

Is there anything specific you want me to test on my Ryzen 7 1700? I've got both VirtualBox and VMware Player installed.

hello is it okay if you help me test how the 1700 holds up in an unraid with 2 vms running because i want to build a computer which both me  and my dad can use at the same time.

2 hours ago, Jinyuous said:

hello I need some help and refering to the linus 2 gamers one cpu video i wannna recreate that but with the amd 1700 and the asus prime x370 pro. May i know if its supported?

This appears to be quite an old thread, it would make more sense in future to start your own with your question.

There are issues with the IOMMU grouping with Ryzen X370 systems, it requires workarounds and isn't the prettiest, and it will not work with B350 boards.

https://level1techs.com/video/ryzen-iommu-pcie-passthrough-works

4 hours ago, Jinyuous said:

hello is it okay if you help me test how the 1700 holds up in an unraid with 2 vms running because i want to build a computer which both me  and my dad can use at the same time.

Unfortunately I don't want to install a new OS so I'm limited to testing with only things that will install on Windows 10 Pro. Sorry.

-KuJoe

On 14.04.2017 at 3:31 PM, Solocamper said:

I guess I will go for vmware. But my question is, is there a way to share a drive that is hooked up to the host machine to the guest virtual machine. But that drive still needs to be a part of the main machine.   If that makes any sense.

VirtualBox has something called Guest Additions - if you install it you can share a folder between host and VM. In a host this folder would look like any other folder. On a VM it would appear as a network drive automatically mounted. To enable this you need to setup in settings of this VM a shared folder, and then boot a VM, when in opened VM window you need to click in menu on top "devices" -> "Mount Guest Additions" (I translate from Polish, but it should be fairly accurate) and it would look to VM as if you inserted a dvd with drivers to install. Works flawlessly for my Win7 pro host and win 2012 r2 vm. Worked also on win10 pro host.

On 4/14/2017 at 8:06 AM, The Benjamins said:

I wounder how HyperV compares, sucks you had issues running that one.

I'm running Hyper-V using W10 Pro as the host OS on a new Ryzen 1800x build. 64gb of ram, SSD for the host os & VM storage. My system manages 80 surveillance cameras and stores the video. To accomplish this, I have added the physical 7200 RPM 6tb drives and use network shares on each of them, sharing them to the VM's using a dedicated internal virtual switch. I then dedicate non-host lan access to each VM to access the cameras that VM is responsible for. Same workload had been running on two FX-8350 boxes before I upgraded.

Beware motherboard issues. Mine was a bear to get working. Washing able to use the chip-set RAID controller with large drives, even with the "patch" provided by the motherboard manufacturer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2017 at 8:25 AM, DrMikeNZ said:

This appears to be quite an old thread, it would make more sense in future to start your own with your question.

There are issues with the IOMMU grouping with Ryzen X370 systems, it requires workarounds and isn't the prettiest, and it will not work with B350 boards.

https://level1techs.com/video/ryzen-iommu-pcie-passthrough-works

Just as an update to the people following this thread in general: things have improved with the latest BIOS, it seems ;)

Spoiler

• 7 months later...

i already own a ryzen PC, 1700x / 32GB RAM / 512 NVME 960 Pro, and my experiance with it is pretty good but at certain point, im actually running around 10 - 12 VM's windows 7 OS, and windows 10 Pro as a host OS, i'm using VMware workstation V14
VM: 1.5 GB RAM, 2vCPU, 40GB storage
starting the 13th VM i get my RAM fully saturated, at this state you can browse the web or do some Photoshop work or excel heavy calculation, but once i run a game it start staturing, and also not forget that all VMs are excuting some automated taskes ( firefox browse and some other lite background taskes).

with 10 Vms all running and doing their taskes i can feel them slow down a bit, i check the task manger and all 16 threads are full 100% working with some drop to 85%, i can't play PES 2018 smoothly like usealy (GTX 1060), and inside Vms i feel a slowdown mouse mouvment and slow Firefox tabs loading.
in over it's a huge improuvment from my previous i5 6600K that can berly handle 6 VMs at full load, so i'm thinking to get a new threadripper build to setp up my virtual envirenment and enjoy some games at same time

• 11 months later...
On 2/25/2018 at 7:54 AM, tokochi said:

i already own a ryzen PC, 1700x / 32GB RAM / 512 NVME 960 Pro, and my experiance with it is pretty good but at certain point, im actually running around 10 - 12 VM's windows 7 OS, and windows 10 Pro as a host OS, i'm using VMware workstation V14
VM: 1.5 GB RAM, 2vCPU, 40GB storage
starting the 13th VM i get my RAM fully saturated, at this state you can browse the web or do some Photoshop work or excel heavy calculation, but once i run a game it start staturing, and also not forget that all VMs are excuting some automated taskes ( firefox browse and some other lite background taskes).

with 10 Vms all running and doing their taskes i can feel them slow down a bit, i check the task manger and all 16 threads are full 100% working with some drop to 85%, i can't play PES 2018 smoothly like usealy (GTX 1060), and inside Vms i feel a slowdown mouse mouvment and slow Firefox tabs loading.
in over it's a huge improuvment from my previous i5 6600K that can berly handle 6 VMs at full load, so i'm thinking to get a new threadripper build to setp up my virtual envirenment and enjoy some games at same time

Wow! That's exactly the kind of stuff I want to do also, I run AutoIT and AutoHotkeyz on virtual machines doing automation, mostly browser based, like you.

Now I have an i5-8400 with 16 gigs of Ram, do you think I'll see a big difference changing to Ryzen 1700x or 2700x?

Or maybe the intel stronger single core performance and instructions per second match the Ryzen? I mean it's only 2 core more?

I know that cores make a huge difference on my VM, but not sure about threads? 

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2017 at 4:29 AM, KuJoe said:

Is there anything specific you want me to test on my Ryzen 7 1700? I've got both VirtualBox and VMware Player installed.

I was wondering how many virtual machines can you run with all of them downloading files from google drive. And another case where all of them are streaming videos. Thank you.

I have had a number of problems with my Ryzen 2600X I have been trying Virtual Box and installing Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Desktop Experience Evalution for a class.

I have also been receiving multiple BSOD's crashes and Freezes I have tried a number of different Configurations, I also ran the Hyper V Compatibility tool to check I had all the correct BIOS Settings and it came up all OK.

I tried disabling SMT, AMD's hyperthreading both on and off no difference, However I did notice it did seem to perform better( Still crashed eventually though) on One CPU with 4GB of ram selected I got more BSOD's when I had 2 or 4 CPUS set.

When I had both a Domain Controller and my SQL Server on separate VM's running it would take maybe 1 min and atleast one of the VM's would Crash, and before anyone asks is it because I had too many system resources assigned I didn't, I have 16GB of RAM, and was careful not to over assign ram or CPU my exact specs are

2600X Ryzen CPU Gigabyte X470 Ultra Motherboard, Trident Z 3200 mhz CL14 RAM, Vega 64 Graphics card SSD and HDD, I am running the latest windows build I think its 1809, maybe I should see if 1903 is available? Actually it might actually be 1903 if it is out, I know I have the latest I am pretty sure I had to download from Microsofts website. (I will check tonight)

I also have the latest Virtual Box installed latest Graphics drivers, and my BIOS Revision is F3 from memory. When I get back home I can check these details. I had all the default settings selected so had all the performance settings AMD vt etc all turned on.

Who can help me with this problem I really need to run a Virtual Machine for my class I need to run 3 actually in total on the one machine and its no where near stable enough. Should I try Hyper V or VMWare instead of Virtual Box? Or should i sell my AMD Motherboard and CPU and buy a Intel Board and CPU?

Also I am seriously considering selling my Ryzen for a Intel based system as I need this for my class will AMD look at there AMD V compatibility and optimise this as i think it may be broken. I thought the 6cores and Ryzen would be good enough but it clearly is not well optimised at all, at the very least on Virtual Box I never had this trouble on my i5, has anybody had a good experience with Virtualisation and Ryzen? and if so which did you use, or what settings and BIOS setup did you get Virtual Box to work with ?as I have nearly given up I can post more details back tonight if that would help?

Please someone help!?

Regards

DunX

• 4 months later...

In some antivirus softwares, there is virtualisation fonctionnality. disable it and it should work. I searched for hours searching to fix it, I had SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bsod, checked everything in bios, did a lot of tricks. I uninstalled Avast and it worked, but you can also disable virtualisation in avast. Also disable completely HYPER-V fonctionnality by going to Add Remove Programs the Add Remove Windows Functionnalities.

• 1 year later...

I have been advised to start a new thread for better response however i just decided to ask here.

I just upgraded to Ryzen 5600x and TUF x570 mobo

When i start VMWare Pro and initialise a virtual machine .. i immediately get BSOD. I have enabled virtualisation in the bios and disabled Hyper-V

As far as AV goes i have ESET NOD32 installed and for the life of me i couldn't find any options for virtualisation.

Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I just used WhoCrashed to get this report:

On Sun 17-01-2021 17:23:09 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\011721-185468-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F5780)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8053D1FCB52, 0xFFFF9980CB03F920, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 17-01-2021 17:23:09 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x8299)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8053D1FCB52, 0xFFFF9980CB03F920, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 17-01-2021 17:08:38 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\011721-222609-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F5780)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8016A3FCB52, 0xFFFF91812FC99920, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System

On Wed 06-01-2021 12:44:08 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\PoW32kWatchdog-20210106-1244.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!IoUnregisterShutdownNotification+0xF84)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A1 (0xFFFF8786B0F85240, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR