RMA'd my 980ti Matrix Platinum (UPDATED WITH PICTURES)

xGUMMYx

I had a problem with one fan not working. So I shipped it out last Wednesday. Yesterday I received  an email "ASUS RMA Shipping Notification" with a description (below) for a strix 1080. So it seems they just decided to send me that as a replacement. What makes me so mad though. They just decided to straight up ship me a replacement without my approval. I then contacted support and they said this to me. "Our technicians would normally reach out to the customers with the replacement offer this is not an occurrence that is known or heard of in our company." The person also gave me a number to call, and said I should request to be transferred to level 2.

To be completely honest I do not what that vanilla as f*** 1080 at all. Last summer is when actually chose to buy the 980ti Matrix. I did a lot of research on both and actually chose it over the strix 1080. To top it off the  price just went down between $400 and $500  for the strix. That alone makes me already feel like I'm not getting a worthy replacement. Considering that 980ti cost me over $700.  I really feel like I should push them for that new strix 1080ti. A ti for a ti am I right? I just know my 980ti would easily out perform that 1080 without breaking a sweat. What do you guys  think am I just crazy or should I call them up and fight till my very last breath over it.

(This ain't just your typical 980ti it's a mother f****** MATRIX!)

Customer

Repair Center  ASUS/ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Shipping Carrier  FedEx Home Delivery
Tracking#  786217745982
Product Type  Card

PRODUCT INFORMATION
SERIAL_NO PRODUCT_TYPE PART_NO PRODUCT_DESC MODEL PROBLEM
G4YVCMKK002J Card 90YV09M0-M0NA00 STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING GTX1080/CG413P User OS:Windows 10

Is there internal/external damage on your product?No

If yes, please describe.

[Other]

Case Number:WTM20170218093438284

Brief Description: One fan has stopped spinning.

980ti and 1080 performance are about equal (EDIT: 1080 is more powerful).

I think you've got a good deal there tbh.

Your 980ti is no longer worth $700 so why should they replace it with something that is worth $700?

I'm not sure you're 980ti would shit all over that 1080 either.

17 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

980ti and 1080 performance are about equal.

Your 980ti is no longer worth $700 so why should they replace it with something that is worth $700?

huh? the gtx 1080 blows the 980ti out of the water, it's the gtx 1070 that's about equal. agree about the 3rd sentence though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

15 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

980ti and 1080 performance are about equal.

Its not about the performance or "worthiness" of these cards. Its about the name and the card itself, Matrix Platinum cards are expensive and they're at the same level as king pin cards. Overbuilt and meant to be pushed. 

Its the same as RMA'ing a Kingpin 980 Ti and getting a plain ol 1080 back. 

26 minutes ago, xGUMMYx said:

I'd be pissed. Though, your 980 Ti wouldn't "shit" all over the 1080. 

I don't RMA my cards for fan issues though. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

Its not about the performance or "worthiness" of these cards. Its about the name and the card itself, Matrix Platinum cards are expensive and they're at the same level as king pin cards. Overbuilt and meant to be pushed. 

Since it's not Aesthetics for me, I'd be happier with the 1080. The 980 ti Platinum barely beats the gtx 1070. At the same time, if I RMA'd it, I'd say "Replace/fix the card or give me $700 credit and I will ship the 1080 back." Kinda crazy over a fan though, as I don't understand why they wouldn't just fix/replace it.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

1 hour ago, Pohernori said:

Yes it is...

You're getting back a card of greater or at least equal value, which performs better.

I'm struggling to understand the problem.

Why does the calibre of the card matter if the value and/or performance is equal, or even better in this case.

1 hour ago, herman mcpootis said:

huh? the gtx 1080 blows the 980ti out of the water, it's the gtx 1070 that's about equal. agree about the 3rd sentence though.

True, didn't realise that until after I posted.

My point still stands though, he got a good deal :P

31 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

Yes it is...

You're getting back a card of greater or at least equal value, which performs better.

Why does the calibre of the card matter if the value and/or performance is equal, or even better in this case.

Of course you wouldn't understand the problem here. If you're one to only value the card based on its performance then you wouldn't understand why one can be upset. 

A card like the 980 Ti Matrix Platinum is a pretty limited edition run. As also already said by OP. OP values the card not because of its performance but because it is a Matrix Platinum as specified here: 

2 hours ago, xGUMMYx said:

If OP only wants the 980 Ti just for its performance, you think OP would buy a Matrix Platinum? 

Unless OP was somehow misinformed that the 980 Ti could magically outperform a 1080 just because its a Matrix Platinum. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

46 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

Yes it is...

I get the strix 1080 is all around better by default, but that 980ti Matrix was a premium card. The features and capabilities it has are far greater than the strix 1080. I won't be able to push the 1080 like I could with the 980ti. I guess the biggest issue I have with all this is. The fact that they just sent me the 1080 out of no where. I wasn't notified about the card being replaced with a completely different one.  I honesty would have declined it and asked them to send back the 980ti. Which I have no idea if that's even possible now. especially considering it was just a problem with a fan. I don't see why they couldn't have just fixed instead.

Just now, Pohernori said:

Of course you wouldn't understand the problem here. If you're one to only value the card based on its performance then you wouldn't understand why one can be upset. 

A card like the 980 Ti Matrix Platinum is a pretty limited edition run. As also already said by OP. OP values the card not because of its performance but because it is a Matrix Platinum as specified here: 

If OP only wants the 980 Ti just for its performance, you think OP would buy a Matrix Platinum? 

Unless OP was somehow misinformed that the 980 Ti could magically outperform a 1080 just because its a Matrix Platinum. 

2 hours ago, xGUMMYx said:

I just know my 980ti would easily out perform that 1080 without breaking a sweat.

Yes, seems he was

1 minute ago, xGUMMYx said:

The features and capabilities it has are far greater than the strix 1080.

Such as?...

1 minute ago, xGUMMYx said:

The fact that they just sent me the 1080 out of no where. I wasn't notified about the card being replaced with a completely different one.

This, I understand being pissed about

Just now, rhyseyness said:

Yes, seems he was

guess not 

᷅\_(ヅ)_/ ᷄ 

4 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

Such as?...

This, I understand being pissed about

Like safe mode for one. I really enjoyed having that peace of mind. Especially when an overclock went wrong.

You're right about the performance though. I may have over exaggerated about that.

54 minutes ago, xGUMMYx said:

Like safe mode for one. I really enjoyed having that peace of mind. Especially when an overclock went wrong.

You're right about the performance though. I may have over exaggerated about that.

Fair enough :)

Can't argue with that.

Personally don't care for safe mode and would be happy with the replacement, but I 100% agree they should have confirmed with you that this was ok before they did it.

It's a good deal. The Matrix is a beast (I owned two myself), but the best 980Ti isn't as good as even a founders 1080. You got a good deal, and I'm sure there's something about their TOS for RMA that allows them to do this sort of replacement, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

I'm pretty sure it  shorted out or something like that. They must have sent me a poorly serviced 1080.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:12 AM, rhyseyness said:

980ti and 1080 performance are about equal (EDIT: 1080 is more powerful).

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:31 AM, herman mcpootis said:

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:34 AM, Pohernori said:

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:40 AM, crzyces said:

Since it's not Aesthetics for me, I'd be happier with the 1080. The 980 ti Platinum barely beats the gtx 1070. At the same time, if I RMA'd it, I'd say "Replace/fix the card or give me $700 credit and I will ship the 1080 back." Kinda crazy over a fan though, as I don't understand why they wouldn't just fix/replace it.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:19 AM, Remixt said:

It's a good deal. The Matrix is a beast (I owned two myself), but the best 980Ti isn't as good as even a founders 1080. You got a good deal, and I'm sure there's something about their TOS for RMA that allows them to do this sort of replacement, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

The Q code I'm given is 62 with white vga led on. It then eventually changes to A2 switching to red led on.   

Okay so I received the replacement 1080 today. Installed it and updated whatever needed to be. Decided to go into some over watch and some other games. To check out the card right. Well about 2-3 hours in while playing PUBG. My pc stuttered for a couple seconds and froze. Shortly after both monitors went black, but were still on. I then turned off my pc and back on. With the rgb lighting that the card has working just fine. I can not get any signal for both monitors. I then go ahead and clear cmos and reboot. Every thing boots up fine however both monitors just permanently stay black and eventually go into sleep mode. So, I try each monitor separately and still the same issue. I've also tried booting off safe mode, and have reseated the card in different slots as well. As last resort I decide to just remove the card completely, and check to see if I can still run of my integrated graphics. Guess what... It boots as should with no issues. The GPU is completely useless now it will not work at all. After using it for only 2-3 hours.

I decided to actually inspect the card itself, and I notice clear as day. The thermal paste just chilling there between the chip and heat spreader. I have no idea if it's suppose to look like that, but it does not look normal to me at all. There seems to be an excessive amount and appears to be clumpy and dried out.

P.S. I still never heard anything about my 980ti matrix and why they couldn't repair. I have no idea what happened to it or why they replaced it with out my permission.

cleardot.gif

P_20170414_154424_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20170414_153957_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20170414_154415_vHDR_Auto.jpg

You can't see the die because the past is covering it most likely.

You got a screaming deal FYI. You can't expect them to hold on to old cards for RMA, you got a way better card. Be happy. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

You can't see the die because the past is covering it most likely.

You got a screaming deal FYI. You can't expect them to hold on to old cards for RMA, you got a way better card. Be happy. 

The fact they never gave me the reason why they couldn't repair my 980ti. That's what I'm mostly upset about.

I also have no idea what you mean by "die"

13 minutes ago, xGUMMYx said:

I also have no idea what you mean by "die"

The "die" is the bare GPU chip itself that's underneath the thermal paste. That's about normal...maybe a bit much in my opinion, but GPU makers tend to go full nuts on the thermal paste.

Yeah, also curious what they couldn't fix on your old 980 Ti. At least tell you what was wrong with it...

I found out what the stuff on my screen was when it froze. when it froze I saw all over my second monitor what is called "artefacts"

that is just terrible especially as a replacement

I sure got a good deal alright.      

On 13/04/2017 at 9:14 AM, rhyseyness said:

Yes it is...

If I RMA'd my Titan X and got a 1080 I would be upset, at least a 1080ti, both 980ti of such quality and Titan X can reach the 1080 (stock at least) any ways so not much of an upgrade :P

The thing is, even though the processor is newer and better the card as a whole is in a totally different league when comes down to build quality, silicon gold and so on... I think that while the 1080 is fine he does have the right to dislike it... blames on nvidia making new gens every year though [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

On 4/13/2017 at 6:05 AM, xGUMMYx said:

I had a problem with one fan not working. So I shipped it out last Wednesday. Yesterday I received  an email "ASUS RMA Shipping Notification" with a description (below) for a strix 1080. So it seems they just decided to send me that as a replacement. What makes me so mad though. They just decided to straight up ship me a replacement without my approval. I then contacted support and they said this to me. "Our technicians would normally reach out to the customers with the replacement offer this is not an occurrence that is known or heard of in our company." The person also gave me a number to call, and said I should request to be transferred to level 2.

To be completely honest I do not what that vanilla as f*** 1080 at all. Last summer is when actually chose to buy the 980ti Matrix. I did a lot of research on both and actually chose it over the strix 1080. To top it off the  price just went down between $400 and $500  for the strix. That alone makes me already feel like I'm not getting a worthy replacement. Considering that 980ti cost me over $700.  I really feel like I should push them for that new strix 1080ti. A ti for a ti am I right? I just know my 980ti would easily out perform that 1080 without breaking a sweat. What do you guys  think am I just crazy or should I call them up and fight till my very last breath over it.

Customer

Repair Center  ASUS/ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Shipping Carrier  FedEx Home Delivery
Tracking#  786217745982
Product Type  Card

PRODUCT INFORMATION
SERIAL_NO PRODUCT_TYPE PART_NO PRODUCT_DESC MODEL PROBLEM
G4YVCMKK002J Card 90YV09M0-M0NA00 STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING GTX1080/CG413P User OS:Windows 10

Is there internal/external damage on your product?No

If yes, please describe.

[Other]

Case Number:WTM20170218093438284

Brief Description: One fan has stopped spinning.

Stop complaining OP they replaced a gpu thats now worth under 400 for a gpu thats still worth 530 new that destroys it in performance. Dont question it when you come out ahead just thank your lucky star you lucked out.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

44 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Stop complaining OP they replaced a gpu thats now worth under 400 for a gpu thats still worth 530 new that destroys it in performance. Dont question it when you come out ahead just thank your lucky star you lucked out.

Show me a 980ti matrix platinum for $400. (good luck)

Also they didn't replace it with a new 1080. So everything you just said was completely out of line.

No offense

33 minutes ago, xGUMMYx said:

No offense

Not to mention like already stated a very well overclocked 980ti Matrix is on pair with the 1080 in performance, it might consume more power but say the 1080 destroys it is simply showing lack of knowledge about the subject.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)