Is the Wan show on this weekend? Given easter?

Walms
Go to solution Solved by Dredgy,

They have never missed a WAN show since its inception. On a public holiday, they do occasionally release it the Thursday night instead of Friday. Or just Linus and look show up to do the stream and then go home. I have a recollection Linus doing the stream by himself once because he didn't want to bringing Luke into work, but not sure how accurate that is.

Anyone know if there will be a WAN show? I know here in NZ you're not allowed to work on Good Friday not sure how it works in Canada.

It still is planned, in the forum calendar. Also, I'm sure you are allowed to work on Good Friday. Or are all police officers, doctors and fire fighters free that day too?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yeah essential services are allowed. Basically you just have to argue people need your services. Gas stations for example can open but a retail store can't. Some businesses open anyway but they get hit with a big fine. It's a weird law. 

so they really force religion down your throat over there huh

Just now, | Rembo | said:

so they really force religion down your throat over there huh

Nah, even though it's a religious holiday the law comes from the labour unions. Years ago there were strong unions and they wanted days where no one had to work. Christmas and Good Friday are the only days left. NZ is very secular but historically Christian. 

3 minutes ago, Walms said:

Nah, even though it's a religious holiday the law comes from the labour unions. Years ago there were strong unions and they wanted days where no one had to work. Christmas and Good Friday are the only days left. NZ is very secular but historically Christian. 

oow ok but still i find it weird to give people a fine for working tho, i mean i get it that they want to stop people from being forced to work on holiday (like i see that happens in the US0 but i feel like they go a bit too far giving people fines

I'm allowed to work on Good Friday but I'd get paid 2.5 times my normal pay so my employer would rather I just stay home and get paid my normal salary.

-KuJoe

3 minutes ago, | Rembo | said:

oow ok but still i find it weird to give people a fine for working tho, i mean i get it that they want to stop people from being forced to work on holiday (like i see that happens in the US0 but i feel like they go a bit too far giving people fines

Just the business gets the fine for getting staff to work that day. The workers don't get a fine. But yeah it's odd. 

1 hour ago, Walms said:

Yeah essential services are allowed. Basically you just have to argue people need your services. Gas stations for example can open but a retail store can't. Some businesses open anyway but they get hit with a big fine. It's a weird law. 

https://employment.govt.nz/leave-and-holidays/public-holidays/

"Employees get a paid day off on a public holiday if it’s a day they would have normally worked on. If they work on that public holiday they’re paid time and a half and get an alternative day off.."

Learn your own nation's labour laws. :/

53 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

"Employees get a paid day off on a public holiday if it’s a day they would have normally worked on. If they work on that public holiday they’re paid time and a half and get an alternative day off.."

Sounds like Canadian law :P

@Walms So employment laws vary per province, but they're fairly consistent except in the minor details. Linus will totally be able to work on Friday if he wants. He will have to pay any of his hourly employees time and a half though.

If they are on Salary, then the rules are often different (They are here in Ontario at least), with the option of giving "lieu days" in exchange for working holidays. So if you work a holiday, you just get a regular day off in exchange.

I assume that Linus will have reduced staff working, with many people getting the day off. He might still do the live stream, but I doubt there will be many employees around when it's happening.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Sounds like Canadian law :P

@Walms So employment laws vary per province, but they're fairly consistent except in the minor details. Linus will totally be able to work on Friday if he wants. He will have to pay any of his hourly employees time and a half though.

If they are on Salary, then the rules are often different (They are here in Ontario at least), with the option of giving "lieu days" in exchange for working holidays. So if you work a holiday, you just get a regular day off in exchange.

I assume that Linus will have reduced staff working, with many people getting the day off. He might still do the live stream, but I doubt there will be many employees around when it's happening.

I'm unsure of the exact terms in bc, but in Ontario it'd be 1.5x plus a deferred holiday or holiday pay on top of that work at 1.5x.  At least at the minimum set by the labor code.  Obviously workplaces can exceed the minimum, particularly with unionized staff.

They have never missed a WAN show since its inception. On a public holiday, they do occasionally release it the Thursday night instead of Friday. Or just Linus and look show up to do the stream and then go home. I have a recollection Linus doing the stream by himself once because he didn't want to bringing Luke into work, but not sure how accurate that is.

4 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

inb4 prerecorded and inb4 people screaming "pre recorded" in the live chat too xD

I see them doing this yeah

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

From the link you provided. 

"There are three and a half days each year when almost all shops are required to be closed. Exceptions are shops which can open with conditions, have area exemptions or Easter Sunday local policies."

2 minutes ago, Walms said:

From the link you provided. 

"There are three and a half days each year when almost all shops are required to be closed. Exceptions are shops which can open with conditions, have area exemptions or Easter Sunday local policies."

Only applies to certain retailers.   Still wouldn't include an office like LTT if it were in NZ.

Definitions here:

https://employment.govt.nz/leave-and-holidays/public-holidays/restricted-shop-trading-days/##shop

9 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Only applies to certain retailers.   Still wouldn't include an office like LTT if it were in NZ.

Definitions here:

https://employment.govt.nz/leave-and-holidays/public-holidays/restricted-shop-trading-days/##shop

Yeah you are very correct. TIL. I'd assumed that given everything was shut and you hear stories of fines, the law was for more than retail. 

It's way more complex than I thought.  It turns out each council has by laws governing trade on the Sunday. http://m.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11836322

Given we're such a small country that's madness. 

But then from from that link you sent there is this "Even though the shop can’t open, the Easter Sunday employer and employee rights and responsibilities still apply. Because she wants them to work on Easter Sunday, Joyce must notify the employees of their right to refuse to work at least four weeks (and no earlier than eight weeks) before Easter Sunday. She can’t compel the employees to work or treat them adversely if they refuse. If they want to refuse to work, the employees need to notify Joyce no later than 14 days after they get their notices from her."

That's even weirder.  So if you're a shop you can't trade and you're employees can refuse to work on non trading activities. You're right I don't know my countries employment law at all.