Do cables affect FPS?

WhoSketchy

Does using different cables such as HDMI, DVA-D, VGA etc. affect the amount of frames I will get in games...?

4 minutes ago, WhoSketchy said:

Does using different cables such as HDMI, DVA-D, VGA etc. affect the amount of frames I will get in games...?

No they do not

Will main only affect resolution, and picture quality (colour, blurring). If you've ever tried displaying 1080P via VGA, you'll see the image is blurred a bit in certain areas.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

It will not affect how many FPS your hardware can achieve, but it can affect how many FPS is actually sent to the monitor to display. Higher resolution or higher Hz monitors may only support the maximum refresh rate when using a certain cable type (such as DP)

13 minutes ago, WhoSketchy said:

Yes, they can - different cable types (HDMI vs DP for example) have different maximum bandwidths, based on the display protocol and protocol version.

Up to 60Hz (60 FPS) they are all pretty much inter-changable, but for example older HDMI cannot do 144Hz - you need the newer standards to support that.

Technically its not just a cable issue - its the end-2-end protocol specification.

1 minute ago, Rohime said:

Yes, they can - different cable types (HDMI vs DP for example) have different maximum bandwidths, based on the display protocol and protocol version.

Up to 60Hz (60 FPS) they are all pretty much inter-changable, but for example older HDMI cannot do 144Hz - you need the newer standards to support that.

Technically its not just a cable issue - its the end-2-end protocol specification.

The fps he gets in game will remain the same regardless of what cable he uses.

The fps he sees on screen (aka Hz) is what will change.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No but can effect Hz, keep in mind that if you want to go high refresh rate you need DisplayPort or dual link DVI

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The fps he gets in game will remain the same regardless of what cable he uses.

The fps he sees on screen (aka Hz) is what will change.

Yes, that's true - but given the question was about CABLES i rather think the OP meant "can the number of Frames per Second that are actually drawn onto my screen be different depending on the type of cable?".   The Answer is definitely "YES".

If the OP really meant "Does the FPS counter calculated mathematically inside my PC change based on the cable connecting it to the outside world" then the answer is probably "NO".    I dont think thats what the OP wanted to know (given the question).

This will help you 

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x
CPU Cooler- Artic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm
GPU-  EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC ULTRA
RAM- CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB 3200Mhz 
PSU- Cooler Master MasterWatt 650 Watt
HDD- WD Blue 4TB
SSD- SanDisk Ultra II 500GB SATA III
Case- Custom Made Desk
Motherboard- ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming

Microphone- Blue Snowball Ice
Headphones- Razer Nari Ultimate
Webcam- Logitech c270
Monitors- MSI Optix MAG24C and Acer KA240HQ Abid
Mouse- Corsair Nightsword RGB
Keyboard- Corsair K95 RGB Platinum MX Speed

16 minutes ago, DevilsHand676 said:

This will help you 

Not really - that video is about cable LENGTH not cable TYPE.

Sorry for the confusion...! But as previously seen this was what I was asking about: "but it can affect how many FPS is actually sent to the monitor to display"

I was wondering if cables affect how many screens I will receive on my monitor.

I bought a cheap - dvi-d to hdmi cable and compared to my vga to dvi-d it lost some frames, don't know if this was just a random occurrence. (could just be talking nonsense...)  

10 hours ago, WhoSketchy said:

Sorry for the confusion...! But as previously seen this was what I was asking about: "but it can affect how many FPS is actually sent to the monitor to display"

I was wondering if cables affect how many screens I will receive on my monitor.

I bought a cheap - dvi-d to hdmi cable and compared to my vga to dvi-d it lost some frames, don't know if this was just a random occurrence. (could just be talking nonsense...)  

HDMI (especially older versions of HDMI) are a pretty poor choice of cable for Gaming Graphics.   The HDMI standard was limited to 60Hz (60 FPS) for a long time at decent resolutions.   Its only the most recent versions of HDMI to do both good resolution and decent refresh rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_comparison 

This is why native display port was the connector or choice for gaming graphics (at least, was ... HDMI is trying to catch up).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Resolution_and_refresh_frequency_limits_for_DisplayPort