Newb's Questions

Bill_Ong

Hey there!

I had spent years diving in IT infos, but absolutely new to PC building. I just built my first ever PC at a local PC hardware store, was fun honestly.

In case you're curious about my PC specifications, here are they:

MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 (Kaby Lake)

GPU: ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX1080 Ti O11G

CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 Self-contained Liquid Cooler

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz 16GB (8GBx2)

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB

PSU: Corsair RM650x Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU

Case: NZXT H440+ White

Monitor: Dell U2414H 23.8" 8ms 60Hz

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

Mouse Mat: Razer Goliathus Speed (Large)

Headset: Bose QuietComfort 15

I'll be using my PC mainly for video editing and gaming, as I set my target to further my studies abroad.

So, here are my questions:

1. I'm planning to make my PC fully "RGBed", which kit would you suggest? Magnetic or double-sided tape???

2. If I'm going to upgrade it, what should be upgraded first?

3. Should I invest more in SSD? Will I have to format and reinstall everything if I'm going to swap it? (SSD used for boot drive currently)

4. *OFF TOPIC* What is RAID and how does it works?

5. *OFF TOPIC* What are the difference(s) between SSDs? What is the best type of SSD? Can you rank them performance wise, please?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_4836.JPG

1. Get magnetic if your case is magnetic-compatible.

2. Monitor, cooler, and storage, not necessarily in that order.

3. Unless you need more SSD space, no. This goes along with question #2.

4. Don't know that much about RAID either, but Linus has a Fast as Possible on it.

5. Only listing modern SSDs, from slowest to fastest (top to bottom), although I'm not 100% sure about this, either:

• SATA
  • M.2 (usually the same as SATA, unless it's NVMe rated)
  • NVMe
  • PCIe

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:
  • M.2 (usually the same as SATA, unless it's NVMe rated)
  • NVMe

M.2 is the form factor, where as NVMe is the transfer protocol. So an M.2 SSD can be an NVMe SSD at the same time.

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

9 minutes ago, Bill_Ong said:

1. I'm planning to make my PC fully "RGBed", which kit would you suggest? Magnetic or double-sided tape???

if it doesnt do purple it means youre not cool enough. silicone sealant fixes everything

10 minutes ago, Bill_Ong said:

go team red!

3. Should I invest more in SSD? Will I have to format and reinstall everything if I'm going to swap it? (SSD used for boot drive currently)

na. invest in backup drivesies

11 minutes ago, Bill_Ong said:

you dont need it. its performance for old mechanical drives that are no longer cost competitive with SSD and its for keeping database servers running 24/7

13 minutes ago, Bill_Ong said:

5. *OFF TOPIC* What are the difference(s) between SSDs? What is the best type of SSD? Can you rank them performance wise, please?

you want a quick answer: look at the warranty provided. samsung evo drives are the best fkin bargain. manufacturer warranty = confidence in their product.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I'm planning to make my PC fully "RGBed", which kit would you suggest? Magnetic or double-sided tape???

The H440 is magnetic I believe, if so defernetely go for a magnetic strip. The tape is usually close to abismal and will peel off every other second.

11 minutes ago, Bill_Ong said:

If I'm going to upgrade it, what should be upgraded first?

Peripherals are always a great way to spend stupid amounts of money, but apart from that you should be set for the moment.

12 minutes ago, Bill_Ong said:

Should I invest more in SSD? Will I have to format and reinstall everything if I'm going to swap it? (SSD used for boot drive currently)

SSDs are stupid fast and fun, the 850 evo is a SATA SSD, which means its speed is limited by the SATA cable it's connected to. If you really want ludicrously fast speeds, look into m.2 NVMe or PCIe SSDs

14 minutes ago, Bill_Ong said:

*OFF TOPIC* What is RAID and how does it works?

RAID works by either saving a single file to multiple disks, thus increasing write speeds (but decreasing read speeds and security) or writing a single file to many different disks at the same time, making the write really slow, but increasing security. Or a combination of the two.

16 minutes ago, Bill_Ong said:

*OFF TOPIC* What are the difference(s) between SSDs? What is the best type of SSD? Can you rank them performance wise, please?

There is no "best" SSD, but PCIe-ones are defernetely the fastest. And the most expencive ^^

For most applications a SATA SSD (like the one you have) will suffice though.

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

RAID is interesting and there are lots of opinions, but the basic things you can do with RAID are:

0: striping, puts the data across multiple drives. it creates a large volume the sum of the total drives and can be faster written/read as it comes through multiple devices at once. Often used for speedy boot drives or caching

1: mirroring, identical data written to two drives. the primary upside to this is if one drive fails you will be able to keep up and running

5: striping with distributed parity, this means the drives are combined for the total space with one drive reserved as parity - it has data written in a way that allows one drive to fail but the remainder of the drives still have the sum of all the required data. this is used more often on NAS.

There are a few others but on a gaming system 0 or 1 is most likely to be used.

RAID is a Redundant Array of Independant/Inexpensive Disks basically a RAID combines disks to either increase speed or to increase 'safety'

There are several 'types' of RAID 0. 1,  10 etc

To increase speed what happens is the first half of information is written to the first disk the second part of information is written to the second disk this is called striping and is used in RAID 0.  Although this increases the speed it is very dangerous as if one disk is 'lost' all the data is useless and with two disks the chances of one failing are doubled(ish) .

To make the system safer all data can be written to a second disk (RAID 1) this is called mirroring so if one disk fails all the data is still intact on the other disk. However the storage space availlable versus space on the disks is halved

10) is really just 1 + 0 , much more complicated RAIDs can be built up but they pretty much don't apply to home setups

All this is pretty much rough and ready so check wikipedia and Linus' own video to glean more about RAIDs.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

On 4/11/2017 at 5:21 AM, Bill_Ong said:

Hey there!

I had spent years diving in IT infos, but absolutely new to PC building. I just built my first ever PC at a local PC hardware store, was fun honestly.

In case you're curious about my PC specifications, here are they:

MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 (Kaby Lake)

GPU: ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX1080 Ti O11G

CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 Self-contained Liquid Cooler

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz 16GB (8GBx2)

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB

PSU: Corsair RM650x Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU

Case: NZXT H440+ White

Monitor: Dell U2414H 23.8" 8ms 60Hz

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

Mouse Mat: Razer Goliathus Speed (Large)

Headset: Bose QuietComfort 15

I'll be using my PC mainly for video editing and gaming, as I set my target to further my studies abroad.

So, here are my questions:

Thanks in advance!

1.If your case is made up of material that can be magnetized,go with magnetic strips,if not,double sided tape is always a option

2.A m.2 NVME SSD,or a graphics card

3.Yes,if you want your computer to be a speed demon,defiantely get a m.2 NVME SSD Such as a Samsung 960 PRO,though there is no problem in using a regular SATA III SSD,some manufacturers send out clong software with their ssd's,though some cloning software like acronis is like $15

4.This should help about raid https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

5.There are 4 Kinds of intefaces for regular SSD's

SATA-The General type of SSD,slowest of all,the speed depends on what revision of SATA you        have,Example=SATA I=150mb/s,SATA II=300mb/s,SATA III=600mb/s

PCI-E-The Enthusiast,Enterprise Grade of SSD's,very fast

M.2-A kinda stick form-factor of SATA III SSD's,limited to SATA III SSD Speeds

M.2 NVME=A PCIx4 version of SATA III,regular M.2 SSD's,So 600x4=2400mb/s average,extremely fast

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

1. NZXT Hue+

2. Nothing to upgrade xD Maybe 2TB HDD?

3. Yes it's a good investment. I think there's a cloning software.

4. http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/raid-levels-tutorial

5. best type? NVMe SSD, way better performance than SATA SSD

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128