Does this look like a scam?

ClassyEnd

Hey guys, I found this on ebay and bought the last one. Does it look like a scam to you? Im not worried about the item not working because there's a return policy for it with an ebay money back guaruntee, but im still kinda skeptical. Anything weird you guys are seeing?

Heres the ebay link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112361965572

Probably is a scam, but eBay is almost always on the buyers side.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Sounds like a pretty clear scam. Even a dead 980 Ti is worth more than that to the people who would find a use for it (as a donor board for other GPUs, clearly)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I'd go for it, as there's often some weird listing on Ebay (in my experience) and Ebay tend to have you back with that sort of thing.

1 minute ago, EarthboundHero said:

Yea, luckily they have a buyer return policy. Ill be safe. But im more worried about it blowing up my computer or something LOL

Just now, Energycore said:

Sounds like a pretty clear scam. Even a dead 980 Ti is worth more than that to the people who would find a use for it (as a donor board for other GPUs, clearly)

Yea, I get what youre saying. I think imma still go for it and return it if need be

Other than the fact the user's only been active since 2 days ago (the 6th), and that they have no reviews, and they don't give much info, it seems to be okay.... :dry:

2 minutes ago, EarthboundHero said:

If it is a scam, then eBay should back you up and give you a refund. If it isn't, or even if it is a used card, it should be a good deal.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, ClassyEnd said:

Yea, I get what youre saying. I think imma still go for it and return it if need be

You'd just be wasting time though

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

You'd just be wasting time though

im just a high school student ive got all the time in the world bro lol

5 minutes ago, ClassyEnd said:

It's sold already no? 

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

It's sold already no? 

There was two left and my friend and I each bought 1

14 minutes ago, ClassyEnd said:

Does it look like a scam to you?

Yeah, I'd keep an eye on my bank account for some strange activity in the near future

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

so: 

• 0 rep
  • account made 2 days ago
  • price extremely low to the point where broken ones are more expensive
  • low price yet brand new+30 days warranty
  • not much of a description

how is this legit again?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

These type of sellers are becoming more and more common. Over at Amazon, they're referred as the "Just Launched" scammers since that's what Amazon calls sellers with no feedback yet. It's a basically a ton of overseas people, mostly from China, that make accounts and then sell things for too good of a price. Of course, once they sell the item, they never ship it. Now most people will get their money back but if the item is shipping from overseas, you will have to wait over a month to get your money back. In that time, they'll be long gone. I don't know how much they actually make with scams like this because typically Amazon and Paypal hold onto the money for a certain amount of time, but they must be making something to keep on doing it. 

i like these posts. someone should make a website like a gameshow called 'is this a scam?'

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Once the seller "ships" it in ebay, then usually paypal releases their money.

But if it never arrives, or isn't what it was supposed to be....they should return the money.

17 hours ago, Cyracus said:

Yeah, I'd keep an eye on my bank account for some strange activity in the near future

Luckily, since it's paypal, they cant make any hidden charges. Thanks for your concern, though <3

e3f1445e04e66b8f6a6e54b02341d109.png

come on

eBay has the buyers side 95% of the time though. Even if the seller provides proof. eBay near always has the buyer. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

4 minutes ago, ClassyEnd said:

Luckily, since it's paypal, they cant make any hidden charges. Thanks for your concern, though <3

That's what I thought the last time I used paypal, a few days later I had hundreds of dollars in fraudulent charges to deal with, so unless someone coincidentally ninja'd my cards details at the same time paypal letting me down is the only logical conclusion I could make

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

2 hours ago, Cyracus said:

That's what I thought the last time I used paypal, a few days later I had hundreds of dollars in fraudulent charges to deal with, so unless someone coincidentally ninja'd my cards details at the same time paypal letting me down is the only logical conclusion I could make

Did those transactions say PAYPAL and then a seller's name? If not, they likely got your card info some other way. 

Don't worry eBay is always on the buyer's side, even when wrong. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

I would never recommend taking a shot on these guys even if eBay has you covered.  You're helping a scammer and there's the slight chance they'll do more damage.  It's not likely but remember they have your ebay account name, full name and address.  One more piece of info gives them the means to social engineer their way into your account.  Obviously the risk is always there in online shopping, but you have to consider the odds of an ebay scammer attempting the stunt would be greater.

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎08 at 10:18 PM, Biggerboot said:

I would never recommend taking a shot on these guys even if eBay has you covered.  You're helping a scammer and there's the slight chance they'll do more damage.  It's not likely but remember they have your ebay account name, full name and address.  One more piece of info gives them the means to social engineer their way into your account.  Obviously the risk is always there in online shopping, but you have to consider the odds of an ebay scammer attempting the stunt would be greater.

at this point, you could always ship to a PO box, or use something similar to Canada Post's FlexDelivery (shipping to a post office for pickup)