More downloads = slower internet?

Does downloading 4 items on a single device at a one given moment slow down the internet more than just downloading one, or does the device have a certain amount of bandwidth to use and just spreads it evenly to each download so it doesn't slow down the internet anymore than just downloading one

Say you have a 100mbps down connection. That is the limit. You can never exceed that. You cannot and will not download 4 items at 100mbps, you download 4 items at 25mbps each (although in a real scenerio its not gonna be an even split, likely one will hog it and it will go 1 by 1).

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

12 minutes ago, T-BosTheBoss said:

Does downloading 4 items on a single device at a one given moment slow down the internet more than just downloading one, or does the device have a certain amount of bandwidth to use and just spreads it evenly to each download so it doesn't slow down the internet anymore than just downloading one

It usually depends on your connection speed. For example I have 150 down I can download ~40Mb/s to each. But then your connection to the router (wifi, ethernet, powerline) can also make it even more varied.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

It can vary on the various configurations or hardware limitations.

Certain programs you can set download caps or amount of items downloading at any given time.

If you are talking about downloading on once device then using another within the same network. Again you come back to certain configurations some routers will easily allow you to prioritize one device over another or you can also have a situation where the device has a slower connection to the router so will not use the entire connection speed e.g. desktop is connected by a 100mbs line but your network has a 200mb/s connection that desktop will only be able to use 100mb/s which may then be broken down within to give 4 downloads ~25mb/s. Unless of course/again there is software configuration limits e.g. you have 4 torrents downloading but it is set up to only allow 40mb/s then splitting those 4 downloads up into 10mb/s each.

I could go on with hypothetical scenarios but I have incoherently rambled on enough.

Hope this helps.

say someone on the internet is trying to play an online game, but I'm downloading something, with our 65 Mbps internet speed, that's fine, but if I download 4 items simultaneously, will it slow down the person playing online to get better download speed, or will it slow down all my downloads to let the other person continue playing online lag free

18 minutes ago, T-BosTheBoss said:

say someone on the internet is trying to play an online game, but I'm downloading something, with our 65 Mbps internet speed, that's fine, but if I download 4 items simultaneously, will it slow down the person playing online to get better download speed, or will it slow down all my downloads to let the other person continue playing online lag free

unconfigured it will slow the the internet on a whole, though some routers have setting you can configure so you can set bandwidth limits so no one person/computer can hog all the bandwidth.  So yes if you start downloading 4 things and you manage to use 65mbit of bandwidth your going to make the other person start to lag.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump