Does V-Sync matter on a G-Sync display?

orangecat

So I've been messing around with G-Sync and playing a bunch of games and from what i can tell turning V-Sync on and off makes no difference when using G-Sync.My games are still capped at 240Hz and input latency seems unchanged.

Nvidia control panel settings

Monitor Technology: G-Sync

Prefered Refresh rate (ROG PG258Q): Highest Available

Vertical Sync: Use 3D Application Setting

Enable G-Sync: Yes

Enable G-Sync for windowed and fullscreen mode: Yes

Games can't have 240 Hz, or any Hz. they have fps ^^

What exactly do you mean? Your Monitor can run at 240 Hz Refresh rate at all times, but Games can have any fps between 0 and whatever the Limit is (depending on CPU, Ram, GPU, Engine etc).

So, what is the exact situation during your test? How much FPS does the Game has? which game?

As long you don't hit 240 fps, V-Sync does nothing. Because you are in the G-Syn range. As soon you hit 240 fps, your fps would go higher, and you will have Tearing. Or, you can activate V-Sync, and have V-Sync working while over 240 fps.

G-Sync is V-Sync, only difference is G-Sync syncs with your GPU. You don't need it enabled pulling high frames, it's only worthwhile at lower framerates from my experience. 

On 4/7/2017 at 7:17 AM, Kilobytez95 said:

So I've been messing around with G-Sync and playing a bunch of games and from what i can tell turning V-Sync on and off makes no difference when using G-Sync.My games are still capped at 240Hz and input latency seems unchanged.

Nvidia control panel settings

Monitor Technology: G-Sync

Prefered Refresh rate (ROG PG258Q): Highest Available

Vertical Sync: Use 3D Application Setting

Enable G-Sync: Yes

Enable G-Sync for windowed and fullscreen mode: Yes

G-Sync is only used at or below your monitor's refresh rate. If your FPS passes above that point, G-Sync can no longer be used in that range, so you can choose either to enable V-Sync or FastSync in that situation (by setting it On in the NVIDIA control panel), or you can choose not to enable them, in which case you may get tearing, since you don't have G-Sync or V-Sync or anything active anymore. But this only applies when you pass above your monitor's refresh frequency, if you stay within that range, G-Sync is active all the time and V-Sync never takes over, so it makes no difference if you have it enabled as the backup or not.

For best practice, you should limit your FPS at or around 2 FPS below your G-Sync monitor refresh rate IF a game supports in-game FPS limiter. This way, you do not have to deal with V-Sync input lag issue and still get zero tearing.

nVIDIA control panel and Inspector does have FPS limit option, but they introduce significant input lag (nearly 2 x input lag). Its still better than v-sync but still does have quite an impact.