X99 M.2 Raid 0 Possible?

davidst95

Hi, I asked a question a few hours about setting up 2x M.2 SSDs in Raid 0 and received great answers.   Now I have been reading around the forum and have another question I can't find the answer.   Is it possible to have one M.2 NVMe SSD installed on a X99 motherboard, another one inserted in a PCIe card and create a RAID 0 setup for a boot drive?   I been looking at the MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon LGA 2011-3.   Thank you!

David

15 minutes ago, Qwweb said:

Why would you want a RAID 0 boot drive? The risks outweigh the rewards with this.

because if we can, why not. 

There aren't really any risks with SSD's nowadays. They are infinitely more durable than any hard drive out there. I've been running Raid0 840 EVO for 3 years and had no issues at all. 

It was only ever an issue in the very early days of SSD

1 minute ago, MimigaKing said:

because if we can, why not.

RAID 1 maybe, but personally I would never use a 0 array for a boot drive as (once again) the risks are much greater than the rewards. The way that RAID 0 works is in its very nature unstable as if one stripe is messed up or lost, you could potentially damage your OS. 

3 minutes ago, MimigaKing said:

There aren't really any risks with SSD's nowadays.

The risk comes from the RAID controller, not the SSD or HDD. Bear in mind that you only need to lose one stripe for a complete failure of both drives and that RAID 0 for boot times makes little to no difference with NVMe SSDs.

Hi, I'm sorry I haven't responding to say thanks to replies.   Since I have a X99 motherboard I guess I couldn't dow RAID 0 anyways with 2x M.2 NVMe drives.

David