Best CPU for Streaming

As someone who is thinking about getting a Ryzen v2 next year and would like to stream iRacing I'm pretty stoked about these results. Performance is only going to get better over the next year or so.

12 hours ago, rinslime said:

Why did they suddenly start listing videos later in the day? It's really throwing me off.

cannucks don't get out of bed til noon.

Haha can you say O'Canada!

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

6 minutes ago, LabRat said:

cannucks don't get out of bed til noon.

Newfies aren't out of bed until noon:30

1 minute ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

Newfies aren't out of bed until noon:30

As a Newfie, I lol'd.

16 minutes ago, rinslime said:

Why did they suddenly start listing videos later in the day? It's really throwing me off.

We haven't changed our standard release timing in a while...

4 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

We haven't changed our standard release timing in a while...

I usually wake up on saturday to a fresh episode of the wan show. Starting last week it started being listed in the middle of the day. Had to resort to the twitch stream.

Was it just a fluke?

3 minutes ago, rinslime said:

I usually wake up on saturday to a fresh episode of the wan show. Starting last week it started being listed in the middle of the day. Had to resort to the twitch stream.

Oh - with WAN Show we typically post Friday evenings (PDT), but since we had released our April Fool's video on Friday morning of last week we decided to wait until midday on Saturday to post.

All other releases are intended to post at noon PDT (ish) each day.

midday sasquatch time?

the other guy is right. the vids are showing up later. I notice it too. youtube thing?

Just now, LabRat said:

midday sasquatch time?

the other guy is right. the vids are showing up later. I notice it too. youtube thing?

We haven't made a significant adjustment to our release time, so if you're seeing them later than they're released based on YouTube's notifications or sub sharing then there's nothing we can really do about that :(

3 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Mm...

-there is a question mark in the title. The video attempts to answer the question. Whichever answer they obtain, I can't see how the title can be misleading or "clickbait". It describes what they test.

-Xeons for gaming, really? Outperforming the Intel CPUs used here? Are you complaining they didn't use high core count, low clock Xeons for a gaming+streaming test?

It sounds like a desperate attempt at finding something to complain about. Especially id the complain is not that the test could be more comprehensive, but that the title, of all things, is a problem...

the question mark is in the youtube title not the forum title it's also used improperly. "Ryzen is the best cpu for game streaming" is a statement not a question and a question mark doesn't work there, now they could use the question mark if they went with say "is Ryzen the best cpu for game streaming?". now if they wanted to go with with a clickbait style title without it being click bait they could use "Streaming games? well this is the cpu for you!"  they also could have used "Best Bang for your buck streaming cpu". when you use a title with "BEST CPU" in it you have to take all available cpus into account instead if you go with best bang for your buck you can instantly kick out most of ryzens competition xeons 2011-v3 since all of them are way out of the price range and some of the features that make them expensive (ECC, extra pcie lanes) are mostly pointless for streaming but if price were ignored 22 cores at 3.2 ghz each would certainly put up a fight. either way be careful with naming the key to using this style of title is to make sure its accurate others your dislike ratio will go up.

also the forum title is simply "best cpu for streaming" so no gaming which the xeon would crush in and even in gaming it should also crush it as long as the game was coded well

2 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

the question mark is in the youtube title not the forum title it's also used improperly. "Ryzen is the best cpu for game streaming" is a statement not a question and a question mark doesn't work there, now they could use the question mark if they went with say "is Ryzen the best cpu for game streaming?"

It's "$h!t manufacturers say". "Ryzen is THE BEST CPU for gaming and streaming" is AMD's marketing line. They add a question mark to the marketing claim, as they will put the claim to a test.

It ain't that hard if you think about it.

8 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

if price were ignored 22 cores at 3.2 ghz each

Except there's no such CPU.

10 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It's "$h!t manufacturers say". "Ryzen is THE BEST CPU for gaming and streaming" is AMD's marketing line. They add a question mark to the marketing claim, as they will put the claim to a test.

It ain't that hard if you think about it.

Except there's no such CPU.

E5-2699A v4 22 cores 44 threads base freq 2.4ghz and it can turbo up to 3.6ghz so assuming you have decent cooling 3.2 ghz at least so yeah not sure why you didn't think it existed 

Edit: i'm also pretty sure linus has 1 or 2 of either this one or a lower model of it

4 hours ago, Alaradia said:

Cmon really that title is just blatantly wrong. it may be the best priced cpu for streaming but it isn't the best you already have us on your website no need for these click bait titles.

4 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Did... did you watch the video?... Lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge's_law_of_headlines << Still a really overused clickbait strategy, even if you subverted it.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

Just now, nicklmg said:

Except that the answer, in this case, was "yes." Based on the testing we conducted it's the best consumer-grade CPU for streaming right now.

Thus why I said even if you subverted it. Its the style. 

I'm not upset or anything, it is what it is. Own it! :P

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

38 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

E5-2699A v4 22 cores 44 threads base freq 2.4ghz and it can turbo up to 3.6ghz so assuming you have decent cooling 3.2 ghz at least

Nope, turbo clock is for single core (check Intel's own information on the CPU). The argument was about all those cores helping (strictly speaking, all 22 of them), and we're talking of a 145W TDP CPU. It's 22x2.4GHz.

4 hours ago, nicklmg said:

The text on screen is what was actually used. We only have one 1080 Ti so they just used what we had on hand for the shot :( can see how that would be confusing!

Oh man, wouldn't it be kinda funny if you'd cover the other graphics cards with an image of a 1080ti "in post-production", but, like, 2-nd grade photoshop style?

4 hours ago, rinslime said:

During the Vessel era they were posting them at 12:01AM.

Out of interest...How does the Elgato HD Pro and Avermedia HD 2 PCI-E cards stack up in performance vs ryzen?

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Did you guys do any tests adding a webcam or other sources on top of the gameplay? I've been testing streaming with my 1700 using BF1 and it drops frames on the faster and veryfast preset unless I stream only gameplay (no webcam, chat, etc.)

and that's at 720p60

I thought it was the iTuna 6 CPU released by Microsoft.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

@LinusTech or @Slick What were the exact settings for these tests in OBS? I'm able to stream on my 6700k (X264 encoding), as well as knowing people who use a GTX 970 with NVENC encoding and it looks BEAUTIFUL for twitch. I would like to compare settings to see what was different. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi.