i5-6600k to Ryzen 1800x or i7-7700k For gaming?

Ok fam, so, here's the question. I'm currently running an i5-6600k on a Gigabyte Z170-xp-sli (rev 1.0) Mobo. Now, I'm having trouble streaming to pretty much anywhere, I drop frames, my game stutters, I've gone through pretty much every settings tutorial I can find, and nothing really seems to help. SO, even without that, I'm looking into upgrading my CPU. Now, I'm not sure if I should go Ryzen 1800x, or i7-7700k, both of which would also require a MoBo upgrade, or, should I stick with the 6th gen intel and just go i7-6700k? To be honest, I'm not super impressed with my Mobo, or with Gigabyte in general, but I think the mobo will serve for now. Thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_20170313_173909.jpg

what setting are you gaming at? and what are the specs of the rest of the system?

have you monitored your cpu to see if it is maxing out?  an i7 6700k is a pretty good chip and should be working fine and your motherboard is also decent

1 minute ago, listerfeend said:

Ok fam, so, here's the question. I'm currently running an i5-6600k on a Gigabyte Z170-xp-sli (rev 1.0) Mobo. Now, I'm having trouble streaming to pretty much anywhere, I drop frames, my game stutters, I've gone through pretty much every settings tutorial I can find, and nothing really seems to help. SO, even without that, I'm looking into upgrading my CPU. Now, I'm not sure if I should go Ryzen 1800x, or i7-7700k, both of which would also require a MoBo upgrade, or, should I stick with the 6th gen intel and just go i7-6700k? To be honest, I'm not super impressed with my Mobo, or with Gigabyte in general, but I think the mobo will serve for now. Thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

You don't need to change mobo if you want to go with 7700k just update your BIOS and you can use 7700k without any issue whereas for 1800x you should change mobo. Is gaming your preference or streaming? If gaming then 7700k if streaming 1700 not 1800x as 1700 can OC to equal speeds of 1800x and maybe even more offering similar performance so not worth spending 200$ more.

Streaming so Ryzen 7 1700x would be more than enough i guess

Behold the power of Chuck Norris the forbidden one.

You should just upgrade to the i7 so them you're only having the cost of a CPU rather than CPU and motherboard.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, TobiZY said:

I think you should stick to Intel. Go with a i7-7700K

intels better due to the higher clock speeds, but if you do other things on the PC, for example you also video edit do CAD or anything else multithreaded related I would suggest the R7 1700(X or non X) and overclocking them as they will be the best performance for you doing more things

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

If you want an AMD Ryzen 7, change the motherboard to a compatible one. aka AM4

now look at this net

I'm in the same camp, considering a 7700k and a bios upgrade first, Ryzen is nice but I really don't fancy building a whole new system!

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

3 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

what setting are you gaming at? and what are the specs of the rest of the system

I've tried all sorts of settings. At 720p 30fps 2000 bitrate, 1080p 30fps 1500 br, basically every setting I've been able to find. I have more luck with ShadowPlay than I've had with either X-split or OBS, though I've been using the free versions of those, and shadowplay is janky AF. Full-Specs are as follows

Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI (rev 1.0) MoBo
i5-6600k OC'd to I believe 4.2?
16gb Hyper X DDR4 (2400) RAM (2 x 8)
Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4gb

I'm at work, so I can't really check on specific settings or anything right this instant

That tiny Zotac mini... lol... I'd feel bad with such a small card in my rig xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 minutes ago, M.A.P said:

You don't need to change mobo if you want to go with 7700k just update your BIOS and you can use 7700k without any issue whereas for 1800x you should change mobo. Is gaming your preference or streaming? If gaming then 7700k if streaming 1700 not 1800x as 1700 can OC to equal speeds of 1800x and maybe even more offering similar performance so not worth spending 200$ more.

I was under the impression that Over Clocking the 7th gens required the z270 chipset. Am I mistaken, or would it work with the z170 chipset, I just wouldn't be able to do any OCing?

That option is fine right now, btw, I'm just curious.

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

That tiny Zotac mini... lol... I'd feel bad with such a small card in my rig xD

Don't worry, 1080 is being delivered today

11 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

what setting are you gaming at? and what are the specs of the rest of the system?

have you monitored your cpu to see if it is maxing out?  an i7 6700k is a pretty good chip and should be working fine and your motherboard is also decent

I have monitored temps, and it never seems to get about about 50c? And, for clarification, I have the i5-6600k. which I would still say is a pretty good chip. So, I'm not sure if there is more going on here, maybe my network is introducing some sheisty-ness or something?

3 minutes ago, listerfeend said:

I've tried all sorts of settings. At 720p 30fps 2000 bitrate, 1080p 30fps 1500 br, basically every setting I've been able to find. I have more luck with ShadowPlay than I've had with either X-split or OBS, though I've been using the free versions of those, and shadowplay is janky AF. Full-Specs are as follows

Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI (rev 1.0) MoBo
i5-6600k OC'd to I believe 4.2?
16gb Hyper X DDR4 (2400) RAM (2 x 8)
Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4gb

I'm at work, so I can't really check on specific settings or anything right this instant

I would get a better GPU before dropping money on a new processor 

I was under the impression that Over Clocking the 7th gens required the z270 chipset. Am I mistaken, or would it work with the z170 chipset, I just wouldn't be able to do any OCing?

That option is fine right now, btw, I'm just curious.

If you update the BIOS then you can OC any kaby lake K chip without any problem. You can find many answers in other forums too.

Just now, ELSknutson said:

Also how is the PC under normal gaming 

Thank you. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8G will be on my doorstep at lunch

1 minute ago, M.A.P said:

If you update the BIOS then you can OC any kaby lake K chip without any problem. You can find many answers in other forums too.

Ok, thanks for that! I didn't really understand the what the deal with the z270 vs z170 was when it came to OCing...I know it has more support for more PCIe lanes and such, just wasn't really sure if they locked down the OCing for Kaby.

I got around this problem with my R9 by using AMD Relive, for some reason ODB and a few others would result in stuttering streams especially on Doom4, yet using ReLive I've had some good results.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Just now, Kierax said:

I got around this problem with my R9 by using AMD Relive, for some reason ODB and a few others would result in stuttering streams especially on Doom4, yet using ReLive I've had some good results.

IS that AMD's version of GeForce ShadowPlay?

Yes, I belive so.  

Thank you. MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8G will be on my doorstep at lunch

Well make sure all your drivers are updated and run it with the new card and see how things are from there 

2 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

Also how is the PC under normal gaming 

PC is fine under normal Gaming. I mostly play Overwatch right now, and I run at 1080p Epic settings at 90-120 FPS. Fallout 4 is the other game on my system currently, I think that runs on High preset 1080p fairly smoothly, though it lags hard when loading new city cells.

Well make sure all your drivers are updated and run it with the new card and see how things are from there 

Definitely will do. I'm doing a clean install of windows when I install the card. Just because I don't really have anything on their worth saving, and I want to make sure I have no bugs :D