i5-6600k to Ryzen 1800x or i7-7700k For gaming?

6 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Ahh.. now I see why you feel the need to disprove me..

You bought a 1700...

Enjoy your 1700. 5 years from now when the 7700K you could have bought still holds up in games, i'll be laughing at you and your 10fps

Actually, I didn't. I have a 6700k, just like you, and plan on keeping it for the next 4 years. I've had it for 1 1/2 years and haven't regretted my decision. How about you provide a source instead of assuming I have a Ryzen CPU, which I don't?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

@Armakar here's evidence that Ryzen is way ahead of even the i3 7350k, and is on the same level as the other i5s.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2867-intel-i7-2600k-2017-benchmark-vs-7700k-1700-more

Your argument that i5s will pull away from Ryzen makes no sense since most games can already utilize 4 cores, and in the future games aren't gonna become more single threaded but more multi threaded, so Ryzen would, theoretically, only get farther away from i5s and closer to i7s.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Actually, I didn't. I have a 6700k, just like you, and plan on keeping it for the next 4 years. I've had it for 1 1/2 years and haven't regretted my decision. How about you provide a source instead of assuming I have a Ryzen CPU, which I don't?

Do you have a brain? Was I replying to you when I was saying " lol you bought a 1700"

No. I wasn't. That's why I replied to someone else. Use your eyes.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

Just now, Armakar said:

Do you have a brain? Was I replying to you when I was saying " lol you bought a 1700"

No. I wasn't. That's why I replied to someone else. Use your eyes.

Oh lol oops :P brain needs to wake up.

As for whether or not I have a brain, I sure hope so.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Oh lol oops :P brain needs to wake up.

As for whether or not I have a brain, I sure hope so.

I think everyone struggles with that conundrum...I'm not sure I have one either.

1 minute ago, listerfeend said:

I think everyone struggles with that conundrum...I'm not sure I have one either.

I BELIEVE MY PROCESSOR IS LACKING TRANSISTORS. I BELIEVE THAT I NEED TO VISIT MY LOCAL REPAIR SHOP TO CHECK MY TRANSISTOR LEVEL AND QUALITY.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

44 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Enjoy your 1700. 5 years from now when the 7700K you could have bought still holds up in games, i'll be laughing at you and your 10fps

Not true, 1700 is more future proof. It has a higher core count. thats why. 

Quadcores will be "out" in 10 years. Most of the newer games do better with more cores

Just now, AndriesM said:

Quadcores will be "out" in 10 years. Most of the newer games do better with more cores

At the same time, you're not gonna be keeping your CPU for 10 years.

My stance on Ryzen 7 won't change. Only gaming? Get a 7700k. Doing other multi thread workloads like video editing/rendering/encoding, CAD applications that are multi threaded (I'm looking at you and your poor multi threaded performance Solidworks), or streaming? Get Ryzen.

I don't think there's anyone out there that is gonna buy a $350 CPU today and not upgrade in 6 years or less.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Doing other multi thread workloads like video editing/rendering/encoding, CAD applications that are multi threaded (I'm looking at you and your poor multi threaded performance Solidworks), or streaming? Get Ryzen.

I have Solidworks. It is only tells one core to do something. That's the problem of SW. 

I have a nVidia Quadro K4000 in my SW system btw(Cant game on that card)

2 minutes ago, AndriesM said:

I have Solidworks. It is only tells one core to do something. That's the problem of SW. 

I have a nVidia Quadro K4000 in my SW system btw(Cant game on that card)

Solid works is horribly unoptimized for multiple cores. No idea why. I think most others are but SW just isn't. Like wat.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

you're not gonna be keeping your CPU for 10 years.

Didn't say that. But in a 5 years, itll be faster

Just now, DocSwag said:

Solid works is horribly unoptimized for multiple cores. No idea why. I think most others are but SW just isn't. Like wat.

IK, So get a 560 rad CPU cooler and slam in that OCable i3 xD

3 minutes ago, AndriesM said:

IK, So get a 560 rad CPU cooler and slam in that OCable i3 xD

And then disable one core and hyper threading.

SINGLE CORE ALL THE THINGS.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

And then disable one core and hyper threading.

SINGLE CORE ALL THE THINGS.

That's what SW would like. I think it isn't a bad idea. But if the rig runs SW smooth and fails at multitasking. Its kinda strange

1 minute ago, AndriesM said:

That's what SW would like. I think it isn't a bad idea. But if the rig runs SW smooth and fails at multitasking. Its kinda strange

They're definitely paid off Intel shills that know AMD is better at multi tasking but worse single threaded tasks so they make it single threaded to hurt AMD look at these Intel shills /s

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

They're definitely paid off Intel shills that know AMD is better at multi tasking but worse single threaded tasks so they make it single threaded to hurt AMD look at these Intel shills /s

Ya, that kinda sucks. But overall the 1700 is better. If you go to SW then. Just disable 7 cores and 14 threads. and OC

2 minutes ago, AndriesM said:

Ya, that kinda sucks. But overall the 1700 is better. If you go to SW then. Just disable 7 cores and 14 threads. and OC

lol I don't know why but that just sounds funny to do.

Now I'm curious though how far you could push Ryzen if you disable all but one core... Approaching 5 ghz maybe?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

lol I don't know why but that just sounds funny to do.

Now I'm curious though how far you could push Ryzen if you disable all but one core... Approaching 5 ghz maybe?

A friend of me has an AMD Phenom II X4 970. (has TDP of 125) and in the OC menu, there is an option to OC till 5.3 GHz. His mobo can take 6.3 max. But if he wants to go for 5.3. He'll need a hell of a cooler.

ATM he runs at 3,785 GHz. So not bad for such a CPU.

He has a cooler similar too a TX4. and reaches 45 C in idle. Pretty impressive tho!

10 minutes ago, AndriesM said:

A friend of me has an AMD Phenom II X4 970. (has TDP of 125) and in the OC menu, there is an option to OC till 5.3 GHz. His mobo can take 6.3 max. But if he wants to go for 5.3. He'll need a hell of a cooler.

ATM he runs at 3,785 GHz. So not bad for such a CPU.

He has a cooler similar too a TX4. and reaches 45 C in idle. Pretty impressive tho!

Ah, the good 'ol phenoms. That beat their successor, bulldozer, in IPC.

That is strange though that there's a 5.3 option. Maybe it's for ln2? 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Maybe it's for ln2? 

Gotta ask that

1 hour ago, AndriesM said:

Damn it! xD People are always forgetting that Ryzen is not a simple 8 core CPU, it has 2 quad core CCXs, so even if games start using more cores, don't expect Ryzen to outperform an X99 CPU, it may be a bit faster than a Z270 CPU though. The reason why this will be the case, is because games if games starts using more cores, cores that are in different CCXs will have to communicate and the added latency will cause performance issues. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Damn it! xD People are always forgetting that Ryzen is not a simple 8 core CPU, it has 2 quad core CCXs, so even if games start using more cores, don't expect Ryzen to outperform an X99 CPU, it may be a bit faster than a Z270 CPU though. The reason why this will be the case, is because games if games starts using more cores, cores that are in different CCXs will have to communicate and the added latency will cause performance issues. 

But If you look at the title: 

Then you know the thread owner wants Z170 or Z270 or X370

So X99 is "out in this thread" i think. 

But you are right tho

Just now, AndriesM said:

But If you look at the title: 

But you are right tho

I mean, I could get down on an X99 platform. But that is kinda a lot of money for me right now

1 minute ago, AndriesM said:

But you are right tho

Yeah, I was correcting the futureproof part :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, listerfeend said:

I mean, I could get down on an X99 platform. But that is kinda a lot of money for me right now

Well, X99 is a more futureproof solution. In 3-4 years, you will be able to get a 6950X for $300 on ebay. But X99 is a more expensive platform, so I think that for gaming Z270 (with 7700K) is the best choice right now.

BTW, since you already own a Z170 board, just get a 7700K, it is a $300 upgrade and it will give you the best gaming performance you can get ;)