Twitch starts selling Games

Napper198

Well it's official now, Amazon is now selling games through Twitch.

If you happen to come across a stream wich features a game listed below you can now see a buy button below the stream itself so you're only one click away from checkout. Add-ons and micro transactions for free2play titles are also available.

The download requires the Twitch desktop app.

If the streamer happens to be a twitch partner they'll receive a 5% kick back from that purchase. Purchases of 5$ or higher will also get you a Twitch loot box which can contain stuff like emotes and things you can put on your profile.

Featured games list:

I think it's cool that streamers get a little kick back from this and that you get a little useless extra on top but I'm not sure if it is enough to lure me off of Steam for now. I also hope that streamers don't start begging for purchases now.

Source 1: Gamestar (german)

Source 2: Twitch Blog

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

So would this give you a steam code or would they launch through twitch?

Anyways, that's really cool, great way to support streamers. Hope this makes it to the level of amazon affiliate codes.

good luck to them.

one thing though that everybody who starts these game stores needs to understand is that their customers are not just gamers but game developers. One of the reasons steam is successful is they give a good experience to game developers and you have tools to easily manage your backend and provide your content to customers. That's the area guys like gog need to catch up on..

5 minutes ago, EminentSun said:

They will launch through the twitch app. I already claimed some of the games that came free with Twitch prime and I can start them just fine from their own shortcut but I guess games with more restrictive DRM might need the twitch client to be running in the background

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

well the open competition between gog, steam and origin is a healthy thing for pc gaming. One thing you've got to appreciate on pc is that nobody offers 3rd party devs bribes to be exclusive to a particular store (except maybe oculus). E.g. Valve chooses to only sell their games on steam but they do not offer any other devs exclusivity deals. They can be on steam and other stores simultaneously. Same goes for EA, they choose to only sell their games on origin but they do not offer bribes to other devs to only be on origin. It's quite a difference from the console world...

I like this marginally better than Steam, because although I'm unlikely to use a Twitch client, I could use it for purposes of watching streams (well, just the WAN show really). So if I had it for that reason anyway, I could tolerate having games linked to it.

My main problem with Steam is that it's bloatware with no purpose other than DRM.

I like my games as standalone and offline as possible.

38 minutes ago, Humbug said:

good luck to them.

one thing though that everybody who starts these game stores needs to understand is that their customers are not just gamers but game developers. One of the reasons steam is successful is they give a good experience to game developers and you have tools to easily manage your backend and provide your content to customers. That's the area guys like gog need to catch up on..

yea, they do have some sort of unified launcher but i never tried it, they should heavily invest in that.

Great, can't wait to see streamers be salesmen now haha.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I already have too many launchers :S

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

8 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

I already have too many launchers :S

that's what I'm thinking too. 1 is fine, I might consider a second one if it adds enough value but no way I have 4-5 running. I mean steam, Origin, uPlay, GOG Galaxy, now Twitch which we might see a rebranded one from amazon itself too and I bet you Humble Bunlde isn't far from it's own one either.

1 minute ago, Napper198 said:

I mean steam, Origin, uPlay, GOG Galaxy, now Twitch which we might see a rebranded one from amazon itself too and I bet you Humble Bunlde isn't far from it's own one either.

Isn't the whole point of GOG, among other things, no third-party software requirements?

Anyway, I agree with you: one launcher is fine. And it's called Windows.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Isn't the whole point of GOG, among other things, no third-party software requirements?

Anyway, I agree with you: one launcher is fine. And it's called Windows.

90% of GOGs catalog will probably never recieve an update again and you also have the option to just directly download from their site as everything on their plattform is DRM free. Their launcer is only intended for the modern titles which still recieve updates and add-ons.

14 minutes ago, ADM-Ntek said:

why is warframe on that list it is F2P.

I think they sell an add-on, not the game itself.

My major problem with Twitch selling games through it's own client is that, A) we already have too many clients. And B) There is no point to this client. Lets look at each popular client and their "Claim to fame"

Valve's Steam: The biggest and most universal client.
CDP's GOG: DRM Free with optional clent
EA's Origin: EA Centric Client with Exclusive way of playing EA games on PC.

Ubisoft's Uplay: mandatory client for playing Ubisoft games, games can be bought through Steam.
Humble Bundle: Storefront for buying both steam keys and DRM free games most of the time bundled together    

Amazon's Twitch Client: You can buy games with giving the streamer a cut. Oh, and you get free emotes and stuff.

Unless Amazon has some seriously good exclusives(Which they don't have right now, nor have announced any interesting ones yet).\

I fear that they will "Purchase" some exclusive PC versions of games so no other platform(Steam) gets certain games.

9 hours ago, EminentSun said:

The twitch app (http://app.twitch.tv) I'm in the beta for breakaway and the twitch app has a launcher section.

"twitch desktop app required" fuck that ! Already sick of blizzard and origin. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

18 hours ago, EminentSun said:

Wow this would be really dumb move by Twitch/Amazon. If they lock the games on their desktop app I would not play it. I have a few games locked on U-play and EA launcher (don't know the name) that I refuse to play at all. I don't have and SSD anymore and I don't want 4+ game launchers running on my machine.