FOLLOW-UP: Intel follows through with sale of McAfee

In a follow-up to an article posted by @zMeul in June of last year, Intel has followed through with a sale of 51% of their shares of McAfee to TPG.  According to the article, Intel will retain a 49% stake in the company and will:

...continue to provide support and access to its resources, including "significant financial, operational, and technology."

"We offer Chris Young and the McAfee team our full support as they establish themselves as one of the largest pure-play cybersecurity companies in the industry," said Brian Krzanich, Intel CEO. "Security remains important to Intel, and in addition to our equity position and ongoing collaboration with McAfee, Intel will continue to integrate industry-leading security and privacy capabilities in our products from the cloud to billions of smart, connected computing devices."

http://hothardware.com/news/intel-spinning-off-mcafee-as-42b-standalone-company

The main reason that it appears that Intel is maintaining a relationship currently would appear to be to try and incorporate Hardware Based security features into their products.  The main items of interest that the article mentions these being used in would be Internet of Things devices.  While I personally don't care for McAfee, I definitely can see a benefit to IoT security, especially with the news of how those devices are subverted for DDoS attacks.  On the other side of this though, it opens the way to something very similar to what we see with Kaby Lake and the hardware based DRM.

"significant financial, operational, and technology."

Welp...

/s

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

I don't know much about their endpoint/server protection, but I'd sooner recommend a free AV over the desktop McAfee AV.  Heck, I'd even go so far as to recommend MSSE over it.  The worst "mainstream" AV software I have ever encountered.  Norton beats it out, but only slightly.  I'll stick with my NOD32.

So now it's only $5.6b loss?

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

9 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I don't know much about their endpoint/server protection, but I'd sooner recommend a free AV over the desktop McAfee AV.  Heck, I'd even go so far as to recommend MSSE over it.  The worst "mainstream" AV software I have ever encountered.  Norton beats it out, but only slightly.  I'll stick with my NOD32.

Norton AV has improved in leaps and bounds recently, for the last 2 years its been in the top 3 overall performers behind only Kaspersky & Bit Defender (in reality all 3 tie the top position will full marks across the board)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

If there's one thing Intel is really good at, it's wasting money on pointless projects and aqusitions.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL