8ms vs 5ms

giorgi
Go to solution Solved by flibberdipper,

Unless you're Linus, no.

EDIT: Ninja'd  :ph34r:

hi guys im going to buy a new monitor but im having a hard time deciding. the only place i can buy is amazon and i want an ips monitor and these are the monitors i picked Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23 and ASUS VS239H-P 23 dells features are really good like the hdmi output and the usb hub  but will the longer response time make any real world difference in games

Unless you're Linus, no.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

hi guys im going to buy a new monitor but im having a hard time deciding. the only place i can buy is amazon and i want an ips monitor and these are the monitors i picked Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23 and ASUS VS239H-P 23 dells features are really good like the hdmi output and the usb hub  but will the longer response time make any real world difference in games

Considering I wouldn't use HDMI, I'd go with the faster response time.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

it really doesn't matter in my eyes... I suppose you probably won't be able to see it either.

There is no standard ms rating system, different manufacturers do it differently (grey to grey etc)

But you can't notice the difference, even up to like 20ms you won't notice anything.  

You will only notice at stupidly high numbers like 40ms or something, which only BAD tv's have.

The Input latency is the most important thing you need to look at, that can cause many issues.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Try to dig up the input latency numbers instead. If you can, they're usually not marketed.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

longer response times usually means more motion blur, more visual artifacts when you have fast moving images, so I would suggest a lower response time to be more suitable for gaming. Although you could easily argue that the difference between 5ms and 8ms is barely noticeable.

I can sort of understand why some people think response time is important... Here's a quote from Wikipedia, bare in mind that Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source of information...

A worst-case response time of >16ms is insufficient for video gaming, due to the human eye being able to perceive differences in response times greater than 5ms. The difference between response times once below 10ms at 60Hz begin to become harder to perceive due to limitations of the human eye

In my honest opinion response time is important, but not as important as other things such as colour accuracy, viewing angles, and input lag like @Matsy mentioned

No, you cant possibly notice  -/+3 miliseconds.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Unless you're Linus, no.

If he can't read the spec he won't notice either. Would be a great test to do on the show.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

You may not see the difference, but I can tell in competive multiplayer, whether it's in game mode or standard with all the processing. Huge difference going from 5ms to 2ms. My friend in UK went from 5ms to 1ms and doesn't know why he didn't do this sooner.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Response time is a "false" figure.

Here I explain why: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/29257-how-noticable-is-response-time/?p=372554

In sum, the problem is that they are no standard way to measure response time. Every manufacture is different, and sometimes it varies within different series (graphics/professional, gaming, budget monitors).

The prime problem, is that for every response time you see, they always mention "g-t-g", meaning "gray to gray", meaning the speed of changing from 1 gray to another. The problem is.. which gray? is it the same gray color, or extremely close, or are they very far apart? No standardization.

That aside, DO NOT get the Dell U2312HM. Get the NEWER model: Dell P2414H or P2314H (both the same, same resolution (1980x1080), just one is 24inch and the other 23inch).

What's improved?

-> No PWM back light control (this is very good. You don't want PWM.. ASUS has PWM to control the back light brightness).

-> A bit faster real life response time.

-> Different LG eIPS panel, that isn't plagued with manufacture errors (the U2312HM, was the early eIPS panels, which might explain why it had a lot of manufacture issues).

-> Reduce back light bleeding to very low levels

-> Super fast internal circuit, providing an impressive <2ms input lag. This beats nearly all TN panel, including gaming ones.

Full in-depth monitor review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_p2414h.htm

While the the P2414H and P2314H are not part of the UltraSharp series, it shares the same 3 year warranty premium panel guaranty. Meaning 6 or more dead pixel, anywhere, no zones or distance policy -> replacement, and 1 or more stuck and bright pixel, anywhere, -> replacement.

Any RMA, including for dead/bright pixel, shipping is paid and arranged, BOTH direction by Dell (at least in Canada and US... it should be the same everywhere, but call to be sure, as your local laws might vary things).

Also, you get to keep the monitor, while you wait for the replacement one (in the box of the replacement, you'll find a pre-paid shipping label, just swap the monitors, and stick the pre-paid shipping label over the old one, and call the appropriate mail carrier to come and pick it up).

The U2312HM looks like it will be discontinued soon... probably Dell is emptying it's stuck.

In reality, when the U2312HM, it didn't make sense to arrive in the UltraSharp series, as it's a fairly low end for an UltraSharp series. I guess they put it inside, because it was an IPS panel. But now that Dell is transitioning away TN panel (an announcement they did several years back), I guess now it will return to the Professional (P) series.

I was happily gaming on 12ms back in the day so 8ms really shouldn't be an issue :D

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

That quote about the human eye not being able to see anything less than a 5ms difference made me laugh, that's like saying "the human eye can't see more than 30fps so higher framerates don't matter".  It's completely untrue and misleading.  With that being said, you probably won't see any difference between a 5ms and 8ms if they are measured in similar fashion.  The problem is that every company measures it differently and it wouldn't surprised me if the same companies measured their own monitors differently.

As others have said:  the bigger deal is what the input/processing lag on the panel is.  Most IPS/PLS monitors have pretty significant lag (20-30ms) and if you play online multiplayer games at all you WILL notice that difference.  I strongly recommend against IPS panels for gaming if you play online multiplayer, if you play mostly single player AAA type games:  knock yourself out.  There is an Asus monitor with pretty low input lag, and some of the korean panels are decent (the bypass boards lacking scalers) but it all depends what you want and what your risk tolerance is.

If there was a glossy lightboost 144hz TN panel available today I'd be all about that, but I'm hoping that sooner than later we will see a true 120hz IPS 1440p monitor with lightboost in the next year or two!!  Go Asus, BenQ and Samsung!  Get to work on my monitor and make sure a glossy option is offered for people like me who can't stand matte coatings!

I can see the difference! I can see everything! trolling through. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I personally enjoy 5ms. Every monitor I've ever bought but one was a 5ms (Only other MS monitor I've bought was a 3ms monitor) which I could notice the ghosting. 

こんにちは, まだ学習漢字 ;)

The Dell U2312HM does NOT have a HDMI port, it's displayport.

I have a U2312HM.