DNS and SRV guideline?

Joveice

Hello, I have used SRV records before to point stuff with etc ts3.mydomain.com to a teamspeak server or mc.mydomain.com to a minecraft server and it was simple to setup.

Now I think I have found the real way to do it (I changed to a new dns provider) and this time I have no idea how to do it as I do not understand this way, after some googling it looks like this is the "default" way to do stuff and they link to this: 

_service._proto.name. TTL class SRV priority weight port target.

And the page looks like this

srv.png.de2ac6ffaf421a16d00b11ed44ed658e.png

So would this be correct?

Servant: _ts3._udp.mydomain.com

SRV data: ts3.mydomain.com

Priority: 1 (Please explain what this does?)

Weight: 1 (Same for this?)

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"

I'd assume that the service would be _ts3 like minecraft would be _minecraft.

If you having issues with this, please PM me and I will be able to help more :)

The priority field determines the precedence of use of the record's data. Clients should use the SRV records with the lowest-numbered priority value first, and fall back to records of higher value if the connection fails.

Weight:

# _service._proto.name.  TTL   class SRV priority weight port target.
_sip._tcp.example.com.   86400 IN    SRV 10       60     5060 bigbox.example.com.
_sip._tcp.example.com.   86400 IN    SRV 10       20     5060 smallbox1.example.com.
_sip._tcp.example.com.   86400 IN    SRV 10       20     5060 smallbox2.example.com.
_sip._tcp.example.com.   86400 IN    SRV 20       0      5060 backupbox.example.com.

The first three records share a priority of 10, so the weight field's value will be used by clients to determine which server (host and port combination) to contact. The sum of all three values is 100, so bigbox.example.com will be used 60% of the time. The two hosts smallbox1 and smallbox2 will be used for 20% of requests each, with half of the requests that are sent to smallbox1 (i.e. 10% of the total requests) and the remaining half to smallbox2. If bigbox is unavailable, these two remaining machines will share the load equally, since they will each be selected 50% of the time.

If all three servers with priority 10 are unavailable, the record with the next lowest priority value will be chosen, which is backupbox.example.com. This might be a machine in another physical location, presumably not vulnerable to anything that would cause the first three hosts to become unavailable.

The load balancing provided by SRV records is inherently limited, since the information is essentially static. Current load of servers is not taken into account.

SOURCE

Regards,

Leon.